PDA

View Full Version : bluefin vs seajay

BREAMBOSS01
31-07-2008, 07:08 PM
gday looking at upgrading to a 4.2m boat narrowed it down to either a 4.2 sea jay magnum and a 4.2 blue fin rogue what are your thoughts on these two boats
any help would be appreciated

Poodroo
31-07-2008, 07:16 PM
When I was searching for a new boat I had narrowed it down to those two as well but felt that for the money I got more bang for the buck by going to the Blue Fin. For less money you got a painted hull as standard and a few more inclusions as standard. My package worked out about $1000 less than the equivalent in the Seajay. The other decider for me was I didn't like the dealerships who were agents for the Seajays at the time which is a personal choice I know. Almost a year on since taking delivery of my new Blue Fin I couldn't be happier. The boat is meeting all expectations so far.

Poodroo

Flex
31-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Any chance of you getting the bigger 4.55 model? Its a far superior Hull to the smaller 4.2.

I got mine from Stonescorner marine in brisbane, nice guys to deal with and so far the cheapest by an extremely large margine on both hull and motor.

They came in at $1050 cheaper for my hull compared to a rockhampton dealer and $800 cheaper on my outboard.

IMO bluefin are nice boats aswell, but im not a fan of their hull design.very shallow hull, blunt bow entry etc. But depends what conditions you want it for.

Definitely consider the 4.55M model, it has a deeper deadrise, reverse chines and a 3mm bottom and sharper bow entry than the 4.2 and the bluefin.

plaztix
31-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I've got a 4.15 seajay sp, the same hull as the magnum but with a full flat floor and side decks. I love it but have never been in a blue fin so cant compare.

If you are buying new, go out for a test run and as poodroo said, its pretty important to be happy with your local dealer.

trev1
01-08-2008, 04:27 PM
As others have said, bigger if you can. In smaller tinnies, more of it comes down to what sort of a deal you get and how your dealer is to get along with. I dont believe there is enough hull weight or shape difference to make a huge difference in ride quality. Both the hulls you mention are pressed tinnys and from good manufacturers. Getting a painted hull isn't the be all and end all, wait till you pull up some crab pots and see how the paint goes. You really have to define how you want to use the boat to make the most informed decision on your purchase and to a degree that aplies on your choice of motor too. 4.2 meter tinnies just scream out creek and estuary, to me anyway, and most of the time , 4.55 does it just so much better, with the chance of going just that little farther out when the weather permits.

dogsbody
01-08-2008, 05:33 PM
I've got a Blue Fin 4.2 with 30 Merc, 3mm bottom, 2mm sides, wide side decks. Very strong boat. Go out to Mud and beyond in reasonable conditions.

If your buying new a bowsprit and rear step are good options as well as 3mm bottom.

Dave.

Poodroo
01-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I've got a Blue Fin 4.2 with 30 Merc, 3mm bottom, 2mm sides, wide side decks. Very strong boat. Go out to Mud and beyond in reasonable conditions.

If your buying new a bowsprit and rear step are good options as well as 3mm bottom.

Dave.

Yeah I got the transom step on mine. I almost purchased the 4.2 as well but I was pointed out by the sales team that the physical room in the 4.2 was not really that much different to the 4.0 and for an extra $4000 the only real difference was the pod on the back. Me being me I weighed up that $4000 was a lot just to get a boat with a pod on it so I decided on the 4.0 Discovery but used the money I was to safe by sizing down to get more horses on the back. I ended up with the 40 Mercury instead of the 30 which came standard.

Poodroo

BREAMBOSS01
03-08-2008, 08:06 AM
thanks for your help fellas