PDA

View Full Version : Special nut socket bit

BaitThrower
30-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a special socket bit that is pretty much like a normal socket from a socket set, i.e. round body, hex internal end for fitting on the nut, but at the other end, I need the outside of the bit not to be round, but to be hex shaped so I can fit a normal wrench on the outside to tighten it. Reason being is that I need to tighten some cylinder head bolts and there is not enough room to get the ratchet wrench attached to the socket to undo it (outboard casing in the way).

I hope the above makes sense... Anyway if these bits have a special name, can you let me know because I'm trying to google them online (if they exist) and have no idea what to search for specifically.

Ta!

Edit: It's like some of those standard spark plug sockets! But I'm looking for a 1/2" one ;)

pedrodepacus
30-07-2008, 04:39 PM
mate go into somewhere like glenfords or try snap on maybe

lethal098
30-07-2008, 04:45 PM
can you show photo of what you are trying to get out, whereabouts are you located, am a mechanic and may have the tool you need just need to see the job. cheers lethal

honda900
30-07-2008, 04:48 PM
If I read what you wrote right,

stick an extension bar in your socket and use a shifter on the square end.

Regards
HOnda

Dirtysanchez
30-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Isn't this a job for a proper tension wrench ?

pedrodepacus
30-07-2008, 05:01 PM
i was just at bolt pro and asked the old fella there he said a tube spanner which now seems logical

BaitThrower
30-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the replies... Hmm yes a tube spanner may do the trick!

Cant fit extension bar, well, I'd need a flexible one at least because of the restricted room. I did find something that may work out in the shed but not sure I could get enough torque on it. I'll go down the tube spanner path.

The other thing I was considering was heat bending a standard 1/2" wrench to remove the obstructions that are stopping me using a normal straight shaft wrench :)

2manylures
30-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Isn't this a job for a proper tension wrench ?

Have to agree.

Tighten too much in alley; whoosho & $ & ? not to mention other possibilities without correct tension.:o

Be careful! :o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tunaticer
30-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Weld a nut to the back of the socket

Jack.

Roughasguts
30-07-2008, 05:44 PM
You tried a ring spanner ??

But your really looking for something like a spark plug socket aren't you, they have a hex end.

You can get flexible extentions from super cheap, 18 bucks! haven't busted mine yet.

Yeah just read the spark plug thing Ooops, but ok if you got a welder cut up a cheap socket and 1/2 inch socket and weld it up, Bloody easy !... do it in 2 mins.

Roughasguts
30-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Sorry Jack, it took me to long to type my reply in the dark.

BaitThrower
30-07-2008, 05:52 PM
You tried a ring spanner ??

But your really looking for something like a spark plug socket aren't you, they have a hex end.

You can get flexible extentions from super cheap, 18 bucks! haven't busted mine yet.

Yeah just read the spark plug thing Ooops, but ok if you got a welder cut up a cheap socket and 1/2 inch socket and weld it up, Bloody easy !... do it in 2 mins.

Yeah a flexible extension would work well in this instance, but can they take high torque?

Roughasguts
30-07-2008, 06:18 PM
If it don't, return it back and get your money back, nothing be lost then.

Kleyny
30-07-2008, 07:35 PM
You can get uni joints that are impact proof. meant for rattle guns, so if you get one of these you shouldnt break it with just hand tools.

Impact sockets/ extensions/ joints are black (well used to be 8 years ago)
To be honest you can just buy a normal half decent uni/swivel joint and you'll find that they take a beating with a rattle gun before they break.

neil

Kajiki
30-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Have a look on the Snap-on web site. Top drawer stuff and you pay but you may get the idea of what you need and look for a cheap copy

http://www.snapon.com/

trymyluck
30-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Try Kinchrome, they have a range of what they call go-through sockets that might do the job.
Mark

madmackrel
31-07-2008, 09:35 AM
8-) As mentioned before weld a nut to the socket give me a call on 0422 880 886 and ill do it for nothing Cheers Perry

Bros
31-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Reason being is that I need to tighten some cylinder head bolts and there is not enough room to get the ratchet wrench attached to the socket to undo it (outboard casing in the way).

I've never heard of a cylinder head that you cannot tighten up with a socket spanner. The reason being is they must be tightened with a tension wrench and to the best of my knowledge they are for socket spanners.
Are you trying to do a shortcut job by not removing the power head from the motor?

BaitThrower
31-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Are you trying to do a shortcut job by not removing the power head from the motor?

Yep you got it.. If I removed powerhead then it would be straightforward :P but not being a mechanic, that's a much larger job and I only really need to change the thermostat which i can do this way. The lower cylinder bolts are the only issue, but I think i have some good suggestions here to follow which should get the job done.

Bros
31-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Yep you got it.. If I removed powerhead then it would be straightforward :P but not being a mechanic, that's a much larger job and I only really need to change the thermostat which i can do this way.

Oh I see well you shouldn't have any problems with head tension as they have been tensioned before and you should be able to get back to somewhere near the original tension.

I have had the power head off a 60 hp motor and that wasn't a big deal provided the shaft comes out easy but a bit of overkill to replace a thermostat.

lethal098
01-08-2008, 07:17 AM
baitthrower, if you need any flex extensions or uni joints let me know i can lend em to you if you want, i am on the northside of brisbane and would be happy to help. cheers

BaitThrower
01-08-2008, 07:36 AM
baitthrower, if you need any flex extensions or uni joints let me know i can lend em to you if you want, i am on the northside of brisbane and would be happy to help. cheers

Cheers mate thanks for your offer. If I get stuck I'll let ya know. Just waiting on some new gaskets to come from the states so I can re-assemble it all back together.

Glad I pulled it apart now because there was a heap of salt and dirt buildup in the cooling passages and the thermostat was pretty old and corroded. Wasn't sure how to clean all the passages out but found a great product... Simple Green BBQ Cleaner spray. Sprays in and foams up. Leave for 5 mins and then attack with some sandpaper. Works great at loosening the crud and the sandpaper did the rest. Internals clean and like new again!