PDA

View Full Version : How far have you gone?

Gagga08
31-07-2008, 02:21 PM
I was fishing for some bream and pinkies in Corio Bay last weekend, throwing some 2" camo sandworms up close to some pier pylons. I got a little too enthusastic and put a bit to much into one of my cast only to end up wrapped around the pylon itself. Not being one to surrender my snaged softies I motored over with my electric, grabbed hold of the pylon and reached around to remove my softie. Cost of which would have been less than a dollar (including jighead). I chuckled to myself as I thought how much of a tight arse I was being. I always try to save my snagged lures.

I spose I was wondering if I need to seek professional counciling and learn to 'let go' of my snagged plastics or are there others out there who, like me, chase down everything in an effort to save themselves a few dollars.

I would love to hear your stories

Gagga

Pete62
31-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Gagga, mate don't knock yourself out about this, justify it by seeing the environmental side of it, that little placky could have ended up stuck in the gut of a pelican or worse you could have seen it picked off the pylon by a big blue nose. Chin up, Pete.

SeaHunt
31-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Furter than that Gagga, like driving home getting a snorkel and flippers and coming back and diving in off the rocks to get my lure back.
Picked up some sinkers as a bonus.

Noelm
31-07-2008, 02:59 PM
hhmm let me see, I was on Holidays in Caloundra, went casting at the bridge near the Power Boat club, had a few casts and was mucking about and my $2 softie got stuck on the rocks near the edge of the channel, so, over the rail onto the small but numerous rocks, covered in slime and Oysters, slipped asr$e over, cut the sh!t out of my foot, wet my wallet and all it's contents, ripped my shorts getting back over the rail when I was all wet, was it worth it, HELL NO!

iricangi
31-07-2008, 03:07 PM
I grab my snorkel gear when theres not much surf and free dive around the rock fishing platforms and grab all the hooks/sinkers/metal slugs off the rocks that people get snagged on.

WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!

O and when i was 10 or so i was fishing off a currumbin creek jetty with 2 rods, the 1 i wasn't holding flew off into the water because i had no drag set on it, turned out to be a monster trevally i let it go as i was still in shock and i rod home soaked clothes shoes and all ::)

2manylures
31-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Personally, I'm saving myself for the right fish.;D ;) :o

danryan75
31-07-2008, 04:53 PM
me and a mate were snorkeling around north point rocks at moreton when we came across a latge snag formed completely of old line, hooks, sinkers and slugs. weighed about 30kgs and took 2 of us to surface it and carry it to the car. sort of became a bit of a holiday project to recover the tackle. ended up with a tonne or sinkers and hooks and a few slugs. not my tackle i went to lengths to get but other people

cheers

Cammy
31-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I try my best, but if it involves going over oyster covered rocks or diving down deep im out.

Cam

BtotheM
31-07-2008, 05:26 PM
The only reason i go in to get my lure, is caus i use like 2 and 4lb leaders i hate re riggin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

black_sheep
31-07-2008, 05:44 PM
A mate use to fish with this guy that couldn't cast a baitcastor to save his life and was always putting lures up trees. I mean 30ft up and was the biggest tight arse, he use to climb the tree to retrieve his lure. Without fail, every trip, you'd hear a branch crack or him screaming 'f*******k' as he lost his grip and turned into a human 'drop bear'. Funny sh*t to see it happen time and time again.

NAGG
31-07-2008, 06:36 PM
The only reason i go in to get my lure, is caus i use like 2 and 4lb leaders i hate re riggin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep thats my reasoning too ....... just lazy

You should see the battle scars on my leccy ........ most from going in close to retrieve a lure / plastic ( no one gets left behind...;D US Marines)

Nagg

Little grey men
01-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I'll swim in after expensive bass lures, I prefer to do it in warmer weather....I can let the soft plastics go with out too many tears. Some times its just a matter of swimming over the area the lures snagged in and pulling from the opposite direction. Along the banks of North Pine Dam I've got a few really long skinny tree branches with forked ends....very handy lure retrievers.
I fish in a nice little spot on the Condamine. Theres an ancient old dead tree almost in the middle of the river. On the first branch about ten ft out of the water you can still see my spinnerbait glistening in the sun. That was a hell of a cast.

I should get Blacksheeps mate to get it for me. ;)

JIMBO99
01-08-2008, 02:15 PM
jimbo99
8-) Mate I was marlin fishing off lizard in n/qld and had an engine breakdown and had to run back to Cooktown for repairs. I woke up next morning tied up to the wharf, and the wharf was full of young kids (Saturday) fishing and spinning for Mackrel and landing them hand over fist. One kid a little aborigional lad of about 15 latched onto a mackrel and the smart fish dashed under the wharf spat the lure and the lad got it hooked on some beaut big oysters on a pylon near the boat, I had the rubber duck tied alongside and hopped into it to free the lure for him as it was only about a foot under water, I reached down and giggled it loose with my hand !!! big mistake !! a B$%#@dy mackrel spotted it as I was jiggling it and BAAAANNG hit it and my hand as well< I yelled and ripped my hand loose from it's mouth bleeding profusely, he got three fingers and a thumb. the lad got the mackrel about three feet long and I went up to the hospital for stitches and bandages, The kids got mackrel, ribbon fish, trevelly (Golden) and salmon over that weekend. September1981. I couldn't fish< had a cut up hand didn't I, still the deckies got plenty, never caucht mackrel off a wharf before.:oops: jimbo.

cbruh1
01-08-2008, 03:51 PM
One day i was casting a HB lure at some snags for a flatty but for nothing other then to be snagged, the lure snapped off, so I thought O well, better the lure then me, re-rigged and started casting again. 5 mins later floating with the current towards me was my lure that got snagged, "sweet" I say. only problem is I am on a jetty 2m in the air, so i managed to get a bit of lure on lure action and managed to catch it back, I was pretty happy about that.

nuggstar
15-08-2008, 02:17 AM
the only time i dont go in is when i cant see the bottom of the brown muck flowing out of the river. i just love swimming for hardbodys.........NOT. if i can get to it, i go in for placys too. your not the only one mate thats a tight ass hehe.
this is me getting my bassday suger deep back from a bricked cod,i dont like to let them win, can ya tell ;D :P

fleety77
15-08-2008, 07:30 AM
carzy, not for me......................keep my toes dry for a couple of bucks, i do agree about exposed tackle top marks for trying to retrieve it!!!

Dirtysanchez
15-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Not a lure, but an ancor for me..
Had an overnighter in the Hawkesbury river NSW as a younger bloke.. In the morning the tide had turned us and wedged the anchor onto something and it was not coming back >:(
Anyway, I had a pair of goggles like the swimmers use in the front hatch of the boat, so after a good nap I decided that as daylight improved I would put the goggles on, and dive down along the anchor rope to try and free the anchor.

How stupid was that ? the place is full of tiger sharks..
Down I went, the sounder said 25 foot, it felt like 50 and half way down a 2 foot hammer head said hello, I warded him off with a rear passage discharge, and decided I could afford a new anchor. Cut the rope and let the boat moving with the current to assist my exit... stage up !!

reidy
15-08-2008, 03:37 PM
As Nagg said "no one gets left behind"(which has no relationship with the USMC.Watching to many movies).Even go to the extent of walking the shore of Arthurs Lake etc retrieving lures when the water levels drop off.Its bloody amazing what you pick up,they stay in reasonable condition in the cold fresh down here.
Have fun
Cheers
Reidy