PDA

View Full Version : Barra Tackle for the new season

NAGG
29-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi Ausfishers

As a bit of a companion piece to Brians "Barra Musing" thread ....... I'm a little curious to know what adjustments we have made to our tackle for the new season ..... yes I know that we should have been fishing through those cooler months ....... but hey - we either couldn't get there or couldn't be bothered dragging our backsides out of bed to get there::) ;) .
Are we using or going to use new reels , rods , line , lures etc etc ....... If so ... why have you made the change?

Heres to happy times ahead :balloon3:

Nagg

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
30-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Nagg,
A 'new look' Lake Awoonga down beneath the surface has changed my approach to fishing slightly, yet again. A few new lures, 2 new rod/reel combos and a changed mental attitude to the new lake will help keep me in touch with yet another 'chapter' in changing lake dynamics.
Weed and moss buffers on the edges and weed bed barriers out in deep water have changed water flow and wave action, so for the ' now time', in some ways, we have a lake and some barramundi that will behave differently in these circumstances. Some good lures that have done quite well in the past may not do as good and some new fandangle tackle will fill a few gaps.
Cheers,
Johnny
* This is as simple as I can describe it.

Whitto
30-07-2008, 08:01 AM
A couple of new things..extended the arsonal with a new Spin outfit (Some Eric Magic).......a couple of new Lures....hoping to give the girls something new to ponder over.......New Sounder and upgraded the comfort seating level....new LED Nav Lights for those late late evening sortee's and a pair of clear goggles for those pesky bugs.....If next winter is any indication of this year I shall be taking advantage next year......Now bring on September 12/13/14.......Then November.....Then ect ect......Cheers Whitto

New....Egrell Spin 4 Barra

New....TD Advantage 4000A Spin Reel

TufLineXP 50lb Green

A Couple of Frogs

A Couple of HardBodies

NAGG
30-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Nagg,
A 'new look' Lake Awoonga down beneath the surface has changed my approach to fishing slightly, yet again. A few new lures, 2 new rod/reel combos and a changed mental attitude to the new lake will help keep me in touch with yet another 'chapter' in changing lake dynamics.
Weed and moss buffers on the edges and weed bed barriers out in deep water have changed water flow and wave action, so for the ' now time', in some ways, we have a lake and some barramundi that will behave differently in these circumstances. Some good lures that have done quite well in the past may not do as good and some new fandangle tackle will fill a few gaps.
Cheers,
Johnny
* This is as simple as I can describe it.

Thanks Johnny ....... I'll run it through my Enigma machine with the reels set to "Gladstone" ;D

Cheers

Chris

Peter4
30-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Lots of new/additional stuff.....

Like Whitto have got some Eric magic with a new Egrell S10, new Certate Hyper Custom 3000 spooled with 50lb Castaway braid to 80lb Black Magic leader....

Also added a Minn Kota RT55 for stealth.......needed new deep cycle battery, battery charger etc, etc

A few new barra lures including Nils Master Invincibles for $1.50 and $3 each!! (thanks K-Mart).....and yes, some frogs....

Jeez, no wonder I'm broke!

Regs

Pete

NAGG
30-07-2008, 08:42 AM
It looks like a spin outfit has been added to the kit for some ........ Now why would Mondy fishoes do that ? ...... Hmmm , could it be that some of the backs of bays are going to see some funny looking (soft) plastic thingies launched into them::) ( specially come Sept / Oct) ,,,, I wonder:)

Cheers

Chris

Peter4
30-07-2008, 08:50 AM
It looks like a spin outfit has been added to the kit for some ........ Now why would Mondy fishoes do that ? ...... Hmmm , could it be that some of the backs of bays are going to see some funny looking (soft) plastic thingies launched into them::) ( specially come Sept / Oct) ,,,, I wonder:)

You may be right Chris;D

On the other hand, I've always preferred spin outfits to baitcasters anyway!;)

Pete

Little grey men
30-07-2008, 08:52 AM
I 've got my training wheels on when it comes to barra fishing so I've only just started collecting gear.
Couple of spare spools for the Chronarch...got some 30lb tufline....have to get some 50lb now. Scored a little barra mauler for my birthday. It'll do for a start.
Keeping my eye out for a good size spin stick with a solid reel.
Slowly building a good stock of barra lures....about every tenth visit to the tacklestore I'll grab a barra lure.....but honestly my little boy has a bigger stash of barra lures than I have, thanks to one of his mates !!!. He's got an old cotton banking bag full of them and he won't let me touch them....although he did let me have one of his Squidgy caps.

NAGG
30-07-2008, 09:06 AM
You may be right Chris;D

On the other hand, I've always preferred spin outfits to baitcasters anyway!;)

Pete

I'm bad enough with a baitcaster .......... Give me a spin rod & you're likely to see me 10M up a tree retrieving a lure ( like the US marines ...... I wont leave a trooper behind;D )

Cheers

Chris

NAGG
30-07-2008, 09:10 AM
I 've got my training wheels on when it comes to barra fishing so I've only just started collecting gear.
Couple of spare spools for the Chronarch...got some 30lb tufline....have to get some 50lb now. Scored a little barra mauler for my birthday. It'll do for a start.
Keeping my eye out for a good size spin stick with a solid reel.
Slowly building a good stock of barra lures....about every tenth visit to the tacklestore I'll grab a barra lure.....but honestly my little boy has a bigger stash of barra lures than I have, thanks to one of his mates !!!. He's got an old cotton banking bag full of them and he won't let me touch them....although he did let me have one of his Squidgy caps.

Oh you poor bloke ...... you've only reached the sniffle stage of IBD - By the end of summer I'm sure it will be full blown IBD ..... which is all consuming!

Cheers

Chris

Little grey men
30-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Oh you poor bloke ...... you've only reached the sniffle stage of IBD - By the end of summer I'm sure it will be full blown IBD ..... which is all consuming!

Cheers

Chris

Little worse than that mate....I've also bought a couple of cases of mangoes....still don't know what to do with them though.

NAGG
30-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Little worse than that mate....I've also bought a couple of cases of mangoes....still don't know what to do with them though.

Stringy , Bowen or Kensington Pride .... ?

Little grey men
30-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Remember ? Johnny said stringy......I went out at midnight in my old blue ute and bought them off a farmer who smelled strongly of fish, with treble scarred hands.
He didn't say a word but stared into my eyes with a burning gaze....for some strange reason the words $12.00 a kilo popped into my head...I then got a nose bleed, peed my pants and feinted. I awoke with a strong desire to head up to Monduran and buy some dohnuts ???? what does it mean.......????

Damn this onset of IBD. YOU HAVE A LOT TO ANSWER FOR JAS !!!!

Big_Ren
30-07-2008, 03:14 PM
my little boy has a bigger stash of barra lures than I have, thanks to one of his mates !!!

Now Michael.........this mate of Caleb's wouldn't happen to be a certain JW would it? I heard he has a few lures tucked away here and there;)

Whitto.......if you are at Lake M on Sept 12-14, we (Navi, Vin, Ben, me) will more than likely see you there.

Cheers
Paul

DEANO68
30-07-2008, 04:51 PM
hello chris & mondy fishos,
after all the money i spent on my first trips to mondy last season for 1 fish and some angry losses (but some very helpful knowledge) all ive done is cracked a couple o stiffies and got me a freddo or two..plus some 80lb leader..since then been gettin a kit together so i can afford fuel (xxxx) (that comes under tackle dont it )..and go juice to get there and for the boat..looking forward to the season to come, hope to get a visit early september..work permiting..cheers deano..;)

BR65
30-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Remember ? Johnny said stringy......I went out at midnight in my old blue ute and bought them off a farmer who smelled strongly of fish, with treble scarred hands.
He didn't say a word but stared into my eyes with a burning gaze....for some strange reason the words $12.00 a kilo popped into my head...I then got a nose bleed, peed my pants and feinted. I awoke with a strong desire to head up to Monduran and buy some dohnuts ???? what does it mean.......????

Damn this onset of IBD. YOU HAVE A LOT TO ANSWER FOR JAS !!!!

THAT is funny, cracked me up mate

BR65
30-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Some new soft plastics in extra large size for me mate, just gotta figure out the stinger hook set up, plus a couple of veeeery pretty lookin jap surface walkers, hardware up-graded of course

Tropicaltrout
30-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey Chris

Daiwa Advantage reel, overhead not phased by the spinning reel thing if its on I am sure I will mannage to get a good flick with the baitcaster. new braid 50lb bionic on both reels. 2 new rods pflueger metalist and president as a back up. a couple of shirts ans a pair of 50+ gloves as I seem to always burn on the backs of the hands, and a restock of my favourite lure. so I am ready. come on September!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nath

NAGG
30-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Some new soft plastics in extra large size for me mate, just gotta figure out the stinger hook set up, plus a couple of veeeery pretty lookin jap surface walkers, hardware up-graded of course

MMMM 6" Wildeye swim shads (depthcharge) ........ For the minimal amount of time I used them ...... they certainly drew interest at both Awoonga & Tinaroo (2 big fish lost ..... & 2or3 pricked ) .......... I've certainly loaded up with a few more packets8-)

Chris

NAGG
30-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty well settled on my main tackle - A brace of Zillions & a Steez matched to Loomis rods + a Millerod ...... reels spooled with 50 , 40 & 30lb Nitlon.
Still not convinced about spin gear ....... though a Certate 3000 is there in the bag!- needs a rod though> Might have to try one of those Egrels:P
Most of the new toys ..... will be hardbody lures & plastics ( yes! a frog or 3::) )
Terminal tackle will include 80lb FC as standard & twisted leaders for plastics! .......... Gotta stop those bite offs!

For those hitting the waters in the coming weeks - be safe & hopefully the barra gods are good to you

Cheers

Chris

Obi _ Wan
30-07-2008, 09:58 PM
HeHeHe, Christmas has come early, my son has just arrived back from the States with a big bag of goodies for his old man. :D

Yes, frogs - frogs - toads - toads and a heap of things of all shapes with flapy bits hanging out the back all i many colors and shapes. :o

I just said to him, i don't mind what they are as long as they are different maybe never seen in this country and have bits hanging off them to make a disturbance in the water. 8-)

I must say he excelled in his search, i'm very happy indeed, now for the testing. :)

As there appears to be more and more threadline reels in use, mainly, i think to enable casting lighter plastics a lot further. With this in mind i have placed my Stella 4000 in the kit and am looking at an Egrell S10 but with the fact that i am out of work at the moment they may be out of reach and i may have to use my Berkley Dropshot rod, not all that suitable but it should work to a degree. :-/

And may the force be with me. ;D

Cheers,
John.

NAGG
30-07-2008, 10:07 PM
HeHeHe, Christmas has come early, my son has just arrived back from the States with a big bag of goodies for his old man. :D

Yes, frogs - frogs - toads - toads and a heap of things of all shapes with flapy bits hanging out the back all i many colors and shapes. :o

I just said to him, i don't mind what they are as long as they are different maybe never seen in this country and have bits hanging off them to make a disturbance in the water. 8-)

I must say he excelled in his search, i'm very happy indeed, now for the testing. :)

As there appears to be more and more threadline reels in use, mainly, i think to enable casting lighter plastics a lot further. With this in mind i have placed my Stella 4000 in the kit and am looking at an Egrell S10 but with the fact that i am out of work at the moment they may be out of reach and i may have to use my Berkley Dropshot rod, not all that suitable but it should work to a degree. :-/

And may the force be with me. ;D

Cheers,
John.

So John ...... Where are you going to put these new goodies ....... There was no room left in the fourby from what I saw::)

cheers

Chris

Obi _ Wan
30-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Now come on Chris, You have to be prepared for all things.

If i have to i'll pull out a couple of seats and the offsider can travel in the boat under the towing cover.

With the hard bodies you have to have spares and as you know i carry two of each colour.

I got caught at Faust one year, after about a weeks worth of non stop action on Barra Classics particularly the black and silver model, i run out of the things, i forget just how many fish i got on those and i started with two. Oh yes i had some others in different but only about 6 in total, lost them all.

My offsider, had one black and silver model, only one classic all told, well mate he could not get a touch on the thing, i offered him $20 for it, No he said, i offered him $40 for it,No he said again.

Stuff you i thought, so into Lindsay's and i bought about 12 classics but no black and silvers. Anyway, i caught fish after fish and bloody amazing trip for me, Ole mate only got 4 fish for the trip, i was getting 4 fish each day before he even finished his cup of tea.

The bugger presented me with the black and silver classic the day we left for home, he said he wasn't going to let me have it while we were there as i would have got fish on it when he couldn't. Funny bugger at times, some times sitting out there at night, casting casting then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, i look around and there the bugger is curled up on the floor sleeping.

On other trips i have been going well on a certain lure or set of lures and upon losing then, as you do in Faust, i have not been able to replace them whilst away, so thats why i carry a good range of lures.

With plastics i reckon you have to have a dozen of each as they are not as long lasting as the hard bodies!

So Chris, do you get my drift????

Cheers,
John.

warrior
31-07-2008, 04:54 AM
had a 40 2stroke on my rig changed to a 60 4stroke yammy,new side console , upgraded sounder , resprayed hull ,rod locker change few new placcies and hardies ,rods and reels will be same only new last year and a heap of enthusiasum ,big trev got me goin not long ago and this weekend is the start of something good ;) ;D cheers AL

NAGG
31-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Now come on Chris, You have to be prepared for all things.

If i have to i'll pull out a couple of seats and the offsider can travel in the boat under the towing cover.

With the hard bodies you have to have spares and as you know i carry two of each colour.

I got caught at Faust one year, after about a weeks worth of non stop action on Barra Classics particularly the black and silver model, i run out of the things, i forget just how many fish i got on those and i started with two. Oh yes i had some others in different but only about 6 in total, lost them all.

My offsider, had one black and silver model, only one classic all told, well mate he could not get a touch on the thing, i offered him $20 for it, No he said, i offered him $40 for it,No he said again.

Stuff you i thought, so into Lindsay's and i bought about 12 classics but no black and silvers. Anyway, i caught fish after fish and bloody amazing trip for me, Ole mate only got 4 fish for the trip, i was getting 4 fish each day before he even finished his cup of tea.

The bugger presented me with the black and silver classic the day we left for home, he said he wasn't going to let me have it while we were there as i would have got fish on it when he couldn't. Funny bugger at times, some times sitting out there at night, casting casting then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, i look around and there the bugger is curled up on the floor sleeping.

On other trips i have been going well on a certain lure or set of lures and upon losing then, as you do in Faust, i have not been able to replace them whilst away, so thats why i carry a good range of lures.

With plastics i reckon you have to have a dozen of each as they are not as long lasting as the hard bodies!

So Chris, do you get my drift????

Cheers,
John.

;D ;D ;D Who am I to argue?
As the saying goes ....... "you can never have too much fishing tackle!"

Chris

NAGG
31-07-2008, 07:36 AM
had a 40 2stroke on my rig changed to a 60 4stroke yammy,new side console , upgraded sounder , resprayed hull ,rod locker change few new placcies and hardies ,rods and reels will be same only new last year and a heap of enthusiasum ,big trev got me goin not long ago and this weekend is the start of something good ;) ;D cheers AL

Hey Al ..... Nice work mate & good effort _ I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the Yammi
Enthusiasum ..... I feel , plays a big part in being successful! ........ you know what I mean ........ Fish all day for zip ... & then you nail one on the 1000th cast at the end of the day:) .......
Cheers

Chris

Whitto
31-07-2008, 05:00 PM
No worries Paul I reckon Ill see u before u see me......That is one nice platform8-)......Cheers Whitto

warrior
31-07-2008, 06:47 PM
that 1000 cast thing is so true chris has happened so many times for the little lady and myself with bass and barra ,and you only have to look at the the latest AFC dvd 5 with jas and carl at teemburra ,last 5 minutes 2 barra and it put them in front on day 1 ,never never never give up i say, at monduran this weekend so will test the theory

TinarooTriumph
01-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Not much for me really (like it that way). Few more Raider Magnum's, 2 more 300 Curado's on the way with J.E upgrades. Loaded up on Fins, turfed my last few batches of the previous stuff I was using. Having 2 or 3 outfits in the Boat will definetely improve my fishing 100%, instead of just sticking to the one outfit (though that does definetely have its secret advantages).

NAGG
01-08-2008, 11:35 AM
that 1000 cast thing is so true chris has happened so many times for the little lady and myself with bass and barra ,and you only have to look at the the latest AFC dvd 5 with jas and carl at teemburra ,last 5 minutes 2 barra and it put them in front on day 1 ,never never never give up i say, at monduran this weekend so will test the theory

Best of luck this weekend ........ just dont loose count of your casts! ........ & if you miss one - The count starts again :'(

Cheers

Chris

PS ..... Matt & I came up with the cast counter ...... A pedometer on the casting arm8-)

Roo
06-08-2008, 09:55 AM
PS ..... Matt & I came up with the cast counter ...... A pedometer on the casting arm8-)

does it work.?

nothing new for me since the Queens birthday trip. I have more than enough things to chuck at them. considering the new PB i got last trip came on one of the tackle tray fillers I bought for our first ever trip, I think i should stick to what i've got for now.

NAGG
07-08-2008, 07:13 AM
does it work.?

nothing new for me since the Queens birthday trip. I have more than enough things to chuck at them. considering the new PB i got last trip came on one of the tackle tray fillers I bought for our first ever trip, I think i should stick to what i've got for now.

Its just a concept Roo ........ But as we know it takes approximately 1000 casts before you get a hookup ........ so would it be nice to know when that hookup is about to happen;)

I hear JMs autocaster has a built in counter:P

Chris

Steve B
07-08-2008, 11:49 AM
does it work.?

exactly Roo!!! Same things that have worked before WILL still work and still are.

TonyM
08-08-2008, 07:57 PM
The only new thing I really want to add this season is more time spent chasing the buggers!

As said by Roo and Steve the old tricks will still work, it's mostly a matter of getting your butt there and putting in the time.

I've still got a heap of lures I have never even tried so hopefully I can work my way through a few of them. (plus I haven't even had a chance to break my zillion in yet) :'( Soon to change!

Cheers
Tony

Peter4
08-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I've still got a heap of lures I have never even tried so hopefully I can work my way through a few of them

Me too Tony. At least twenty (yep 20) virgin barra lures in the tacklebox that have yet to touch Monduran water..........

NAGG
10-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Me too Tony. At least twenty (yep 20) virgin barra lures in the tacklebox that have yet to touch Monduran water..........

Pete ....... Now go stand in the corner!
You know the IBD rules!

Rule # 2 ....... Thou shalt not ignore thy lure , rod , reel or Frog

nagg

Obi _ Wan
10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey Chris, Do you reckon i should get a few more lures????????

Not sure i have enough??

You know just to top up my collection??

Cheers,
John.

P.S. Might have to tow a dog trailer behind the boat.

NAGG
10-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey Chris, Do you reckon i should get a few more lures????????

Not sure i have enough??

You know just to top up my collection??

Cheers,
John.

P.S. Might have to tow a dog trailer behind the boat.

John ..... Straight up

You were the inspiration for the IBD Anthem:dankk2:

Either a dog ........ or send them up on a B Double;)

Chris

I GOT CRABS
18-08-2008, 05:17 PM
just bought an egrell Bear B8-6 baitcaster from FOXIES. I cant wait to use it!

NAGG
20-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Santa came early for me today ......... Some new Stiffy twitch baits & divers + a few different storm plastics to tempt those barra over the next few months:P Love the 5" storm shad ....... Jellybeans for Mrs Barra ( me thinks:P )

Chris

DEANO68
21-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Santa came early for me today ......... Some new Stiffy twitch baits & divers + a few different storm plastics to tempt those barra over the next few months:P Love the 5" storm shad ....... Jellybeans for Mrs Barra ( me thinks:P )

Chris
spoke to foxie yesterday , says he has some new stock barra lollies, best to leave ya shoppin till you get to gin gin...;)

NAGG
21-08-2008, 07:51 AM
spoke to foxie yesterday , says he has some new stock barra lollies, best to leave ya shoppin till you get to gin gin...;)

I think I'll be poking my nose into there .......... I'm trying to get Whitey to buy an Egrel bc rod ........ so I can have a play;)

The trouble with buying lures during a trip ..... is that reasonably often they need a tune , hook/ split upgrade etc ....... Having said that , I clearly need a flap or 2:P

Chris