PDA

View Full Version : hydrofoil masive improvement

bustaonenut
01-08-2008, 06:07 AM
I went out with the old man the other day in his 195 allison. He recently upgraded the motor from a 135 hp to a 200hp ( both 2 stroke mercs ) in hoping to plane much easier and to keep the ass end from dropping in big swells. Although the 200 hp did both much better he found that he still had to push it to get the good performance.

He was at Mr T's tinnys closing down sale when he came across a hydrofoil. It had been reduced from $229 too $100. Not sure of the brand but it is alloy, powder coated black and is longer than wider.

Anyway installed it and next trip was out to barwon banks. I never thought it would make such a differance to the boat. It planes with little revs and even planes when pulling up anchor with float
wich it never did.

pilchardjones
01-08-2008, 06:13 AM
thanks mate - i'd say it is a permatrim and yes i have heard a lot of good things about them.
steve

ozscott
01-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Mate - I take it your old man's boat does not have trim tabs on it?

Good to hear that the tab helped. Have you trialled it on following sea conditions?

Cheers

FNQCairns
01-08-2008, 07:28 AM
If you feel you have gotta have one the permatrim seems to be the pick of the bunch, still you get nothing for nothing, trim tabs would make an even better difference with less negatives - still even with them they take something away to achieve it but much less so.

cheers fnq

lunchcutter
01-08-2008, 07:38 AM
hey dont know why but i have been told to try to avoid to put a hydrfoil on as they r dangerous been told by a few people hey ?????

Cheech
01-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Found the same thing wit my 21fter. The boat came with one, but not being a fan I took it off straight away. After the same problems you describe, I put it back on and found a huge difference when off shore.

Tazmaniac
01-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Had one on my last boat, and found it made a huge difference. The boat I have now just doesn't need one. I guess it depends on the individual boat. I have heard that they can pull the transom DOWN when under power in reverse, however I never experienced this.
Taz.

dreemon
01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
put a permatrim on my 4.1 tinny and holeshot to top speed is ALOT quicker, smoother ride all around, and in a following sea found no probs at all, helped heaps in bow up and rear down probs, it works on my boat, if your good with the way your boat is leave it, ;D

upstart
02-08-2008, 06:22 AM
I had a permatrim on a 40hp Yammie and 13 foot Haines years ago and it was fantastic.