PDA

View Full Version : rainbow classic

kitty_cat
29-07-2008, 09:20 AM
With the 675f haines signature in tow we were off to rainbow beach for the annual fishing classic, the events base was the local sports club for weigh in and socializing , the set up was great and everyone I seen say they are coming back next year.

So we arrive Friday and within a couple of hrs boat is unloaded and loaded for fishing and down to the ramp conditions were only ok on Friday and a steady punch out was the call knowing a full week ahead of us to come. the conditions only got better and better so we ended up staying out for 2 nights tiring our best to catch that elusive big red with no big no.s coming aboard we were really were working hard close to 250+ klms traveled and the haines just worked awesome . everything we caught was quality which suited the style of comp fishing , so after the double overnighter we weighed in a snapper which was at the time first on the leader board to end up 3rd or 4th and a sweaty in the lead as well which ended up 2nd overall , watching the weather at the weigh in the call was to refuel restock and back out there for another overnighter (still no sleep on land) again we still could not brain them but quality was coming over the side inc some good snapps so traveling every were again we stumbled on some ground left it then umed and ard before turning back a good k or so past it good call as the reds fired and we pulled 5-7 reds with the big one topping the cake at 15.1kgs cleaned at weigh in 13.6kgs caught by allan the deckie .we managed only one more avro session in some bad conditions for only some good cod for kilos in the freezer.
So again we worked really hard and traveled endless ks with ease in the big boat to get some good results.
Pics to come not on my camera

scrubba01
29-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Sounds like you guys were working pretty hard,;) you have to love the fishing out of Rainbow though and always usually get some good quality. Haven't done the comp there yet but am putting it in the plans for next year, taking a week off and renting a house.

How did your red stand up in the final tally? It is a very nice fish but I know some of the monsters they get out of there.

lethal098
29-07-2008, 01:00 PM
sounds like a few long days to be had out there but sure beats doin anyhting else, cant wait to see the photos, how did the red go overall???
cheers lethal

brisbane
29-07-2008, 04:24 PM
hey guys we were up there but didn't enter...what did the biggest snapper weigh in at?

kitty_cat
29-07-2008, 05:03 PM
couple of pics from the last night.with winning red and snapper

skipalong
29-07-2008, 05:37 PM
cracker of a fish mate top effort

scoota
29-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Big effort there Wayne for definately the gold medal of any comp...

The biggest Red Emperor is the trophy;)

Scoota...

lizard bribie
29-07-2008, 08:53 PM
:) nice work wayne put in the time@reaped the rewards cheers lizard bribie

jtpython
29-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Good on ya guys youse persisited and payed off big time
Congrates boy's
JT

backlash08
29-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Guys,
we had a shocker at the rainbow comp, ventured up on the Friday with 2 cruisecrafts, a 685 and a 625, 4 blokes but no local knowledge as none of us had fished Rainbow in our own boats. Headed out at daybreak on the saturday only to be confronted with heavy fog which held up proceedings. Eventually got to the bar which was flat and out we went, full of expectation. We headed about 40 klms SE and found some reasonable activity on the sounders in about 65M of water with acres of slimies but we couldnt get the fish to chew. Missed some good snapper runs on the float lines but failed to land any quality, about 4pm we headed back with grand plans of heading north on the sunday.
Sunday morning, conditions were great but same result, good shows, heaps of bait and worked the contours as we couldnt find any real structure. Same result for the day, worked hard, did about 150 klm and boated few quailty fish. Monday we went due east, same again...where are we going wrong we kept asking ourselves....weather was getting ordinary and we knew that it would be the last day out so tried all sorts of things...again with limited quality. In the end we went home and watched the rain for the rest of the week. We had a great time, learnt a bit and better prepared for next time, the weather played a part with low baro, northerlies and we didnt fish nights but we did find some good ground, just couldnt get them on the chew.
well done to the winners, the red was a good one

cheers - Craig

aerordauto
31-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Congratulations boys on the reds, it sounds like u did some kms but it pays off in the end.
I will try and get to the rainbow classic next year.
cheers mark.

Ripples
31-07-2008, 08:23 PM
hi kitty cat
Sorry to change the topic from all those nice reds you guys caught (well done)
I am in the preparing for a trip up north and wondered on what hp 4 stroke you have and the fuel used for the 250 kl trip.I have a similar size boat with 340 litres of fuel onboard and am just checking my sums on fuel usage and distances for the trip
If you like you can pm with the details.

Thanks
Ripples

kitty_cat
03-08-2008, 08:08 AM
hey ripples it was a 300hp 4 stroke suzuki using a average off 0.9 - 1 ltr per klm awsome for a massive motor

few pics of reds for u

Wind Dancer
04-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Sounds like a great week Cheers