PDA

View Full Version : arvor 20

tae4551
30-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Just after a bit more info on these boats from people who own one or have been on one on the thought's on the way they handle speed ect. also was curious are they hydralic steering. everything i have read seems to be a tad different.

finding_time
31-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I’m sure Arvor( on ausfish) will respond with a glowing report but here are my observations from many trips on one!

2 or 3 up with minimal gear (re weight) your traveling at 18 knots but add to much weight you’ll quickly drop to 15 knots and we found that with 4 divers and gear we were traveling at 13 knots on many occasions! Fuel use was 9l/per hour no matter the load but at only 13 knots it’s not as good as you think!

Many people say they don’t bang this is partially true but only because they don’t go that fast and if you drove many makes of monohulls at the same speed in the same conditions they wouldn’t bang either! I bad conditions they bang like any other mono, rob k on here spent one very long trip trying to get back to round hill on one in bad conditions wishing for his haines!

I think they would be an ideal boat if your major fishing grounds were within 20-25nm from the ramp and you didn’t plan to do to much camping on the boat as the cabin is very small , this does give a big working deck which is great but sitting out there in bad conditions on the trip home when only 2 fit in the cabin can be miserable, specially when it takes 4 hours?

Just my thoughts!

Ian

tae4551
31-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Ian,
thanks for the thoughts. i am looking at in a commercial point of view, distance of travel is around 18 mile, speed is not much a factor there. i was more concerned about there handling, economy ect. there is only 2 of us so it depends on how cosy you want to get in the cab i suppose, only wish the deckie was female and not 76. anyway thanks for the input
regards
Todd

finding_time
31-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Commercially i think there ideal! But weight is a performance killer as stated! I know crossing the wooli bar was a little hairy due to lack of get up and go , comming in was MUCH worse with a load on! Cabin is fine for 2, and would be great the further south you go , summer off brisbane was a tad on the hot side

Ian

tae4551
01-08-2008, 09:03 AM
just out of interest how much weight would the diving gear weigh. the way i understand it i should have no problem sitting on around 18kn most of the time. the most weight i would be carrying is around 350kg persons included.
18kn is that at wot
Todd

arvor
01-08-2008, 09:25 AM
you are right ian i will respond.they are a boat that has to suit the owner.you have the speeds corect but that suits us.we leave here and fast troll to the banks.25 to 35 nm.at 13 knots and have had sucsess while traveling.we dont need 40plus knots .my body and my bank account cant take it.as for the cabin it is small.but can overnight and sleep well .but it dont have cooking and lounge facilities.it does get hot in there in summer but most times trolling up to 10 knots im on the tiller and binical controls on deck.now for sea handling im sure evan you would rather the 234kgs of engine weight at water line with a keel under that rather than sitting high up on transom.and fighting a decent fish around stern without an engine cowl to lean over is a pleasure.and now the fuel useage.it is what they say and i dont have to ask for people to throw in as i would have gone out anyway.and i can get out twice a week and it dosent hurt one bit.so if you take into account what you want from a vessel .this is what we need.thats my bit.
gary mooloolaba.

tae4551
01-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Arvor is what your saying that 13kn is as fast as it will travel. for instance in good conditions 2 people on board what would the average speed i would get out of it. as i stated speed is not so much of an issue but i was hoping for something more in the 16 to 18 mark. whats an average time frame for you to get to the banks.

Noelm
01-08-2008, 10:49 AM
you will be surprised how fast you will cover ground at a steady 13knots, in a fast Boat, you may be doing 25knots one minute, but 10 the next, but the steady "chugger" will just power on hour after hour, many a long voyage has been made at 4 knots, don't be all fired up about top speed, even for Bar crossings, a good skipper will get you through a bar at 10 knots much safer than a hoon in a speed boat, trust me on that one!

Mr__Bean
01-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Not sure how you may be planning to use an Arvor but one thing I noted is that they sit very high on their trailer due to the keel.

Not a problem if you have a good sharp ramp but could be an issue on a long slow ramp.

- Darren

trev1
01-08-2008, 04:09 PM
it seems the world of speed has too many of us in. I like the idea and the concept, but not having ridden in one cant comment any further. I would prefer to spend less on fuel and servicing costs and wake up an hour earlier myself but am not financially unchallenged at this stage.
Pro fisherman still use older style chuggers and get the job done.
For some of us, I guess the trip can be as important as the destination.

arvor
01-08-2008, 05:25 PM
hi again well todd 18kn is the best i can get out of ours which is 33kph as ours is antifould thats at 2800 revs so a clean hull and clean prop id expect 18 everyday.as for time to get to the banks?1.5 to 2 hours depends on the trip and if we hook up on the way.and as trev said the destination is nice .but the journey is great.and mr bean is right about the launch and retrive.so i made up an extention drawbar that sinks the trailer in another 1.5 meters.that works fine .but most of the year its moored.
so good luck todd.
gary.

tae4551
01-08-2008, 09:32 PM
thanks for all the input guys.
Arvor i wouldn't mind having a more in depth chat with you. your boat is not moored at mooloolaba is it in a mongst the yatches. i have seen one there. i have pretty much made my mind up that i will be buying one.
cheers
Todd

arvor
02-08-2008, 05:19 PM
hi todd thats fine but if you like. pm your number to me and ill get back to you .itried to pm you but didnt work .
gary.

tae4551
08-08-2008, 09:55 AM
arvor sent you a pm hope it worked
Todd