PDA

View Full Version : How many use fuel filters

jerson
02-08-2008, 05:10 PM
How many of you use inline fuel filters on motors up to say 50 hp? I've never used them & had no trouble in 30 years. This probably means i've tempted fate, i have a bilge pump & never need it either.

Jerson.

Poodroo
02-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah for sure. I use a fuel filter with water separator. It's a must I think. I have a 40 hp Mercury 2 stroke.

Poodroo

onerabbit
02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Mad not to............

Muzz

tunaticer
02-08-2008, 06:08 PM
I have an inline glass fuel filter I regularly keep an eye on for discolouration, particles and water. Been caught with crap fuel too many times to not have one I can at least keep an eye on.

Jack.

Roughasguts
02-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Never really needed to clean my in line filter always been servicable and never replaced it.

But mt Racor fuel / water seperator hell it's always full of water and rusty looking fuel and crap! and I know that cause I drain it every trip.

Also I have cleaned out my S/S tank recently and there wasn't much crap at all in it.

So yep the fuel has lots of crap in it these days, your just lucky it's passing through your motor.

Hornet Rider
02-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Jerson, ditto with all of the above, & reinforce Roughasguts observations about crap fuel, so I also fitted a Racor fuel/water separator between the tank (74ltr) & motor. The in-line filter inside the motor gets clean, water free fuel & therefore it's workload is reduced.

John Buoy
02-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Never really needed to clean my in line filter always been servicable and never replaced it.

But mt Racor fuel / water seperator hell it's always full of water and rusty looking fuel and crap! and I know that cause I drain it every trip.

Also I have cleaned out my S/S tank recently and there wasn't much crap at all in it.

So yep the fuel has lots of crap in it these days, your just lucky it's passing through your motor.
Roughasguts my previous boats fuel filler had an ordinary seal in the cap that allowed water to enter the tank could be wise to check yours if your constantly removing water.
also check the breather is not allowing water to enter.

Regards Frank

Roughasguts
02-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks Frank, but nah me boat hardly gets used fuel always drained and fresh and she's garaged all year round. I'm sure it's shit fuel.

Lancair
04-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Yep, for sure. I have an inline water seperator/fuel filter, after finding water in my 22L plastic fuel tank one day whilst diagnosing rough running.