PDA

View Full Version : Censorship gone too far?

fishing111
01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I caught this thread (Suzuki 150hp Four Stokes (http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=32766) ) on the Fishraider forum's and was pretty amazed at the action of the moderator. It would be a fairly tame discussion on Ausfish I would think::)

thelump
01-08-2008, 01:18 PM
The Mr T's thread wouldn't have lasted one page with that boy driving the stop button;D

honda900
01-08-2008, 01:37 PM
did you check out the forum rules, geezus.

ffejsmada
01-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Then again it stops all the mindless crap that gets sent to and fro here.::)

That's one way of looking at it.

nigelr
01-08-2008, 03:19 PM
lol, good point Jeff, but this site is incomparably mild compared to the Victorian one!
Shows what a good site Ausfish is IMHO.
Cheers.

Mindi
01-08-2008, 04:56 PM
just read the thread and cant see the moderator's problem....he would have a seizure at the etec vs 4 stroke discussions we have had here...mostly stirring but much more lively than this one....!

bushbeachboy
01-08-2008, 05:19 PM
The mods name is 'chopper'.

Dodgy_Back
01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Some of these forums mods get a little upset if you talk about anything other than one of their sponsors product.
A bream site from NSW a while ago got quite upset for a topic on the Pro strike as it was not a "sponsored "product, now they are a sponsor and all of a sudden the pro strike are a great boat and are able to be talked about.

Free forum discussion ? I don't think so !!!!

Mick

gunna
01-08-2008, 05:27 PM
In a previous life I was a moderator on that site for a couple years. It was a great site for a while but unfortunately the quality of moderation went to the dogs when all us top moderators quit lol lol lol.

squizzytaylor
01-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Its a bit of a fine line between an open forum and a shitfight. Surely advertisers are entitled to some protection and exclusivity though as it is thier money that basically keeps these sites running. As I said though its a fine line and if the members are not happy with the current arrangements on any one site there are lots of other sites to choose from.

geoff

mod5
01-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

disorderly
01-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Surely advertisers are entitled to some protection and exclusivity though as it is thier money that basically keeps these sites running.
geoff
Why censor peoples opinions .....if people have a problem with a certain company then they should be able to forewarn the rest of the forum members of their concerns ...even moreso if they are a forum sponser.

2manylures
01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Why censor peoples opinions .....

Gotta agree disorderly. If it isn't worded properly & taken the wrong way some people crack em.

Me personally, well I'm unoffendable and don't give a fat rat's what others say, just sit back & have a laugh. i get a bigger laugh when they run to moderators crying cos their poor little feelings have been inadvertantly hurt.

We don't live in China YET, do we?

PS: Squizzy & I agree. Fine line also with some products that are being sold & the service given.

The consumer has a right to know under those circumstances.

If ya service &/or products are crap, then ya should be prepared to wear crap!

squizzytaylor
01-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Why censor peoples opinions .....if people have a problem with a certain company then they should be able to forewarn the rest of the forum members of their concerns ...even moreso if they are a forum sponser.

The issue as I see it disordely is that you have many people with varying levels of knowledge, and quite often that knowledge (or lack thereof) leads to purchases that are not in anyones best interest, Invariably these same people whom mouth off are also the same people who cant be told any different to start with, in many cases the recipient of the slander is not even aware and therefore has no right of reply.
I was however refering to the opposite situation where companies who have no interest and or participation are given coverage on websites by members where someone in direct opposition to them is a paid advertiser, it is them I fell should be afforded some exclusivety and or protection for thier investment.

geoff

2manylures
01-08-2008, 08:29 PM
I was however refering to the opposite situation where companies who have no interest and or participation are given coverage on websites by members where someone in direct opposition to them is a paid advertiser, it is them I fell should be afforded some exclusivety and or protection for thier investment.

geoff

Geoff, these sites are only another form of advertising medium just like TV, Radio, Newspapers etc.

They're all fair game as are people's opinions. After all we discuss varied products & compare whilst out shopping, at home on sites such as this.

Isn't this what fair trade & fredom of speech are all about?

BM
01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
The link goes to a topic not found page. Someone told him they were famous here!!

disorderly
01-08-2008, 08:58 PM
The issue as I see it disordely is that you have many people with varying levels of knowledge, and quite often that knowledge (or lack thereof) leads to purchases that are not in anyones best interest, Invariably these same people whom mouth off are also the same people who cant be told any different to start with, in many cases the recipient of the slander is not even aware and therefore has no right of reply.

geoff

Yes Squizzy, I do understand where you are coming from...but generally it's relatively easy to tell the posters experience (or lack of)through a post or 2 and yes, in the case where said poster has quite simply made a bad decision or choice upon purchase then his complaint might need to be taken with a grain of salt..that said however, it should be up to the forum members too figure this out and add comment rather than just a blanket censorship from the mods.

and they do...there is enough smart members here not afraid to ask the hard questions to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

In regards to your last comment I disagree totally....just because someone is a paid advertiser or sponser shouldn't mean that no competitor is allowed to be ever mentioned here....that just shows a total disregard for free speech.

Scott

squizzytaylor
01-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Geoff, these sites are only another form of advertising medium just like TV, Radio, Newspapers etc.

They're all fair game as are people's opinions. After all we discuss varied products & compare whilst out shopping, at home on sites such as this.

Isn't this what fair trade & fredom of speech are all about?

Absolutely, and this is my point exactly. As with Print and other forms of electronic media you pay your fee and get your advertising and this is how these mediums are funded, what other form of media can you get free advertising from?
There are independant advertiser free websites around though where this does not apply.

Dodgy_Back
01-08-2008, 10:09 PM
If only sponsors products can be mentioned on so called public forums wouldn't it be a form of "cash for comment"

Paid advertisers have a one up on the rest by being just that "paid advertisers" and they have ads.

Just because they pay does not mean that they have an exclusive deal and no other similar products can be discussed. they have a deal for ad space not public opinion.

Mick

I