PDA

View Full Version : fighting for moreton bay fishing rights

mudrunner
03-08-2008, 07:26 PM
im new to this problem.

but one thing seems obvious. it is likely the lib/nats will win the next state election. has springboard been approached? what did he say?

or...a class action, funded by fishers, boaties etc, aimed at epa or state gov. has anyone considered going down that road?

mudrunner
03-08-2008, 07:35 PM
ive made 5 (now 6) posts on this forum today and havent recieved a reply to any of them....

what...? is this a 'clicky' forum or something???

FNQCairns
03-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Not really it's just the average fisho has been wet socket and disfranchised to such a degree over what's reasonable in our quasi democratic society it's hard to get interested in trying to defend doing no harm until they have the shaft primed and us blokes gagged and bent over.

cheers fnq

mudrunner
03-08-2008, 07:48 PM
it's hard to get interested in trying

wow. i find that hard to believe....!! you mean there is NO organised protest group??!!!

FNQCairns
03-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Yeah there is, someone will fill you in, although they have no voter block behind them so will need to go at best hat in hand to the landlord.....

cheers fnq

mudrunner
03-08-2008, 07:56 PM
thanks for the replies fnq...

anyone know who the 'protest group' is? have they a web site? email?

Reel Nauti
03-08-2008, 08:06 PM
People will find it hard to respond to anyone who appears to know more than anyone else. Libs/Nats likely to win the next election? On what are you basing that? Regardless of my political allegiance, which you do not know, personally I find your opening comment alone to be somewhat offensive. (maybe that's not the right word). Then you go on to talk about a class action. Are you real???? Have YOU asked Springborg of his thoughts on Moreton Bay?????

Calm down a bit and read a lot. You might find a more receptive audience that way.

Dave

FNQCairns
03-08-2008, 08:11 PM
There are lot's of post back through the pages here, MBAA is the highest brow I believe, there is also www.savemoretonbay.org.au (http://www.saveourbay.org) or something like that, well thats not it but all can be unfolded further back in the pages here.

Good luck, as you can see, we have moved onwards and backwards:P.

cheers fnq

mudrunner
03-08-2008, 08:21 PM
cheers FNQ....very decent of you.....

SummerTrance
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
I dont beleive the newly formed coalition will win the next election. State Labour steamrolled the last election, when there was lots of community anger towards them over a range of issues. I dont think the next state election will be any different. I beleive the QLD libs/nats are still in shambles, and there's no way they could manage our thriving state economy.

If you did some research, you would see there has been plenty of protests (and ausfish anger) over the Moreton Bay green zones issues. Use the search function. I think most of us are now resigned to the fact its going to happen, regardless of our protests. I also dont think Moreton Bay fishers, hold enough voting power (compared to the greenies) to have any sway in an election result.

Chris Ryan
04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Spinner,

I am the President of Save Our Bay Association Inc as well as an Executive on the Committee of the Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party and have been involved in this for a while.

The location of the site you need www.saveourbay.org.au (http://www.saveourbay.org.au) is the site. Apologies as it has not been updated for a while and Save Our Bay Association Inc. is the organised group aimed purely at this Moreton Bay issue.

I held two protests on this, the first in December 2007, the second was February 2008 just before submissions closed. Now the decision is pending out of the Government as to if they have taken the suggestions of the MBAA (Moreton Bay Access Alliance) or have done their own thing with the pressure from the green lobby.

I am sure there will be another action against this in the future once we know the direction of the result that the EPA are coming up with. Time will tell.

Cheers,
Chris

mudrunner
04-08-2008, 04:49 PM
thanks chris for the reply..

also, is there a fund raising scheme etc where i can donate some $ to the fight? i have a gas weber i could raffle here on this site (if its ok by admin) and donate the proceeds.....others may also have some gear they are prepared to raffle to help out.

here is an email i recieved from Bruce Alvey in responce to simmilar q's i raised here..

Dear Peter,
Thankyou for your enquiry regarding Moreton Bay closures.
The Queensland members of the Tackle Industry were part of the MBAA
which was a broad group of stakeholders that put up an alternative
proposal to EPA which can be viewed at the link shown below.
http://www.marineqld.com.au/DIVISIONS/MBAA/tabid/158/Default.aspx (http://www.marineqld.com.au/DIVISIONS/MBAA/tabid/158/Default.aspx)
We are continuing to talk to politicians on both sides who are all well aware
of our industries view.
The EPA will make an announcement later this year on the final closures.
We can only hope some common sense has prevailed and some adjustments are
made but I would not hold my breath.
If you want to do something letters to your local member is always a good place to start.
Thankyou for your concern.

Kind Regards,

Bruce Alvey

Managing Director
Alvey Reels Australia
Ph. No. +61 7 3271 2844
Fx. No. +61 7 3271 2451

castlemaine
04-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Spinner,

Now the decision is pending out of the Government as to if they have taken the suggestions of the MBAA (Moreton Bay Access Alliance) or have done their own thing with the pressure from the green lobby.

I am sure there will be another action against this in the future once we know the direction of the result that the EPA are coming up with. Time will tell.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris
I was fishing some weeks ago at Peel and a Marine Parks Officer pulled up to my boat and said they were doing an infomation exercise. When I said that when the new regulations go in "I won't be able to fish in this spot, will I?". Her reply was "Either that or face a fine". She actually quoted the cost of the fine (I can't recall it now). My outlook to that comment is that the decision's been made.
Cheers 8-)

Gary Fooks
05-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Spinner - to answer your original questions.

One senior National said to me “its hard to put water back in the tap” in other word reversing zonings probably wont happen.

Class action – you cant sue the crown. In other words nope - cant happen

Good questions - not good news though.

Gary

Chris Ryan
05-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Chris
I was fishing some weeks ago at Peel and a Marine Parks Officer pulled up to my boat and said they were doing an infomation exercise. When I said that when the new regulations go in "I won't be able to fish in this spot, will I?". Her reply was "Either that or face a fine". She actually quoted the cost of the fine (I can't recall it now). My outlook to that comment is that the decision's been made.
Cheers 8-)

I don't doubt that at all mate, they are just stringing it out waiting for when the perception of due diligence has been done and another major thing is going on then sneak it out. Just like they did when they announced the review in the first place.

Thanks for letting me know.

Spinner - thanks for the offer of the donation mate. I never got the mechanism set-up. If we do, I'll post it up.

hungry6
05-08-2008, 10:36 PM
I know there hve been plenty of words said what can and can't be done, I'm not promising anything here yet, the man "to be" at the top and his president have been point out to this site and a few other sites, as to the woes of rec-fishermen in qld. From what I gather, both men are very much interested in gettin more actively with sites like this, they might or most probably wont post for obvious reasons, but the one thing I do know, is that they are concern about the way, the traditional pastime and lifestyle is been erroded away by the minority.
Like others have said, they might not be able to put the water back in the tap, but they can certainly stop it becoming a waterfall.

simon_vaughan
12-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Hey guys, my name is Jake and im posting this on mr vaughns log in.
Im doing an assignment for school and i would like to get your opinions.

Im focussing my assignment on how the closing of parts of the bay, for conservation, the "zones", how that has effected the fishing for the public?

Has it taken fishing spots straight up?
How has that made you feel?
What actions are being made to lobby against this proposal?

thanks guys. looking forward to your replies.

Reel Nauti
12-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Jake, have a read of some the threads in this section. You'll get a fair idea how most people feel.

Dave