PDA

View Full Version : something in the air

outsiderskip
30-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Had a deep wound in the bow of my boat from last fishing trip
took my boat to my regular builder for repairs.
next day picked up boat that had some dust on it and i said id wash it off
next morning early boat had some dew on it so i tried giving dust off with a hose but could not remove it so i tried acatone ,still no good then tried cut and polish
still no good ,so i rang my builder he had no ideas either only to find out his 2 cars that were parked outside had same dust on it, now they need resprays.
The only thing i found out to remove the stains was acid now boat looks like new
has this happened to anyone else

pete
http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/forum/Themes/default/images/icons/modify_inline.gif

Reel Nauti
30-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Was it paint dust Pete? What do you think it was and where on the planet did this happen?

Cheers

Dave

Kajiki
30-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Was the repairer under a flight path?

dreemon
30-07-2008, 03:03 PM
How much Acid did you go through? % wise

jtpython
30-07-2008, 04:17 PM
OOOOOOOOO not good mate Know how i'd feel if it happened to my boat No one was sand blasting close hey or did you leave your boat at Gladstone

Sounds like Gladstone's dust problems (where's Mangomick :P )
JT

ashh
30-07-2008, 04:23 PM
it would be over spray from paint...guaranteed

breamnut
30-07-2008, 04:43 PM
this wouldnt be yor problem but when i worked at currumbin marine the trucks would bring the polycraft boats to us and the exaust from the truck left little black specs on the boat, it was a pain in the ass to get it of

outsiderskip
30-07-2008, 06:02 PM
boat was left on sat night at hemmant
it rained that night,used about 1ltr of acid
but might have to hit a few more spots

pete

jimbo59
30-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Sounds like overspray :'( .

honda900
30-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Just a thought, What kind of acid did you use that worked? that will indicate what the dust was.

Regards
HOnda

outsiderskip
30-07-2008, 07:46 PM
no spray paint was done
i used pool acid

Blackened
30-07-2008, 09:11 PM
G'day

Pete, you were up at arnolds I suppose, any chance it could be a combination of things like jet fuel and dust? Maybe it's set and gelled overnight? Just throwing a few things out there

Dave

Reel Nauti
30-07-2008, 09:39 PM
I lived in Gladstone for nearly 40 years and never ever once had anything on the car or the boat that didn't blow off ie: a bit of coal dust or alumina powder.

Some people have little if any idea.

It's a strange one Pete that's for sure, but would be very interesting to know what the substance actually was.

Dave

outsiderskip
31-07-2008, 07:39 AM
hi blackened dave
was in next street to arnolds
might have to do another acid bath still got few marks remain
pete

boatboy50
31-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Hey,

If you've given it an acid bath, it will need a full polish and wax again.

The acid rips off all the protective layers that polish and wax puts on.

Regards

Darren

outsiderskip
31-07-2008, 09:09 AM
hi darren
i know
will give it a polish as soon as i get all the crap off

pete

Getout
31-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Sounds like steel dust from a grinder. If you wash/brush it off immediately, there is usually no problem but if you let it get wet for just a little while, it stains brown. Acid does the trick.

outsiderskip
31-07-2008, 03:09 PM
stains were a reddish colour i
ve had rust stains before

pete

Whitey81
31-07-2008, 03:51 PM
If it was overspray it would be raised. If it is some kind of fallout it would be a stain at best, a chemical attack which would have caused pitting as worst. When i worked at refinery in gladstone we used to have to wash the cars with acid so you could see out the windows. I know using acid to get it off means it would have been alkaline based. a number of industries use caustic based solutions from water treatment to paper manufacturing. It will leave a yellow to red stain.
Not an expert but a possibilty

For the record mainly dust in Gladstone but industrial fallout is not uncommon. Reel Nauti ive had stuff that does not wash off. Coal dust does not just wash off. Caustic fallout does not just wash off. But i moved there knowing the industries were in town so no whinging.

Blackened
31-07-2008, 07:45 PM
G'day

Pete, fair enough..... could be anything up there... I've had molten metal from grinding a few times, and it's a bastard, will rust again after some time.

Do you have any pics of the area?

If it's rusty, is your haines orange? May get a good color match out of it ;)

Dave

outsiderskip
01-08-2008, 06:40 AM
hi dave
not rust stains had there before
have done 2acid was most of it is off now its ready for a polish
forgotto take a pic
boat all white

thanks
pete

rubba
15-09-2008, 05:27 PM
boatboy had seafear acid washed then was supposed to be polished and waxed left boat very dull and looked like it was left out in yard all its life and payed top dollar for it was very pissed off mate>:(