PDA

View Full Version : QL trim tabs on foam filled transom??

ShaneC
31-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi all;

I am thinking to install QL trim tabs to a new 625 Cruisecraft. But I got to thinking, how do you install the wiring when the entire hull and transom are foam filled??

Anyone done this before??

Thanks,

Shane

gofishin
31-07-2008, 07:47 PM
There are number of ways you could do it, but the bottom line is they don't want to do it. Even if you could convince them, it'd cost you :-/ . Like any production line manufacturer that has a waiting list, they don't like changes that take time. I asked them the same question (they are about to start my boat). In the end I opted against QL's anyway, so that made it easier;D.
cheers

backlash08
31-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure I can help at all with the how but I would ask the why. I dont own a 625 but have done quite a few hours in a mates 625 and it doesnt need tabs at all from my experience, the hull runs very true and I havnt been in it at any time when I thought it needed them. Dont get me wrong, I'm not against tabs, I currently have a new plate boat getting built and it will have QL tabs but the 625 that I've used doesnt??anyway my experience only
cheers - Craig

Spaniard_King
31-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Got em fitted to my rig (full foam underfloor) I got them to install a cavity just infront of the transom (glass a sheet in from floor to hull at an angle) this enabled me to fit the tabs and pull the wirring into the center area (bilge pump area) and ran the wires up into the junction unit. I then sealed around the wires with silicon/sika.

hope that helps

Getout
01-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure I can help at all with the how but I would ask the why. I dont own a 625 but have done quite a few hours in a mates 625 and it doesnt need tabs at all from my experience, the hull runs very true and I havnt been in it at any time when I thought it needed them. Dont get me wrong, I'm not against tabs, I currently have a new plate boat getting built and it will have QL tabs but the 625 that I've used doesnt??anyway my experience only
cheers - Craig

I have one (625 Outsider) and was told by many to "move the esky to correct any side-to-side trim problems. What a crock! The best thing I did was install a pair of tabs. I looked into QL but went for Bennetts because of easier fitting (still tricky, due to foam underfloor) and because they have hydraulic, rather than electrical stuff in the water.
If a 625 normally doesn't need tabs, then something is wrong with mine! I have tried different props and motor heights. It always leans to port unless there is a strong breeze from the stb quarter. I'm sure that mostly it is caused by prop torque. Filling the live bait tank on STB side helps, but a full fresh water tank on the port side makes it worse again. With just a tad of port tab down, the hull lands flat and soft on the big airbornes. and it rides better in chop. In heavy going, I use a bit of tab down on each side.
WARNING, I always lift them up when crossing a bar. They produce ugly handling running on waves.

I take note of the planing trim of all boats. Many people just don't know that their boat isn't riding level. Half of the powerboat photos in magazines show boats leaning to the left. Only tabs can correct this effectively on heavy deep V hulls.
On my old tinny (shallow Vee), heaps of engine in-trim caused excessive port lean. Max out-trim evened up the ride. I can't get the same effect from engine trim in the Outsider.
Its funny that some manufacturers seem to view the need for tabs as a shortcoming of bad design and are reluctant to recommend them.
Serious bluewater monohulls with single engine rigs have them as standard.
When buying another boat, I'd choose trim tabs before many of the other apparently essential options.

Maybe I just drive mine harder than most, but I doubt it.

troy
01-08-2008, 02:36 PM
How much does it cost for the Dealer to fit a set of Tabs.
Troy

John Buoy
01-08-2008, 03:42 PM
I have one (625 Outsider) and was told by many to "move the esky to correct any side-to-side trim problems. What a crock! The best thing I did was install a pair of tabs. I looked into QL but went for Bennetts because of easier fitting (still tricky, due to foam underfloor) and because they have hydraulic, rather than electrical stuff in the water.
If a 625 normally doesn't need tabs, then something is wrong with mine! I have tried different props and motor heights. It always leans to port unless there is a strong breeze from the stb quarter. I'm sure that mostly it is caused by prop torque. Filling the live bait tank on STB side helps, but a full fresh water tank on the port side makes it worse again. With just a tad of port tab down, the hull lands flat and soft on the big airbornes. and it rides better in chop. In heavy going, I use a bit of tab down on each side.
WARNING, I always lift them up when crossing a bar. They produce ugly handling running on waves.

I take note of the planing trim of all boats. Many people just don't know that their boat isn't riding level. Half of the powerboat photos in magazines show boats leaning to the left. Only tabs can correct this effectively on heavy deep V hulls.
On my old tinny (shallow Vee), heaps of engine in-trim caused excessive port lean. Max out-trim evened up the ride. I can't get the same effect from engine trim in the Outsider.
Its funny that some manufacturers seem to view the need for tabs as a shortcoming of bad design and are reluctant to recommend them.
Serious bluewater monohulls with single engine rigs have them as standard.
When buying another boat, I'd choose trim tabs before many of the other apparently essential options.

Maybe I just drive mine harder than most, but I doubt it.
Hmm strange that it leans to port .
I know a few guys and including mine and have never heard of this problem
on the 625's. Tabs has eliminated the problem for you but one has to ask what was the offender?
Apart from unbalanced weight some huge kick ass transom transducers placed low can affect trim or incorrect vertical engine alignment!
How did you combat the tabs from interfering with the boarding ladder?

Regards Frank

Getout
01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Maybe its the transducer but I don't think so. I might do a run with the transducer kicked up and check that. It is a standard Airmar.
The engine is vertical. The boat doesn't list at rest. Standard Viper prop on an ETec 175
The port tab misses the ladder, not by much.
The lean to port is slight in calm contitions, worse in strong breeze off the port side. It evens up and leans the other way in strong breeze from the stb side. The amount of tab required depends on speed.
Line up the windscreen with the horizon next time you are out. Maybe its there and you havent noticed.
I can fix the problem by moving eskies and other stuff but I prefer to press a button to keep a level ride when the crew move around or conditions change.

gofishin
01-08-2008, 09:57 PM
...have done quite a few hours in a mates 625 and it doesnt need tabs at all from my experience, the hull runs very true and I havnt been in it at any time when I thought it needed them.... Interesting comments Craig, what donk did it have? I have only been in two Outsider 625's, both with a 200 yam 4/, one older one without foam, one new one with. In both instances i thought the boat was crying out for tabs, not to help keep it plumb, but to attain better longitudinal trim. In the ugly stuff it continuously wanted to squat in the ar$e. The newer boat has recently had a set of Lenco's installed, and you should have seen the grin on the skips face the first time he tried them, and many times after that. The difference is really quite amazing. Personally, i think the 175 zuke would be a perfect match for that hull. Others may disagree, and want max HP.

...Standard Viper prop on an ETec 175
... Don't really know E-TEC's or their props, but prop type and engine height can affect the prop torque. Have you compared your engine ht to other boats? Do you have a big LBT pickup on the STB side? Transducer on STB side? (as JB has said). Have you spoken to the guys at cruise craft? they are a pretty good bunch & could probably help you.

ShaneC
01-08-2008, 10:31 PM
My main reason for the thoughts on the tabs came from the maiden voyage in the boat to Tangas with the missus. Coming home with a good 15 knots side on, and with the area of the clears with the breeze and all other factors she did get a bit of a lean on. Wasn't particularly nasty, but at the end of the day I want it to be as comfy as possible, and I think the tabs will go a long way to achieving this. Mine is an Explorer, not an Outsider as everyone else seems to have, but I dont think that'd make a real lot of difference.

Thanks for your replies, at least now I know it can be done, just gota work out the how now!!

Shane

Getout
02-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Don't really know E-TEC's or their props, but prop type and engine height can affect the prop torque. Have you compared your engine ht to other boats? Do you have a big LBT pickup on the STB side? Transducer on STB side? (as JB has said). Have you spoken to the guys at cruise craft? they are a pretty good bunch & could probably help you.

I don't have that squat problem at all, but I do use the tabs in choppy water, together with a little engine trim in.
Transducer stb side, LBT pickup port side.
Cruisecraft boys said "move the esky"

marco
02-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Maybe its the transducer but I don't think so. I might do a run with the transducer kicked up and check that. It is a standard Airmar.
The engine is vertical. The boat doesn't list at rest. Standard Viper prop on an ETec 175
The port tab misses the ladder, not by much.
The lean to port is slight in calm contitions, worse in strong breeze off the port side. It evens up and leans the other way in strong breeze from the stb side. The amount of tab required depends on speed.
Line up the windscreen with the horizon next time you are out. Maybe its there and you havent noticed.
I can fix the problem by moving eskies and other stuff but I prefer to press a button to keep a level ride when the crew move around or conditions change.

what size bennets are you running as i am worried about it hitting the ladder on my 625 .
cheers
mark

John Buoy
02-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Interesting comments Craig, what donk did it have? I have only been in two Outsider 625's, both with a 200 yam 4/, one older one without foam, one new one with. In both instances i thought the boat was crying out for tabs, not to help keep it plumb, but to attain better longitudinal trim. In the ugly stuff it continuously wanted to squat in the ar$e. The newer boat has recently had a set of Lenco's installed, and you should have seen the grin on the skips face the first time he tried them, and many times after that. The difference is really quite amazing. Personally, i think the 175 zuke would be a perfect match for that hull. Others may disagree, and want max HP.

Spot On but also depends on which model 625
The outsiders cabin is further rear then the explorer and comparing 2 boats mine and a mates both with 150 Johnno 2st
Mine being the explorer his being the outsider, his definately dragged in the arse on a descent following sea and took more grunt to get out of the hole mine was a lot easier out of the hole.
Both motors same height both with full tanks of fuel!!
Can only attribute to weight factor accrued by the cabin possy.
Tabs made a huge improvement on my mates boat and
the 175 Zuke would be ideal IMO

Regards Frank

backlash08
03-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi Gofishin, the engine is a HDPI Yamaha 175, maybe the guy doesnt drive it too hard and does trim it in a bit but having been is some reasonable breezes and swell it rides true IMO? it is an outsider as well, not an explorer

cheers - Craig

Interesting comments Craig, what donk did it have? I have only been in two Outsider 625's, both with a 200 yam 4/, one older one without foam, one new one with. In both instances i thought the boat was crying out for tabs, not to help keep it plumb, but to attain better longitudinal trim. In the ugly stuff it continuously wanted to squat in the ar$e. The newer boat has recently had a set of Lenco's installed, and you should have seen the grin on the skips face the first time he tried them, and many times after that. The difference is really quite amazing. Personally, i think the 175 zuke would be a perfect match for that hull. Others may disagree, and want max HP.

Don't really know E-TEC's or their props, but prop type and engine height can affect the prop torque. Have you compared your engine ht to other boats? Do you have a big LBT pickup on the STB side? Transducer on STB side? (as JB has said). Have you spoken to the guys at cruise craft? they are a pretty good bunch & could probably help you.