PDA

View Full Version : How Far Out Would You Go In A 5.6m ??

1lastcast
31-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi all just thought i would throw this one at you guys it may have been put up before but anyway .

I have a 5.6m platey powered by a 140hp 4 stroke and my fuel capacity is 120 litres i quite often go out to the 36`s and sometimes a little further its around a 50 kms return trip and i allways have 40-50 litres left after a trip so i know i can go a lot further without carrying extra fuel.

My question is how far would you feel safe going out to ? obviously you have to pick your days but what is your comfort zone ?

Do you have a point when you say i will not go any further or are you one to say bugger it im going anyway ?

Im interested to find out how far you will go out to sea !!!

Regards MONOSTRETCHO

Noelm
31-07-2008, 03:50 PM
untill you run out of fuel!! distance offshore is really of no importance, waves do not get bigger and bigger the further out you go (sort of)

Owen
31-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I like to show at least 1/4 tank when I get back.
In my 4.5m with 50hp merc that means Rock Cod shoals are about my limit.
That's be 20 nm or more each way I guess.
That allows me a bit if it turns shitty and I get hammered on the way back.

Outsider1
31-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi Mono,

I am no expert but do recall Peter Webster of F & B stating a number of times that a 30% contingency is advisable as a safety margin. The logic was that if conditions turn for the worst you are potentially going to be using up to 100% more fuel to get back in.

For your 120 litre tank 30% is 42 litres so suggests you are already near that level now. You are using 35 to 40 litres out and the same again coming back at present on your numbers.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Dave

jtpython
31-07-2008, 04:33 PM
I have a 5.5 explorer cruisecraft with 160 litres i average .7/litre/km pending on weather i work on 1km/1litre just for safety if wind gets up etc...........
We went out 94 km plus running around and come back in 20 knot SE no problems i did put a 25 litre drum of fuel into the tank just in case when we left but managed no problems SE was mostly behind/side to us so was a good safe run
JT

rumy1
31-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I have a Haines Signature 5.42m with a 140 Suzuki on the back. I go out to Sykes which is about 75km's offshore but there is alot of protection around (islands) if the weather gets bad. I pick my days and have never had a problem. Three guys and all the gear I use approx 130 lts, that's all night fishing and drifting so I am happy with that. I always take an extra 40lts of fuel on top of my 150lt fuel tank so I have 60lts up my sleeve !!!
I venture out to Doughlas Shoals now and then and that's abit further but if there was a fishing ground 100km's offshore and it was a great day then I would be off.

finding_time
31-07-2008, 07:00 PM
untill you run out of fuel!! distance offshore is really of no importance, waves do not get bigger and bigger the further out you go (sort of)

I'm with noel on this one, how much fuel can you carry ? I have a 5.2 m boat and "IF" i could workout how to carry enough fuel safely i would have no hesitation in trying to fish the moreton sea mounts for broadbill during one of those late winter holes in the weather!;) The moreton sea mounts are 200km's of the gold coast! I would of coarse have extra's on board in the way of a sat phone( to tell people i'm running late) extra medical supply's and maybe a 3rd spare battery( FULLY CHARGED AND NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING)

It's the fuel that's the problem though and as outsider said you would need and extra 1/3 as a safety factor!( not that i've considered this at all!::) ::) ::) )

Ian

blue_mako
31-07-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm with noel on this one, how much fuel can you carry ? I have a 5.2 m boat and "IF" i could workout how to carry enough fuel safely i would have no hesitation in trying to fish the moreton sea mounts for broadbill during one of those late winter holes in the weather!;) The moreton sea mounts are 200km's of the gold coast! I would of coarse have extra's on board in the way of a sat phone( to tell people i'm running late) extra medical supply's and maybe a 3rd spare battery( FULLY CHARGED AND NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING)

It's the fuel that's the problem though and as outsider said you would need and extra 1/3 as a safety factor!( not that i've considered this at all!::) ::) ::) )

Ian

Throw a couple of 44s on the back mate, and sink them once there emptied, we do this all the time going out to cato.

SgBFish
31-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Ian that's incredible looking country out there.

honda900
31-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Mono,

think your doing your donk a disservice, I have a zuke 140 and am getting over 2ks per liter in a boat a bit bigger than yours but glass. I recently did a trip from manly to cape moreton fished all the way up past hutchies and back 170km round trip for 72 litres of juice in the yalta with a 150 ltr tank, so less than half.

I installed a fuel flow meter which is very accurate, just to give me peice of mind so I can monitor what is left in the tank. I dont push it either, like to be at the ramp with 25% of a tank at least for safetys sake.

Regards
HOnda

moater
31-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Throw a couple of 44s on the back mate, and sink them once there emptied, we do this all the time going out to cato.

The greenies would love you as fuel mate!

finding_time
31-07-2008, 11:38 PM
The greenies would love you as fuel mate!

yep all they have to do is swim down 3km's under the pacific get those fuel drums and present them as evidence in court , he'll be convicted for sure!!! I can sense that blue_mako is already panicing!:o

moater
01-08-2008, 12:15 AM
yep all they have to do is swim down 3km's under the pacific get those fuel drums and present them as evidence in court , he'll be convicted for sure!!! I can sense that blue_mako is already panicing!:o

Nah,he's already given the statement about dumping to many millions of people potentially.

A clean pet food can might end up as an "environmentally sensistive marine micro-organism capsule" after you've used yer burley,but a fuel drum????

Look I hate greenies and other ratbags too but I don't wanna pollute just because I can..and also give that mob ammo on a public site.

Tallyho old chap;)

2rods
01-08-2008, 01:59 AM
When it comes to fuel there is a very good rule that I use.....

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it....

I have 150ltrs under the floor of the Goodwin and with the 70 zooki on her I get around 350kms from that...so when we do big trips I throw a 100ltr polly drum up the front. or we organise a barge to drop off fuel a week or so before we go, normally up through the Tiwi Islands.

1lastcast
01-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Yep Honda900 that is a very rough estimate only i forgot to also mention that i troll around the 36`s for half a day as well .

I have not accurately measured my fuel consumption but with my new electronics i will be able to.

One thing i do know is that it is a lot cheaper to run than the 2 stroke i had before.

I guess i am a little conservative as to the capability of my boat as well and have never gone out past around 100 fathoms of the gold coast im not sure how far it is in terms of klms but it is far enough for me.

Regards MONOSTRETCHO

Mr__Bean
01-08-2008, 08:29 AM
No need to use 44 gallon drums if feeling green, just get a pillow tank (bladder)

http://www.marinefuelbladders.com/specifications.html

- Darren

two up
01-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Hans Tholstrup (sp) took his haines 542 to japan.

honda900
01-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Hey mono, If youve got the right electronics, maybe consider an ep20 (engine interface), will give you all the engine data including fuel. ;)

Regards
Honda

Moonlighter
01-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I've been as far out as the Barwon Banks a copuple of times in my 4.8m JBS Platey - overnight trips too I might add - has to be VERY good weather for me to to go that far. Not a frequent event.

But I quite often go from Cleveland out to the 35's, up to square patch or down around the Pinnacles off Pt Lookout - typical trip is between 110 and 150kms all up.

I have 100l under the floor and with the TLDI 90 tohatsu giving me at least 3 km and up to 3.3 km per litre, I know I've got a safe 200 km range with at least a third of a tank left over. Took and extra 25 litre portable tank to the Barwons just to be safe but still had 30 litres left in the main tank so didin't really need it.

You might think I'm mad going out wide in a 16 footer, but its a tough and very seaworthy little mother which has surprised many of the bigger boat owners I've taken out with me.

I reckon its all about learning and therefore being confident about the capabilities of both your boat and yourself as skipper, and making sure that you do sensible things like watching the weather and listening to the reports and heading home pronto if the reports start to go pear shaped. Also, I travel at a sensible speed that suits my comfort and my boat.

Travelling in groups when you go out wide is a very good practice - join a club! The trips I did to the Barwons were with 3 or 4 other club boats so we fished together and travelled together - although they had bigger boats and travelled quicker, we kept in radio contact and even though its a 90 min run out there, I got back only 10 minutes or so after them and had a better ride by travelling at my own speed and not trying to match them. No dramas!

Grant

Angla
01-08-2008, 08:41 PM
I have a 575 Outsider and fish Barwon Banks without problems. Economy from the 135 Optimax is consistently 1 nm per litre. With 160 litres on board, I am looking to venture to the Hards shortly for a look see but I might put a jerry on for good measure. Thats 20 nm or 36 Km of extra fuel

Off topic now
Anyone got some marks for the Hards.......

Chris

bigjimg
01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Nah,he's already given the statement about dumping to many millions of people potentially.

A clean pet food can might end up as an "environmentally sensistive marine micro-organism capsule" after you've used yer burley,but a fuel drum????

Look I hate greenies and other ratbags too but I don't wanna pollute just because I can..and also give that mob ammo on a public site.

Tallyho old chap;)
What about all the munitions and chemical weapons dumped off our coastline
by the military.So much it would make your head spin.Have alook not hard to dig up.For me a drum or 2 is pale by comparison.Jim

QF3 MROCP
02-08-2008, 04:23 PM
A good rule is a third out, third in and third reserve.

Just a couple of observations from the threads above:

When you're out so far from sight of land, what communications are you using if you get into trouble. Relying on 27Meg or VHF maybe touch and go and mobile phones are out of the question. Are many of you carrying Sat Phones nowadays?

The other point I note is the amount of fuel on board. I know from a Coast Guard perspective we now have insurance obligations to not carry more than 25 litres as "spare" in drums for an assist call if some-one needs fuel. What this now means is that we have to tow you back to within range that will get you back to shore with the 25L. SO, check out your insurance policy to see what restrictions or waivers you have...

Peter

litenup
02-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Is this guy for real?? Maybe some one could put him in one of the drums, sorry that would add to the polution. And we wonder why the GREEN element want things back as they were in 1788. Cheers Pete

finding_time
02-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Hey litenup , Light'en up!!! Do you have any idea where he's talking about dumping them? In 3000m of water out off the shelf that's where , hardly in the bay!!!

I'm sure the 2x 44's sunk will have little to absolutely no effect compared to all the other stuff that's dumped in the open ocean!!! You are aware that the us navy sinks most of there trash when offshore ,and there not the only ones , a few extra bits of steel will have no effect and the little bit of fuel will disapate very quickly and have no impact!

Ian

TimiBoy
02-08-2008, 06:28 PM
I must admit to shaking my head a bit over drum dumping at sea. I know the Navy do it, and I guess all ships do it. And in 3000 metres it will probably have no effect.

BUT, if this is OK, at what depth is it NOT OK? Where do we draw the line? When is it litter and when is it not? What if a whole lot of people start doing it? When does it become an issue?

Even more so, when does some idiot Greenie get hold of it that fishos think this is OK, and cart the whole non fishing public with them on a no fishos crusade?

I can't sit here and say it shouldn't or can't be done, but Mate, I wish you'd keep it to yourself.

Tim

backlash08
02-08-2008, 07:23 PM
I think that Tim is on the money here - cheers - Craig

stevea
02-08-2008, 07:39 PM
How far out would you go in a 5.6m??

From Mooloolaba, head East & would I probably stop when I hit Perth:D

Hornet Rider
02-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Sea dumping without a permit is unlawful (for very good reasons) International Control of Sea Dumping Convention on the Prevention of Marine Pollution by Dumping of Wastes and Other Matter, 1972 (the London Convention)
The need for an international convention to control In practice, in anticipation of its ratification, Australia had voluntarily adopted many of the provisions when issuing permits. Sea dumping permits issued in the last few years have been primarily for the disposal of uncontaminated dredge spoil. Occasionally, the scuttling of vessels and other appropriate materials for artificial reefs has occurred. These fall within the range of the seven permissible categories as listed in Annex 1 of the Protocol. The categories are;
(i) dredged material;
(ii) sewage sludge;
(iii) fish waste, or material resulting from industrial fish processing operations;
(iv) vessels and platforms or other man-made structures at sea;
(v) inert, inorganic geological material;
(vi) organic material of natural origin; and
(vii) bulky items, primarily comprising iron, steel, concrete and similarly unharmful materials,
for which the concern is physical impact, limited to those circumstances where such wastes are generated at locations having no practicable access to disposal options other than dumping (for
example small islands with isolated communities).
Except for in an emergency situation, no other substances may be considered for dumping. The Protocol also prohibits incineration at sea, except in an emergency situation, and prohibits the export of wastes or other matter for dumping into the sea or incineration at sea.

Full article here if your interested .... http://www.environment.gov.au/coasts/pollution/dumping/history/pubs/sea-dumping-aspects.pdf

How Far Out Would You Go In A 5.6m ?? If it's just a fuel consideration, & not withstanding a variety of factors - weather, sea state, distance from emergency response, single vessel or cohort, etc then I'd plan fuel the same way as I plan fuel on any trip. Of the total fuel carried, whether it's in main or aux tanks, or additional fuel in jerrys etc:
* allow 5% as unusable fuel
* 30% out
* 30% back
* 10% diversion/loiter
* 25% reserve

How many tonnes of lead per year does recreational fishing contribute to water pollution?

ffejsmada
02-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Haha...................come in spinners.

You blokes bite better than the threadies and jewies and snapper and everything else he catches!!!!::) ::)

Hornet Rider
02-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Haha...................come in spinners.

You blokes bite better than the threadies and jewies and snapper and everything else he catches!!!!::) ::)

now there's a valuable contribution!! must be electric milk powered

blue_mako
02-08-2008, 09:54 PM
I must admit to shaking my head a bit over drum dumping at sea. I know the Navy do it, and I guess all ships do it. And in 3000 metres it will probably have no effect.

BUT, if this is OK, at what depth is it NOT OK? Where do we draw the line? When is it litter and when is it not? What if a whole lot of people start doing it? When does it become an issue?

The fishings pretty good 350km off the coast give it a go mate, just take plenty of fuel or you might find your boat becomes pollution not just your fuel can!

PinHead
03-08-2008, 03:34 AM
some interesting comments..I have been considering taking my boat offshore..5.6m with a 250 l fuel tank..should be plenty

dodgyone
03-08-2008, 09:15 AM
With trips getting longer and longer these days I find sometimes you have to carry fuel in drums on the deck. Anywhere up to a couple of 44's at times although 60l drums are much easier to move around in a tiller steer dinghy.

How far offshore? Looking at a couple of volcanos that are 240 km offshore at the moment. That is in a 6.6m boat though.

Reg do 100km each way in a Haines v14. Done 130km from land in a 5m tiller steer tinny too.

litenup
03-08-2008, 05:34 PM
The fishings pretty good 350km off the coast give it a go mate, just take plenty of fuel or you might find your boat becomes pollution not just your fuel can!
Why not just bring the drums home. I'm sorry just cause others do, doesn't make it right. Cheers Pete

finding_time
03-08-2008, 06:08 PM
We are not talking toxic nuclear waste!!! Most of the little fuel left in a drum will float out disperse on the surface very quickly and would hardly rate compared to fuel spilt at on water fuel bowsers and there in harbours not 100's of km's off shore. And gee a steel fuel drum what damage is that going to cause??????

As far as carring them home , maybe room is a big issue ! And an empty fuel drum is much more dangerous to have on board than a full one!

Some people are not happy unless there finding fault in things others do , get a grip!!

Ian

Ps. i've seen plenty of potential enviromental hazzards on the ocean floor eg ship wrecks!!!! These have had hundreds of times the potential for harming the eco system than 2 fuel drums do yet they all have ONE thing in common, there covered in marine life, go figure!!!!

blue_mako
03-08-2008, 06:20 PM
With trips getting longer and longer these days I find sometimes you have to carry fuel in drums on the deck. Anywhere up to a couple of 44's at times although 60l drums are much easier to move around in a tiller steer dinghy.

How far offshore? Looking at a couple of volcanos that are 240 km offshore at the moment. That is in a 6.6m boat though.

Reg do 100km each way in a Haines v14. Done 130km from land in a 5m tiller steer tinny too.

Sounds awesome mate, are you trolling?

blue_mako
03-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Standing by as well Ian, for the enlightenment! wonder what funny critters make there home in the drums 2thou below.

ffejsmada
03-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Why not just bring the drums home. I'm sorry just cause others do, doesn't make it right. Cheers Pete

Mate, he can't bring the drums home 'cos the deck of the boat is chockablock full of fish. They're sliding around everywhere!

Fish below the floor, fish above the floor................no room for empty drums!:'(

TimiBoy
03-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Reading the arguments, I'll put a few things to the group;

Just because the impact of chucking fuelly drums over the side is minimal in comparison to what is happening "out there" (bowser spills, shipwrecks), does that make it right?

I will not be going out there, because I don't consider my equipment to be designed for the job. I have about 320 km in the tank, if all goes well. When I have my 40 footer, and 1600 km, I will. If you have to discard such materials, maybe you shouldn't be doing it? Where do you draw the line? What is litter, what is not?

Perhaps more to the point, what is the difference between one drum and a whole rubbish tip? Obviously huge, but at what volume and frequency of dumping is it no longer OK? And if there is a line where one side it's OK, and one side it's not, where is that line?

Chucking the long range tank over the side is a bit like saying "I want it, so I'll take it, and $%^& the consequences" or "Yep, I think green, but only when it suits me."

Like I said before, I agree it's probably harmless, but I don't think that's the point. If you do it, and tell everyone, you are supplying the Greenies with ammo. Dammit, they don't need any help. I reckon this thread should be removed for the good of recreational fishing.

Tim

Tangles
03-08-2008, 08:45 PM
You guys ever heard of rubbish island of the American coast, check it out, all the dumpings from international vessels has by way of current all deposited in one spot... quite a structure,,, apparently seen from outer space as an Island west coast of USA. And most of it if not all is from Navy's and big cargo ships dumping offshore, not your humble fisho

ps a couple of empty fuel drums compared to what the big boys do is peanuts but its your own call that far out ,

as for the greenies,, who cares as no doubt they are all at 'Splendour in the Grass' this weekend and stuffing white stuff up their nose. No doubt when they recover from their hangover etc they can again tell us how to live well.

mike

disorderly
03-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Funny stuff indeed!!

I think some of you guys that are critical of someone dumping a steel drum off the shelf could do well to take a look in the mirror...

Just ask yourselves how much of an impact your own self serving greed and materialism is having on old Mother Earth every Single day..

Scott

bushbeachboy
04-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Funny stuff indeed!!

Just ask yourselves how much of an impact your own self serving greed and materialism is having on old Mother Earth every Single day..

Scott

Scott that truly is a 'disorderly' thing to say:P

Hornet Rider
04-08-2008, 07:02 AM
We are not talking toxic nuclear waste!!! Most of the little fuel left in a drum will float out disperse on the surface very quickly and would hardly rate compared to fuel spilt at on water fuel bowsers and there in harbours not 100's of km's off shore. And gee a steel fuel drum what damage is that going to cause??????

As far as carring them home , maybe room is a big issue ! And an empty fuel drum is much more dangerous to have on board than a full one!

Some people are not happy unless there finding fault in things others do , get a grip!!

Ian

Ps. i've seen plenty of potential enviromental hazzards on the ocean floor eg ship wrecks!!!! These have had hundreds of times the potential for harming the eco system than 2 fuel drums do yet they all have ONE thing in common, there covered in marine life, go figure!!!!

I'm not in the game of making judgements on other's actions, & the environmental impact of several 44 gal drums is a dot on the world impact scale, but it's a bit like telling lies or steeling $3.50. A lie is a lie, no such thing as a white lie, & steeling is steeling, regardless of the amount. Ocean dumping without a permit is unlawful. Ian, this is not about finding fault in anyone, it's about making comment on a practice that is unlawful. I've sailed on French, Australian, British & US warships & they all unlawfully dump into the ocean, as do thousands of merchant ships daily. But that doesn't make it right. The buck always stops with us individually. It's not what other people do that really counts at the end of the day, it's what we each personally do that matters. Personal integrity is all that you have left when they strip you naked. If someone is practicing unlawful ocean dumping then they need to stop it. It sets a bad example, is self indulgent, arrogant & has no place in recreational fishing, already pointed out by Timiboy. And I couldn't give a stuff how many fish are flopping around on deck at the end of the tip - they're tainted. This is not some heroic Who Dares Wins fishing crusade out to the way beyond, it's a simple case of unlawful dumping.

ffejsmada
04-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Better get the violin out I think!::)

Hornet Rider.............So by you being on those "warships", you've dumped rubbish over the side yourself!
Indirectly maybe.........it was still your rubbish.

Then again it's probably ok for the "warships".........they probably have a permit.

Mr__Bean
04-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Time to throw the sea-anchor over guys, we are drifting a bit quick.......

What was this topic about again???

- Darren

mik01
04-08-2008, 10:26 AM
if you were serious about going where you want to go, and didn't want to dump the 44's you could rig up arms that 'folded' out on either side of the boat (think trawler arms).

you could then lash your 44's to them (one on each side) when empty and bring them home.

shouldn't affect your stability or weight distribution (overall weight of empty 44's compared to your boat would be f all) - sure you might use slightly more fuel coming back due to wind drag, however would be less fuel than you used getting out there in the first place with the full 44's.

i dunno - just an 'out there' idea. like i said - if you were really serious you might look at such an alternative.

FNQCairns
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Wonder how long the drums take to corrode gotta be at least a little anoxic down very deep, very sure if we could ask the wildlife at that depth they would say send more down please.

Hard to qualify any harm caused by their introduction, I can if I take the humans and human stuff is just plain bad argument so often used these days but cannot when relating any harm done.

cheers fnq

foxx510
04-08-2008, 11:49 AM
I couldn't throw empty drums overboard, but on the other hand I'd imagine most 2 stroke motors would put just as much fuel into the water in no time at all.

finding_time
04-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I think most of the issue here is with the term DUMPING not with what's being dumped or how it would effect the enviroment!

A couple of years ago, literally hundreds of boats made there way offshore to watch the DUPMING of the HMAS BRISBANE. I didn't see to many people getting up set at the small amount of oil and toxins that were going to leach out over time!!! ( i know it was cleaned but you can bet they missed more than the residue in 2 x 44 gallon drums)

So to all those that have an issue with Blue mako , cheer up as he's now just making a furture artificial reef to benifit the marine creatures off the mid qld shelf. Nice one Blue mako!!!;)

And to you anti dumpers ! I hope you bring home those used chicken carcases because dumping all that extra protine in the ocean will do heaps of harm!:o

Ian

disorderly
04-08-2008, 06:46 PM

Scott

Scott that truly is a 'disorderly' thing to say:P

Why ???

I'm no greeny, but I do realize the incredible damage we are doing to this planet through our rampant greed and materialism....so whats just another steel drum rusting away at the bottom of the ocean compared to the daily decline of our planet purely because we wake up and go about our daily business...we just can't keep going on the way we are...something has got to give.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

scott

Hornet Rider
04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Better get the violin out I think!::)

Hornet Rider.............So by you being on those "warships", you've dumped rubbish over the side yourself!
Indirectly maybe.........it was still your rubbish.

Then again it's probably ok for the "warships".........they probably have a permit.

Mate, feel better after purging the system with that gem? If you want to torture yourself with your own logic, fill your boots. And no, they didn't have permits for domestic waste dumping, but over the side it went regardless. Treated effluent was permitted.

ifishcq1
04-08-2008, 08:54 PM
getting back to the original thread if you can carry enough fuel and the weather is right you can go anywhere
all the above posted safety margins come into play

I reckon fuel capacity of a 5.6m or any small boat should be what is built in and a limited number of tote tanks others can determine that
it still has to comply with weight carrying regs

I can't really comment with 2000 ltr built in tanks in my bigger rig

2 x 44s
how many small boats have a spare 400 kg+ in load carrying capacity anyway

SL

1lastcast
05-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Some interesting info indeed ,ifishcq1 i see your point and idon`t think i am ready to go out far enough to require a 44 drum full of fuel but maybe a couple of 20 ltr jerry cans if i was to go out to the shelf .

It appears many ausfishers don`t have a problem going out as far as the fuel will get them but does anybody worry about loosing radio contact in case of trouble ?.

I am not sure what sort of range the average vhf radio has ( i think around 25n/miles ) does anybody know exactly ? and would this concern anyone ?

It would concern me ! perhaps i would go out a lot further if i knew there were other boats out there in case of an emergency.

What do you think ?

MONOSTRETCHO

finding_time
05-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Monostretcho

25 miles is about it for a little boats vhf bigger boat that are taller have increased range. Out at the shelf off the goldy ,say at jims mount you cannot reach the sea way tower !

I guess it's about limiting your change of a problem as much as possible, keep your outboard in top nic aswell as your batteries ,fuel filters,etc!!

If you have done all this and still have a problem you may be able to reach a boat closer to you than vmr. and there is always that epirb if all else fails!
Since i got the cat it's been a relief to have the 2 motors connected to 2 separate fuel tanks, this gives a fair piece of mind! I guess it all about what your comfortable with!

Ian

FNQCairns
05-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Sat phone! Shame the conditions of contract are so poor, at least they were when I had one for remote area work.

A person could also have an upper and lower side band am cb unit in a box with aerial, it will get out a call to someone somewhere at night if in a jam, might be received NZ though, with no reply heard.

Have an auxiliary, mostly peace of mind but with a chest puffing level of can do it myself self confidence.

cheers fnq

Mr__Bean
05-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Another consideration is to have a first aid kit on board.

When playing with sharp objects and things that bite back you need to have the capability to stop a large would bleeding out whilst you get yourself back to help.

This takes more than a couple of band aids, take a look in the first aid kit and make sure you have enough to close up a decent wound, I also bought a cheap pair of Bunnings side cutters to put in there too (cutting hooks out).

I also bought a couple of rocket flares as I stay out overnight at times.

See here: http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=74252&search123=rocket+flare&intAbsolutePage=1

- Darren

QF3 MROCP
05-08-2008, 07:15 PM
A good rule is a third out, third in and third reserve.

Just a couple of observations from the threads above:

When you're out so far from sight of land, what communications are you using if you get into trouble. Relying on 27Meg or VHF maybe touch and go and mobile phones are out of the question. Are many of you carrying Sat Phones nowadays?

The other point I note is the amount of fuel on board. I know from a Coast Guard perspective we now have insurance obligations to not carry more than 25 litres as "spare" in drums for an assist call if some-one needs fuel. What this now means is that we have to tow you back to within range that will get you back to shore with the 25L. SO, check out your insurance policy to see what restrictions or waivers you have...

Peter

Just thought I would bring this issue up again.. as the fuel payloads appear to be getting bigger as this thread grows...

Why not get the unused Combi Trader converted to a fuel tanker and park it 50 mile off shore!

FNQCairns
05-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Just thought I would bring this issue up again.. as the fuel payloads appear to be getting bigger as this thread grows...

Why not get the unused Combi Trader converted to a fuel tanker and park it 50 mile off shore!

Could it have also have a bar.....topless waitresses?, is 50 mile enough to be out of the reach of our social engineering betters? Even further might work:)
;D

But the real question is how far can a 4.2m, 4st tinny travel on a 44 and a 25L tote tank? Suspect that might be the limit for all of us:D

cheers fnq

scoota
05-08-2008, 08:44 PM
How far in a 5.6m would I go?

Not as far as I would go in a 7.6m!

That is the common sense response. Most top quality 5.6m 4 stroke boats have a range of 200km give or take but if it turns ugly, who wants to be out there?

Limit your range to your boats ability and the region you are fishing.For example, once you have left most southern qld ports you are in open seas and at full exposure to ocean weather but some northern waters are far more protected from the full force of open waters.
Hands up those who have punched back into a 25 knot s/wester not predicted by the bom from offshore and cursed all the way home or had to pick down till it passed because fuel was a problem.
As for dumping 44's inshore, not a good practice but have heard of many years ago as common practise out of many northern qld ports to get to the outer grounds but bringing home the drums strapped to the bow became the norm on most of the bigger craft or arranging larger craft to dump 44's at certain destinations and empties returned.
The ocean is not a dump and f*^# the navy for their piss poor attitude and if you don't have the fuel, go on a boat that has!!!!
Honestly, with the amount of new charters offshore at competative rates, who wants to risk life and limb in a life and death situation with your best friends and maybe lose one? Not me...

Common sense lads..

Scoota...

mik01
05-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't be worried overly about radio contact (with shore) - if you log in and don't return or call in they will come looking for you anyway.
lets face it, that far off shore and you have buckleys of gaining any advantage by radioing for help - I reckon you would be better off setting off the epirb and throw the jacket on. if you have time then send out a call on the vhf - another boat nearby can always relay the mayday or come to assist.

finding_time
05-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Hands up those who have punched back into a 25 knot s/wester not predicted by the bom from offshore and cursed all the way home or had to pick down till it passed because fuel was a problem.

Scoota...

Scoota i kind of agree with most but the above has me interested. An unforecast sw/er.... that's a land breezwe mate and will be lucky to get more that 20nm out to sea ;) , you tend to hit these comming home from glassed out conditions wider , if fishing wide your outside these systems. I generally strike them at about mid night travelling home from the banks ,it starts to get sloopy around the 15 miles and gets worse till you almost home! If your real wide these are not really an issue!

Ian

1lastcast
06-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Once i logged in with the seaway tower and forgot to log off ( yes i gave myself a few upper cuts before anybody asks ) anyway i rang the seaway tower from home 4 hours after i was logged to return and they said that they were just about to ring the water police and coast guard to inform them that i had not returned.

They had tried to contact my mobile phone but it was turned off as soon as i realised i stuffed up i rang them straight away.

So i know for a fact that four hours had past since i was supposed to return so i would highly recommend that you do not rely on the fact that they will come looking for you because it may be to late .

so we have only our epirb now and once you activate it it is still going to take 1-2 hours or more before you will see help.

I think i would preffer not to put myself in the position where i was completely alone in a trailer boat with no radio contact with other boats or land .

That is my ( comfort zone ) i reffered to earlier in this thread .

Regards MONOSTRETCHO

wilcara
06-08-2008, 04:28 PM
so we have only our epirb now and once you activate it it is still going to take 1-2 hours or more before you will see help.Mate, it can take that long for the signal to be picked up, processed through Canberra and local people notified.

If you were actually rescued in that time frame I would be stunned. I've been involved in a few, though not at sea I admit, and let me tell you it takes hours to get everything organised and people in etc etc etc.

If there is a chopper in the air in your area you will be lucky as they can have a quick look. If though it is onground and you are looking at a cold start, well, keep paddling.

scoota
06-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Scoota i kind of agree with most but the above has me interested. An unforecast sw/er.... that's a land breezwe mate and will be lucky to get more that 20nm out to sea ;) , you tend to hit these comming home from glassed out conditions wider , if fishing wide your outside these systems. I generally strike them at about mid night travelling home from the banks ,it starts to get sloopy around the 15 miles and gets worse till you almost home! If your real wide these are not really an issue!

Ian
I can tell you from first hand experience Ian that coming home to Bribie from tempest at night in a 5.6m centre console into a 25 KNOT S/Wester in winter and having to peel the fingers off the wheel after slogging it for two hours wet and cold is in your arse!!! Thank god for hiding behind a windscreen these days in a 6.5m boat if you get my drift;)

Scoota...

finding_time
06-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Yep it gets cold across the bay , it usually starts gettiong really cold as you smell the freshwater lakes of Moretom island and cooooools from there !

Ian

1lastcast
06-08-2008, 10:15 PM
wilcara i did say ( 1-2 hours or more ) thats my point things dont happen straight away they might recieve the signal fairly quickly but by the time everything is organised you could be stuffed.

A coastguard member once told me that every second epirb activation is a false alarm from accidental activation or from deliberate activations by loosers fooling around so they have to make sure it is a definate emergency to i suppose .

Regards MONOSTRETCHO

Hornet Rider
05-09-2008, 06:36 PM

Looks like one of your 44's might have surfaced......

disorderly
05-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Once i logged in with the seaway tower and forgot to log off ( yes i gave myself a few upper cuts before anybody asks ) anyway i rang the seaway tower from home 4 hours after i was logged to return and they said that they were just about to ring the water police and coast guard to inform them that i had not returned.

They had tried to contact my mobile phone but it was turned off as soon as i realised i stuffed up i rang them straight away.

So i know for a fact that four hours had past since i was supposed to return so i would highly recommend that you do not rely on the fact that they will come looking for you because it may be to late .

so we have only our epirb now and once you activate it it is still going to take 1-2 hours or more before you will see help.

I think i would preffer not to put myself in the position where i was completely alone in a trailer boat with no radio contact with other boats or land .

That is my ( comfort zone ) i reffered to earlier in this thread .

Regards MONOSTRETCHO

Never logged on myself...

but then again I don't venture out further than 75km's ..
and,of course, I have an E-Tec on the back to get me home safely.;)

Seriously,though,what's the point in logging on if the coastguard is not going to notify anybody when you are hours late...

When do they assume that it's not just a slack logger on/off person...and when do they take action if they haven't heard from someone that hasn't logged off???

I'm interested to know the correct protocol in this situation??

Scott

Redhunter
05-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi Monostretcho, I used to own a Barcrusher Cudi Cab 560 with a 140 suzi and I regularly did over nighters off the fraser coast, around 60 - 70 k wide and even up to the gardener banks. The weather was always generally good conditions around 1.2-1.5 m and around 10-15 knots.
Hope this helps, Big Reds.

Luke G
05-09-2008, 10:42 PM
I've had the Poly 45nm which is 80odd km out a few times. Its a long way back if the wind picks up.

death_ship
05-09-2008, 11:30 PM
if you dont log off they notify water police who ring your mobile and next of kin or emergency number thats on rego papers, it takes a while for a full scale search but

Hornet Rider
05-09-2008, 11:54 PM
if you dont log off they notify water police who ring your mobile and next of kin or emergency number thats on rego papers, it takes a while for a full scale search but

I guess the real question is what is the trigger for CG or VMR to call the Police? No contact after 1 hour? 2 hours? How long do they wait? Is it a standardised procedure throughout CG & VMR in every State & Territory in Australia? I'll have to find out.

Mr__Bean
06-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Never logged on myself...

but then again I don't venture out further than 75km's ..
and,of course, I have an E-Tec on the back to get me home safely.;)

Seriously,though,what's the point in logging on if the coastguard is not going to notify anybody when you are hours late...

When do they assume that it's not just a slack logger on/off person...and when do they take action if they haven't heard from someone that hasn't logged off???

I'm interested to know the correct protocol in this situation??

Scott

Not sure of the protocol but I was called by CG Mooloolaba when over my logged return time, don't remeber how long it was over (maybe 30 minutes) but it did give me some comfort that they had started to call for me.

- Darren

TimiBoy
06-09-2008, 06:39 AM
A few weeks ago I went out, logged on, gave them phone number and all other details. I always report in when I'm about to cross, in or out.

Usually they ask you when you cross the bar to call them to let them know you made it, but not always. So when they ask, I do.

This time, they didn't ask on the way back in, so I didn't. An hour later, just pulling in to Raby Bay I get a call from the Water Police. He was really antsy at me, gave me a lecture saying it's common courtesy to always tell them whether they ask or not.

They rang my wife (11:30 pm) to get my number, but they already had it?

Lesson learned. I tell them I'm over the bar religiously now. I'm impressed that they seemed very, very serious about it.

Cheers,

Tim

Reel Blue
06-09-2008, 12:11 PM
A message for those that don't log on: At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious a search that is started two, three or even five hours late to the approriate area the boater identifies, is far better than no search at all. Your missus might think you are fishing for the day and expect you home that night, and then alert the authorities, but if you are dumped on the bar at 5:30am that means quite a bit of time treading water!

snapperbasher
06-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Going back to the dumping of the drums::) .Maybe we all should stop using combustion engines and "metal" sinkers look at the unburnt fuel getting into the ocean from engines and the lead or other metals from the sinkers;) and all this is happening in inshore waters. dont see anyone complaining about that. maybe its because they dont want to row or drill holes in rocks for sinkers::) at the end of the day a few or even hundreds of blue mako's drums will not make anywhere near the difference of our outboards and sinkers.

Cheers Lochie