PDA

View Full Version : Keeper Shoals and the Cape

Shanoss
03-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I wont even try and match the epic tales told on here recently. Certainly some good yarn spinners making for some entertaining reading. Headed out wide on friday evening, boat ramp pretty much full by 6.30pm. Not suprising with a forecast of 5-10's for saturday. Pulled up on spot no. 1. plenty of show on the sounder, but no bites. For some reason the current was just not there. Headed out a bit further to spot no. 2. Yet again, plenty of show, but now heaps of bites. Bagged out on Small mouth Nanni with a few large mouth in there for good measure. My crew consisted of a novice that has caught a total of two fish in his life. SO you can imagine the fun he had when he hooked one redfish after the other.. Though he was looking a little ragged after hooking up on a shark or something that dragged him around the boat for the next half hour on 50lb braid... So pale in fact i thought maybe he needed to head for home. Got to the cape and realised i was never gonna get the boat out with the low tide so decided to anchor up till the morning. Old mate feeling much better by now. Splendid conditions and slow fishing was the order of the day along with some very curious whales. Actually, they were the highlight of the trip. And in case anyone is wondering, they approached the boat.

Cheers

Shane

disorderly
03-08-2008, 09:28 PM
You sure do know how to catch those small mouths,Shane.
Your deckie must have had fun till he hooked up on the shark.
Do you ever get any red emperor in that spot?

Mate, the whales have been a real feature lately..my little boy got to see a real whopper up close last weekend....though not quite so close as the one in your photohttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/shocked.gif.

Scott

Shanoss
03-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I must admit, the one in the first pic gave me a bit of a fright. He was coming straight at the boat and probably was only 10 feet under the boat when he went under us. They are truly amazing animals when you get to see them that close.
Nah mate, no Emporer there. I'm still struggling to catch them.

Fishin_Dan
04-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Nice work Shane! Those whales do make you pucker a bit when they go underneath you...
Can't complain about bagging out on Nannies either... Yum! :)

Scott nthQld
04-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Great catch Shane, well done on the nannies. I also found them hard to find, but that may have been because of the carpark the shoals were on saturday.

Seen a few whales too, made me nervous considering one's tail looked nearly as wide as my boat is long.

jtpython
04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Nice going
Thw whales are a bonus specially that close .......... But intimidating
Always good to watch a novice on a huge fish lol
Grates on the Nannies always a good chewing
JT

Fisher4life
04-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Congrats on bagging out on the nannies, there were definitely a few around!

Did you manage to find any other species for the box while you were out there??