PDA

View Full Version : who still fishes out of older boats

trev1
02-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I was wondering who (if any) still fish out of the older "chugger" style of boats. Not so much worried about the exact style of boat but just the non planing , displacement, 8 knots in any weather style of boat.

trev1
03-08-2008, 10:36 AM
after 82 views, and no responces, I guess no one fishes out of the older style of boats

Roughasguts
03-08-2008, 10:36 AM
You mean the old carvel fishing boat with the huge built in fish tank and some with a mast and sail? Mind you haven't seen any with a sail on for years.

There be a whole fleet of them at Thevenard in S.A. there still working boats.

1975fflh
03-08-2008, 12:37 PM
There is a club on the Georges River in Sydney that runs this style and others.

it is called St Georges River motor boat club, bit like a Bowling club for boaties.

I dont live near it or know much about it but their number should be in the phone book guide thing on the net.

tunaticer
03-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Down in the Glenelg River in Western Victoria there are lots on the water. max speed limit for most of the river is 6 knots if i remember correctly.

Jack.

Reel Nauti
03-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't have one but one day I will! Love the ride. And I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere, the journey is most of the fun in my opinon.

dave

Chimo
04-08-2008, 07:24 AM
I fished in Port Phillip Bay in the late 50s and 60s as a kid with some of the pro fishermen at Rosebud in old wood boats with chugger motors and they were great but long days.

Went out and caught (jigged) squid and then trawled out to the snapper reefs dragging red wood lures and caught a few couta on the way. Then pulled in big knobby snaps for hours before chugging back in. Then off to the shop to clean, scale and dress out the fish and saw cutlets out of a lot of them.

Other days we would sit on the cliffs at Portsea watching for mullet and then race down the hill and row out around them dragging a net. Then the work started to drag them in, box them and then up at sparrow fart and off to the Melb Fish Market the next morning to sell them hoping like hell that your team had been lucky and the other mobs hadnt or you got bugger all for your effort.

Bloody hard life and I'm not sure if any are left still doing it down there.
But I digress; the original question about old style boats> There seems to be a growing interest in stuff like this: http://www.woodenboatshop.com.au/default.asp?MenuID=Couta_Boats/189/1476/

I too would be intersted in that style of thing if something similar existed in glass and you could drop the mast (canal bridges) sail it, and also get say 12 to 15 kn out of it with a motor. Be nice to have a sleeping sized cuddy too to get out of the weather and have the odd brew up.

Cheers
Chimo

Noelm
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
there is still a couple near me that are used on a semi regular basis, but they are only used a few K's offshore, so time and speed does not matter one bit, been in them hundreds of times, nice and smooth, cheap as buggery to run, you can troll to and from your fishing spots, and they will just putt putt on regardless of wind and Sea conditions, tiller steer, no worries at all.

Salad Fingers
04-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Other days we would sit on the cliffs at Portsea watching for mullet and then race down the hill and row out around them dragging a net. Then the work started to drag them in, box them and then up at sparrow fart and off to the Melb Fish Market the next morning to sell them hoping like hell that your team had been lucky and the other mobs hadnt or you got bugger all for your effort.

People pay money for (and Eat?!) mullet? wtf?

anyway back on topic the only 'chugger' style boat I could see myself in would be an Arvor 20, a world away from these true displaement boats I know.

2manylures
04-08-2008, 09:48 AM
You used to be able to hire them from St Kilda in Vic many yrs ago.

Old knuckle busting diesal motors that had to be cranked.

Chimo
04-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi All

If you have a few minutes check this link out . How they build them, very interesting.

http://www.woodenboatshop.com.au/?Page=368

Cheers
Chimo