PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol....again

garman1
01-08-2008, 11:10 AM
HI Guys

Another question about ethanol...... my brother is over from adelaide and has a question about ethanol.

Is nitric acid a by product of using ethanol fuel????? anyone have any answers to this question ... ta

Cheers Garry

FNQCairns
01-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_derivatives_of_ethanol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

The combinations you mention makes rocket fuel?? big bang.

cheers fnq

TimiBoy
01-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh, goody!

"ethanol exhaust generates 2.14 times as much ozone as does gasoline exhaust. When this is added into the custom "Localised Pollution Index (LPI)" of The Clean Fuels Report the local pollution, i.e. that which contributes to smog, is 1.7 on a scale where gasoline is 1.0 and higher numbers signify greater pollution."

Go on, let's do it!!! Woohoo, why preserve the environment, when you won't be able to see it or smell it anyway???

Tim

cormorant
01-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Ethanol in petrol if it comes out of solution and mixes with water will create a corrosive acid. That has been responsible for tank and fuel system corrosion. Chemistry tells me it wouldn''t necessarilly be Nitric but would be determined by what else was in the tank.

I've gotta ask why you want to know as what you have mentioned can be a dangerous mix.?????????

Am guessing you have had fuel analysed after a failure and it has come up with a nitric acid content?

It always surprises me that a whole heap of people don't understand that Metho is ethanol ( with a twist of methanol or naptha). I have seen a lot of ally tanks , fittings and fuel systems that have degraded and my only guess after talking to owners is the old "I got rid of water by putting in metho'" . This can be fine if fuel is regularly used and only a small amount is used but leaving it sitting and allowing the water to come out of solution I am told can lead to corrosive solution in tank. Too much metho , ethanol can dissolve gaskets , destroy some fuel filters and soften fittings like hoses.

Gary Fooks
08-08-2008, 04:05 PM
for a long article on Ethanol and boats have a look at F&B magazine out yesterday

Gary

mik01
08-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Oh, goody!

"ethanol exhaust generates 2.14 times as much ozone as does gasoline exhaust. When this is added into the custom "Localised Pollution Index (LPI)" of The Clean Fuels Report the local pollution, i.e. that which contributes to smog, is 1.7 on a scale where gasoline is 1.0 and higher numbers signify greater pollution."

Go on, let's do it!!! Woohoo, why preserve the environment, when you won't be able to see it or smell it anyway???

Tim

oh no Tim!! we need more of this 'environmentally friendly' fuel.
its gonna save the planet!!

we can get rid of those nasty oil and fuel pollutants, and start pumping out a new toxic pollutant - but remember everyone - its 'clean and green'! (cue picture of a globe with a smiley face on it).

cormorant
10-08-2008, 11:32 PM
for a long article on Ethanol and boats have a look at F&B magazine out yesterday

Gary

Haven't seen the F&B article. Is there anything in it we haven't covered in the last 6 months on here or specific to this post about acid??

Quaker
11-08-2008, 07:27 AM
I've read it, quite a good article. They reckon additives that are sold to prevent phase separation don't work. As they say if they did work, wouldn't the fuel companies add it to their fuel at the refinery?
In the end the message from them is to steer clear of E10 while we still can. If your boat has a modern engine, a poly or stainless fuel tank & you use every drop of fuel every outing you shouldn't have a problem. If you have a fibreglass or alloy tank, you are an occasional boater who leaves their fuel tank partially full or you don't have E10 safe fuel lines, you're screwed.