PDA

View Full Version : Maggi Shoals Townsville-Part 2

scorpionNQ
28-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Well, what a difference 7 days can make. Sunday was a pearler weather wise, so we were at the ramp at 4.30am to avoid the rush-WRONG, bloody boats were 4 deep. Headed out to the same shoal as last week, nearly perfect sea with a slight swell. Arrived before sun up, first boat there, bait and fish spot on this mark, so decided to anchor before other boats turned up. Drifted pillies, berlied. bottom bashed with little result. A few tealeaf trevors, a mack tuna, 2 nannies, and a monster of the deep which I fought for half an hour, then the line parted. There ended up about 9 boats anchored by about 11am in close proximity, but as we were watching, there was the odd trevor os shark being boated. So we up anchored, trolled for a few hours with zero result. Not 1 bloody Spanish to be had!!!! Headed back about 2pm, and as we were getting closer to the back of Maggi, noticed 7-8 boats sitting on a mark out towards the shipping channel. The next 2 hours we had a ball catching doggies and more trevors. A 12ft Tiger was cruising around our berly in glassed out conditions (photo is not that good) With a great day on the water, 8 fish in the esky, we headed back in to the expected wait at the ramp.

pilchardjones
28-07-2008, 12:23 PM
thanks for the report scorpion.
i did not hear too many favourable reports from the weekend. we got a couple of gold spot cod sat night at maggie shoals but that was about it.
steve

Fishin_Dan
28-07-2008, 01:26 PM
We were out there Sunday morning in Matt Muller's boat as well. We ended up boating 4 Spanish. 1 to Matt which was a nice legal sized spaniard on a livey, and 3 to me on slugs which were just unders. We all forgot a measurer, so were measuring them on my esky which has inches along the top. Converting back to cm we took the safe route... Re-calculated it when i got home, and 2 of my spaniards could have been kept (just) :(

We also got 1 legal cod, but that was about it. Lots of bait fish, and nothin else. Hooked a few more mackies on the slugs which spat the hooks, or didn'thook up properly...

lethal098
28-07-2008, 01:27 PM
looks like great conditions and a least you came home with a feed, well done

scorpionNQ
28-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Steve,
That makes me feel better. I will fish the shoals at night in the next coming months. i prefer night fishing.

Fishing Dan
Good to hear you caught some. Bad luck about the tape measure. Where abouts did you fish?

Leathal
Thanks mate, was targeting Spanish, but can't complain, still got a good feed, and it was a beaut day.

Cheers
Lee

Benno1
28-07-2008, 02:34 PM
is that the tigers fins just breaking the surface of the water in the mid left of your 2nd pic Scorpian???
least you guys got a feed...(prolly why the tiger was lurking about :P )
nice one :D
(Mrs Benno1)

leezor
28-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi Lee, we fished Maggie shoals for a while too with no luck, luckily we started off over near the Cape for a Spaniard of around 15kgs and a Spottie.

Cheers,

Lee

rhycebullimore
28-07-2008, 04:39 PM
hey we shot out sat night to back of maggie (spot X) got heaps of live yellow tail beofr we went. Got here on dark got some live squid straight away, on these live baits we normally get some quality red fish up around the 10kg mark...nothing, 2 gold spot cod one around 35 kg, quick pic then release and one around 15 kg, enough for a feed. very poor

rhyce

upstart
28-07-2008, 05:25 PM
We went over to Palm on SAturday night but hardly fished...too cold (soft I know). We then trolled around Albino rock early Sunday morning for no result along with half a dozen other boats. So then we bottom fished a nearby spot and caught a few trout and lippers. Seemed to be a very quiet day fishing judging by the VHF chatter. Beautiful conditions though.

Fisher4life
28-07-2008, 05:33 PM
From what i'v heard the fish were very hit and miss this past weekend...

Lee, that's a very solid looking spanish, did you guys get him on the troll???

Cheers
Josh

ronnien
28-07-2008, 05:37 PM
hi boys,

i stayed home, my fishing mate backed out at the last minute>:(

ron..

leezor
28-07-2008, 05:57 PM
From what i'v heard the fish were very hit and miss this past weekend...

Lee, that's a very solid looking spanish, did you guys get him on the troll???

Cheers
Josh

Yeah mate, got him on a trusty Laser Pro whick looks like it has been left in the middle of the road for a month, still does the job though :)

scorpionNQ
29-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Mrs Benno,
That is the Tiger allright, we could see it clear as a bell, but the photo didn't get past the reflection of the surface.

Lee,
Nice fish mate, a good call going to the cape first. A large shark last weekend ate my favorite Halco blue pillie, I was lucky to get it back, and it looks like your laser pro does. Put it out for a troll Sunday morning and it kept coming to the surface like it had tangled a treble, on closer inspection it had water in it and the bib was loose. I will try and fix it, but don't have much hope. It has been well used so I can't complain.

Rhyce and Upstart,
Thanks for your reports boys, I am feeling so much better, as it seems slow all round.

Ron,
You missed some excellent weather, I was hoping you were going to report about all the doggies around west point.......maybe next time.

It's good to get an honest feedback from fellow Ausfishers. I look forward to see more Townsville reports come in.

Cheers,
Lee

HOOP
30-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Keep the reports coming ,you guys are getting me very excited will be at Maggie on the 11th August for a week and hope to score one of your spaniards while iam there..........Jas...