PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga Rumours

vet
29-07-2008, 08:51 PM
I'd just like to thank Johnnie Mitchell for giving away his best spot and what lure to use to catch barra. I went out and tied on a red nilmaster invincible and headed up futter creek to mango smoothie bay. Connected up the autocaster to the 120amp hour battery ready for a long session, started her up and sat down and peeled a mango (you need to bring your own mangoes at this time of year as there aren't any ripe). About 4 hours later, just before sunset, Trev got some interest from a little barra, unfortunately the interest was short lived as she jumped off. About 4 casts later I recieved an inquiry as well, it was more like a thump and then powering off for the mango trees, I put as much hurt on her as I could with 20lb braid and this brought her to the air. Both Trev and I looked at her and said she looks a bit bigger than the others we've been catching lately, since a metre of fish was out of the water and that was only to her anal fin. She jumped all over the place, ran through tonnes of weed as we were only in 4 feet of water and tried to get home to her trees but eventually she succomed. I boga gripped her and got ready to release her but the lure was nowhere to be seen, so she had to come into the boat for surgery. The magnitude of her size only dawned on us when I couldn't pick her up as normally I just comfort lift them in. After a couple of failed attempts to get back to my feet once I had my arm around her, I had to give in and get Trev to stop fishing and give me a hand lifting her in.

Unfortunatley once she was on board, we found the lure stuck right down the back of her throat, right in the area where you cut a fishes throat to bleed it. Blood was pissing out on the deck and this only got worse once I ripped the 2/0 owner trebles out of this region. We still contemplated releasing her but once you tear out someone's pulmonary arteries they don't do to well, so we reluctantly kept her and decided she would be a mount on the wall so that I don't have to kill another one. We knew she was big but it wasn't till we got home that we realized that she was over 130cm and weighed 36kg.

So there are still some big fish left in Awoonga, although there is one less now.
Cheers Scott.

Cammy
29-07-2008, 09:05 PM
What magnificent fish there 130cm !, good going getting her in and sounds asif you did the right thing!

Thats gonna be an awsome mount!

Cam

NAGG
29-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Scott ..... Firstly - Congratulations ! ...... Its a magnificent looking fish.
Sadly ( & I'm pretty sure you are)...... Not all fish survive & you've done the right thing IMO ........ Much better seeing that fish mounted & admired for many years to come ...... than finding it a day later floating in some bay.

Cheers

Chris

the_matrix
29-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Scotty,
As stated in recent discussions, AWESOME fish mate. Hard work see's results and its a classic case here.
That is an impressive capture, and a fish of a lifetime.
Its wicked to see the size of some of these dam barra, Awoonga, Monduran, Tinaroo, we all know Faust and Teemburra also hold some serious kegs.
Only you know how many fish you have released, but it would be heaps so taking a fish esp one that you can mount is something special, and not a bad thing I reckon. A few thousand Boney bream may be more than happy!

We'll never know what Mattys Tinaroo 127 and Stevey B's 121 front end loader known as "homer" would have weighed, but Im guessing that the world record could have been re-written, and to be honest I think its looking very shakey indeed.
Who's next to raise the bar!
Great stuff!!!!!
Cheers
Jas

Benno1
29-07-2008, 09:53 PM
brag mat...what brag mat??? :P
magnificent specimen Vet...well done :D
(Mrs Benno1)

Obi _ Wan
29-07-2008, 10:31 PM
G'Day Scott,
Mate what an amazing fish 8-) it's a fish of a life time, congratulations ;)

Now tell me, any truth in the rumor that you caught it on a floating mango seed with a set of 2/0 owners hanging out the back?? ;D It seems that the 120 amp battery had enough juice in it the power the auto caster every time the seed drifted back to the bank ::) Good stuff.

Anyway, congrats again mate its a bloody ripper of a fish, by the way i have a couple of those mango seeds in my tackle box, like the look of the one i painted silver.

Cheers,
John.

Barraboss
29-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Scott,

Yet again another fine capture. That is an amazing fish, of mega proportions. Even a guy of your size cannot make that girl look small. It's HUGE!!!!

Shame about her fate, but we all know that you are a catch and release fan, and would have no doubt between the two of you, really known that it was the last "red nilsmaster" she was going to swallow.... Will be a pretty impressive mount to say the least.

Thanks for the pics and report

Matt

Nomad62
30-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Scott,
Magnificent fish mate......congratulations......gonna be a hard act to follow!!!

Hope ya got some solid wall studs mate......gonna need them for that horse!!!

Cheers

Nomad

Awoonga
30-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Yes JM Can Scotty and l have some more spots like the Mango tree. Those nilsmasters work fine.....

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
30-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the pic Scott. It even looks mega large against your 11 foot 7 mango tree frame.
Ok, now try Iveragh, near the old national park sign, blue reidys aqua rat lures! You can't use generators to power the batteries for the auto caster up there, so you may have to use some B, S and Tears to get the job done. If you get bored, there are bush lemons up the back and cherry tomatoes to keep you focused.
I hope you land another giant in the weeks ahead.
Cheers,
Johnny

Whitto
30-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Just Magnificant Scott.....That's Top shelf......no wonder u couldn't get to your feet She is plain and simply too heavy.....Great stuff Thanks Whitto

Little grey men
30-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Thats one hell of a fish. You'll have to put some more studs in the wall at home if your going to hang that one up.
Bloody mangoes.....I knew it. And I thought Johnny was sending me on a wild goose chase.
I wonder if bass like bananas ???

Peter4
30-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Great fish, Scott. Shame she died, you could have harnessed her to the boat and had her tow you around Awoonga in a 'natural' stealth mode.....think of the savings on fuel!

Better go and buy yourself a "Truth Mat" as these monsters no longer fit on the old bragmats!

Regs

Pete

Roo
30-07-2008, 11:03 AM
huge fish. As someone has already said, Better hanging on your wall than floating in a bay tomorrow.

Cheers Roo.

Awoonga
30-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the pic Scott. It even looks mega large against your 11 foot 7 mango tree frame.
Ok, now try Iveragh, near the old national park sign, blue reidys aqua rat lures! You can't use generators to power the batteries for the auto caster up there, so you may have to use some B, S and Tears to get the job done. If you get bored, there are bush lemons up the back and cherry tomatoes to keep you focused.
I hope you land another giant in the weeks ahead.
Cheers,
Johnny Dont worry him landing another one Bloke its my turn... Yes yes l know that spot.... Now ......where is that reidys lure...And the good news is ... Scottys working l got his green polly ;D ;D ;D That lure must be around here somewhere....

Dick Pasfield
30-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Yes a very nice fish indeed, congratulations on the catch.:)

warrior
30-07-2008, 05:58 PM
magnificent fish mate those are the fish we all dream of and keep going up there to try and get. the wife and i found a big girl floating on the dam at chrissy she was around 1100mm and not dead but close we swam her for 20 minutes but she died ,better to see it up on the wall than struggle like that one and die a not so nice death

BR65
30-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Told yous those Awoonga fish were bigger;)

Thats a big girl Vet, real big, congrats on a magnificent fish

Thats really raised the bar a couple of notches again, great stuff

cheers
brian

Big_Ren
30-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Hope you got a BIG wall Scotty.....an absolute bohemoth:o Congratulations on such a magnificent fish.....a sad outcome for the big girl, but you did the right thing in the end. Much better off as a mount than in a Sulo bin eh.

Well done again mate. Simply outstanding.

Cheers
Paul

SeekingBarradise
31-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Hi Scotty congratulations mate well done.

When i first saw that huge fish a week or so ago i couldn't see how big it was as the photo was a little dark. But with the clear photo's you have up here mate bloody hell thats a big fish. It will be a conversation starter in your house for decades. Better buy a new lounge chair to seat all the people that will want to check out that beast of a fish.

Well done again mate. All the best on future trips.
Cheers Lyndon & Kel

Steve B
31-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Good on ya Scotty, great fish mate!!!!! It is a horse!!! I saw the photo hanging the photo board at foxies!!I reckon you have plenty more of them big girls to catch this year, and you will get there faster in your new boat!!....well sort of yours anyway!!!!;);D

cheers steve

vet
01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
G'day steve, We do enough stupid things now, so I'm a bit worried about the new boat because we will still do stupid things but faster. I can see myself getting catapulted out over the nose at 100kms/hr when we hit a mud bank. Hope you're around to patch us up. cheers scott.

Awoonga
01-08-2008, 11:26 AM
G'day steve, We do enough stupid things now, so I'm a bit worried about the new boat because we will still do stupid things but faster. I can see myself getting catapulted out over the nose at 100kms/hr when we hit a mud bank. Hope you're around to patch us up. cheers scott. As long as its you getting catapulted;D ;D ;D ...Cant remember doing Stupid things ? Err like coming back from the Boyne arm at 50km + a hour just relying on the GPS :o in the middle of the night,,, no moon..Black as......Or the time we...:-X :-X :-X enuff said ...

wheezer
01-08-2008, 03:05 PM
awesome....hope your wall is reinforced!

vet
01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your positive comments. Winter is almost over and the dams will fill up again with fisherpeople and the big girls will be disturbed and therefore a bit harder to come by, but a few more still will be caught. I look forward to winter barra fishing every year because the bigger fish are easier to come by. September will be special with large numbers of slightly smaller fish to be caught, I'll hopefully see some of you out there.

To LGM, I don't know about bass but barra don't mind bananas. Check out this new prototype lure I have been trying lately. I took this photo to send to a couple of superstitious friends who swear that bananas in a boat are bad luck.
cheers scott.

darylive
02-08-2008, 01:40 PM
BLOODY GREAT MATE :o

Good for you, I am not sure what a bloody auto caster is but are you sure you can take credit if a machine caugh it? ::)

And why wouldn't you keep it under the circumstances.
I am glad to see the support from the crew, that is a real trophy. ;D

I am sure we would all like to see the end result when she is on the wall ;)
with details of who dressed it and what it cost.

Dick Pasfield
02-08-2008, 02:18 PM
To LGM, I don't know about bass but barra don't mind bananas. Check out this new prototype lure I have been trying lately. I took this photo to send to a couple of superstitious friends who swear that bananas in a boat are bad luck.
cheers scott.

bet it would have been twice as big iferun the banana wasn't on board ;D;)

TinarooTriumph
02-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Great fish Scott well done mate! Definetely going to be an eye opener for anyone stepping inside your front door from now on!

Cheers

Theo