PDA

View Full Version : Steering system HELP

1975fflh
03-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi

I have just broken the steering drum in my old morse system.

So i thought that since it is probably the original system in the old RumRunner I may as well replace the whole lot.

I thought about Hydro steering 12 months ago but was talked out of it as a waste of money on a boat my size, (1989 hull Fiberglass 5.2metre with a 1999 90HP johnno).

Well I started to look arounf and there seems to be a bit of a choice between NFB, SAFE-T and TLX.

What is the difference other than a couple of hundred dollars, I know NFB is no feedback but does it matter.

I use the boat for fishing (not very far out yet a couple og Ks off shore but want to travel about 20kl up the coast in summer) and skiing and tubing with the teenage kids.

can some one advise me of the best option and do you know of any reasonable shops in the Wollongong area, though I dont mind going to Sydney if there is a reasonable price difference.

Thanks

Gordon

1975fflh
03-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Oh and what is the rack steering option is it any good ?

FNQCairns
03-08-2008, 12:51 PM
The rack you speak about is probably rack an pinion, it requires some extra under dash room but is superior. The other more typical one the modified worm and roller type which is good enough, I have hydraulic on my 90hp it's nice although the modern NFB systems have closed the gap greatly -esp on the recfishing performance ones like the baystar etc.

Absolutely positively go with NFB you will be forever tickled you did, actually if I drove a full feedback unit today I would be sure to give the passengers a fright, and myself probably!

cheers fnq

Outsider1
03-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I agree with FNQCairns comments. I have had all 3 types of systems on my boat over time.

I replaced the original cable with NFB when it started to play up a few years ago. I was a huge improvement!. I then went for Hydraulic when I repowered the old girl at the beginning of the year. Again another big step up, it is superb to use and really help transform the boat along with the new motor to a very sweet and easy handling drive. My boat is 5.8 metres with a 150hp motor.

A case of good, better, best. If your budget can stretch the Hydraulic is worth considering, but the NFB is the great value for money option and you will really notice the difference over your current system .

Cheers

Dave

griz066
03-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I stretched my budget to go hydraulic and am glad i did it is magnificent

1975fflh
03-08-2008, 08:45 PM
thanks Guys