PDA

View Full Version : Off Double Island Charter 03/08/08, a PB, lost rods and $200 poorer

Black_Rat
04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
We departed for our annual company fishing trip from the marina in Noosa about 5:30am aboard the two charter boats MV Trekka I & II with 25 eager blokes 15 on the big boat and 10 on the other boat. A couple of hours later we were fishing of Double Island around 10 miles out.

Our first few drops bought around 4 keepers aboard and about the same in throw backs. On my third drop latch onto something BIG ! only for the bottom dropper to give way at the knot moments later >:( I’d tied the dropper out of the main line which is 50lb but usually use 80lb which I was too lazy to find and make up. After an ear bashing from the skipper he soon had me another dropper made up this time in thick 70lb.

After our first few drops and a few fish on board the fish seemed to go off the chew. This was the case at every stop we made which was under anchor. There was no current at all just straight down in 50 - 60m. Even the floater rigs with small ball sinkers managed to hit the bottom. The skipper put the poor bite down to the lack of current. :(

On another drop at a spot I got what I thought was bricked by something big, no real hit just a steady weight. So I decided to load up my rod and try and get it out. The rod was under pressure for around 20 seconds when I had a look around to see someone else was on cheering away. This distraction and small swell that raised the boat was just enough to hear the sound of my Live Fibre M10 going “snap !” :o O’ dear there goes $200 worth of rod. My fault really :-[ but I’ve had the rod loaded up before hauling up sharks and never had a drama. So never high stick a Live Fibre ! there not invincible.

We had one guy drop a rod and reel (line was out) from the charter mob straight over board ! Plop ! :o The skipper didn’t seem too fussed or he was just holding his tongue simply saying someone will probably get tangled up with it and bring it aboard. 5 Mins later up comes an Alvey and a 6ft rod !! (some bloke thought he was on !)

I managed to land a PB Snapper going 73cm 8-) on a Nuclear Chicken of all things ! Bait was going OK so I slipped on a pilled on the bottom dropper and a 5 inch chook on the top dropper and 2 drops later into a good snap. By this time of the day it was time to head back and probably bought out the chooks earlier.

Best catch of the day was a Red Emperor around 75cm ;D , about 4-5 Snapper in the 70cm range, a stonker Pearlie and a mix of squire, pearlies, trag, a couple of Parrot, a couple of Flatties, Bar Cod, Mosses pearch and Hussar. Some huge catties were also caught and released.

A top day out with it never getting above 10kts which was a relief after the last one was cancelled do to gale force winds and 4m swell and even better when the boss pays ;D !! A few piccies to follow.

skipalong
04-08-2008, 07:56 PM
awesome haul fellas, my mate clint is the skipper of the big boat trekka

Black_Rat
04-08-2008, 07:59 PM
awesome haul fellas, my mate clint is the skipper of the big boat trekka

Yeah top bloke ! Cut down a few of the blokes who dared give him any crap ;D ;D ;D

Tangles
04-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Damo,

good to see you getting some 1770 practice;D shame about the rod but looks like you boys hooked up on some nice fish

mike

Black_Rat
04-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I'd have no dramas going with this charter mob again ;)

I'd love to do an overnighter trip to DI ;D

JustOneMore
05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Good work Damo. All the close reefs were quite, but we got a feed.

Have you decided what the replacement rod will be?

Cheech
05-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Excellent day (apart from the rod). Di area is on my to do list. Bout time you got a new avatar and replaced our ugly mugs.

skipalong
05-08-2008, 05:37 PM
hey mate how deep of water were you fishing

Getout
05-08-2008, 05:55 PM
I heard the chatter on the radio. Had a bit of fun getting back up the river after crossing the bar by the sound of it?

Black_Rat
05-08-2008, 06:41 PM
hey mate how deep of water were you fishing

We were fishing between 50 - 60 meters

Black_Rat
05-08-2008, 06:47 PM
I heard the chatter on the radio. Had a bit of fun getting back up the river after crossing the bar by the sound of it?

Yeah comming back over the bar was fine but just past the bar he had to back the boat over some parts with everyone the bow :o the bigger boat draws 2 and a half foot

Black_Rat
05-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Good work Damo. All the close reefs were quite, but we got a feed.

Have you decided what the replacement rod will be?

Don't know yet, I have another 7 ft 15-24kg Live Fibre so maybe something around 6ft

Lucky_Phill
05-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I know a rod builder ;) that could do you something in the 6' - 7ft range for less than the price of a new Live Fibre, and IMO, a better rod. 15-24kg....

Good to hear you gettin in some practice for 1770.

Nothing hurts more than losing a fish by ones own fault..... doh !

That is one large Pearlie you guys hauled up. nice.

That area is alive with Whales this time of year, it wasn't that long ago I was doing an overnighter north of Wolf Rock and one decided to break the surface within 20ft of the boat.... a change of underwear was in order after that. :o

catch up soon.

Phill

not_drowning_wavin
06-08-2008, 07:58 PM
It was a great trip Damo........good job organising it all, even better when the boss is paying ;o) You booked in next years yet?
You picked the wrong boat though!........Trekka II did much better in the fish department, and an hour less travel time each way!

Black_Rat
06-08-2008, 08:21 PM
It was a great trip Damo........good job organising it all, even better when the boss is paying ;o) You booked in next years yet?
You picked the wrong boat though!........Trekka II did much better in the fish department, and an hour less travel time each way!

Cam,

I busted Phillip eating a banana onboard Trekka II at the dock before we left :o
He then decided to jump aboard Trekka I >:( so that's why we didn't go so well :P Half-way through the trip I found another 2 blokes had them onboard :hammer: Maybee a strip search next year should take place ;D ;D ;D