PDA

View Full Version : Tagged Fish..

jackextracter
28-07-2008, 11:32 AM
In the last 2 months i have caught 2 pre tagged fish one was a flathead and one was a snapper both fish were tagged only 2-4 months before i recaught them the flathead had growen 3cm in 3 months and the snapper had got 2cm bigger in 4months this shows they have good survival rates after being caught and released has anybody else on here caught tagged fish and found out growth rates on them and movements?

the gecko
28-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I caught an estuary cod that had grown about 5cm in 12 mths. It had not moved from its last location at all.

bushbeachboy
28-07-2008, 03:05 PM
How did you find out the figures? Is there a phone number you can ring?
Cheers
BBB

rhycebullimore
28-07-2008, 04:32 PM
hey, im the scretary of the twin cities fish stocking society (Townsville). The following site is where we obtain all our information, tags equipment and the people that take our tag information and post the returns, i thought this might be of use.

Rhcye

Luc
28-07-2008, 05:57 PM
This link will give you all the info on tagging including reporting a tagged fish.

http://www.info-fish.net/

Tags have a phone number you can ring to report & give the details of the tagged fish - lenght, where & when caught, kept or released.

Luc

ffejsmada
28-07-2008, 08:33 PM
I actually caught a Queensland Groper that had been tagged at Paradise Point and It was caught iat the same location a few months after. Don't think it had grown all that much, can'tremember.

I've also had 3 trevally that I caught and tagged in the GC seaway years back that were caught months after and they had grown considerably. They also were recaught in the Seaway.

It's understandable that the Groper was caught in the same proximity, but it was unusual for the trevally to be caught in the same area I thought.

roz
28-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I've managed to catch one tagged Australian Bass, I cut off the tag after taking measurements, then released the fish. Unfortunately no body got back to me.

I've tagged heaps of pelagic fish through A.N.S.A, but not for some time (must get back into it). I have no idea if any of my fish have been recaptured.

I also have no idea of the policy of the Marine Institute, or whom ever governs the gathered information. There are contact details on the tags, but I've heard the shed rate could be as high as 60%, don't know how they can arrive at the figure, but it's all in a good cause IMO.

roz

nuggstar
29-07-2008, 01:01 AM
iv caught 3 taged fish in my time. one was a 81cm barra that helped me win a comp at the barra park in bli bli. it had grown 22 cm befor i got it. a nother was a cod in noosa that was taged 3 days befor i got it, in the same location i got it and its still there now. the last was a bream i got 3 weeks after it was taged in noosa waters and it was taged by the same feller that taged my cod.

samson
29-07-2008, 09:09 AM
There's a small area of reef off double island that a local charter tags fish on and i've recaught over the years they are mostly red emperor,pearlys and snapper i use to take details and return them for about the first fifty or so fish but after that just didn't bother as i noticed they had minimal grouth rate in ayear or two and not long after reds,pearlys and snapper sizes increased i think it gave fisheries more amunition to increase restrictions.
Since then i have caught probably in excess of 500 fish off this location and turfed the tags or fish back not worth the hassle apart for this location i have caught lots of taged barra in lake awoonga and a trevally at offshore tweed that was tagged in the nerang river a few mac tuna and a sailfish at tweed that was tagged at a tounament off the seaway thee days earlier and a yellow fin or two.

Fuscus
29-07-2008, 11:42 AM
>:( >:( >:( Samson,

As a keen fish tagger I am a bit put off by your attitude to catching tagged fish. A lot of very useful information has been gleaned by the tagging and recapture (reported) of common species such as bream, flathead and many reef species. They may not move for a while but often take off as they grow larger.
PLEASE NEVER TAKE A TAG OUT OF A TAGGED FISH AND THROW IT BACK!!!

Fuscus

mattooty
29-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Fuscus, As a keen fisher, i think we all have our best interests at heart. There have been to many times where rec fisherman have been taken for a fool as we have tagged fish, reported on certains area's and tried to help studies in any way possible only to be kicked out of the spots we are trying to help preserve.
If the ramifications for helping local studies weren't as high as risking losing our spot x's then i'm sure a large majority of fishers would be more inclined to report and help out.
I know there are a number of studies which are being commenced that are beneficial to the recreational fishing community, but those studies are largely outweighed by the those which are adversely affecting us.

samson
29-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Fuscus their is no problem with removing tags and returning fish if you report them but you misinterpreted what i was saying if i catch a tagged fish now which in one spot i can excess of 20 a trip sometimes all juvinial rubbish most of the time i return to water with tags but i definately don't take any details anymore as i have a pile of certificates already which proves jack shit other than they lived while some idiot put a bit of plastic in it.

Nico.d.R
29-07-2008, 07:08 PM
i sort of agree with fuscus , why take the tag out ? fair enough if you carnt be bother to ring in the details or if you keep the fish but why take the tag out and let the fish go ?

cheers nico

samson
30-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Nico most times pens aren't a normal item on boats and the only option is to take a length and the tag and tell the authorities, which gives them all the imformation they want that way you only have to remember the length but hey i've done more than my share of reporting this crap if people want to keep tagging every crappy fish that comes over the side thats not my problem.

supertinny
31-07-2008, 10:19 AM
I dont have a pen in the boat either. I put the info into my mobile, takes about 30 secs. Not that hard.

black_sheep
31-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Samson, you missing the bigger picture mate. Tagging (or recapturing tagged fish)is not a bragging right for catching big fish - it's a research program for studying growth rates, migration, survival, breeding etc on most species to ensure we understand and implement the best practise to ensure continued survival and sustainability of our fishery.

No one forces you to provide capture details and it's purely for those who WANT to participate in the program. How do you think we gather and gain these sort of statistics about the fishery.

As Fuscus mentioned, do not remove the tags - besides never being able to gather data from that fish again, you can cause further damage where the tag has healed over which can lead to infection.

If you have caught that many tagged fish mate, you think a pen and paper would be a standard on your boat by now!! If it helps, I'll send you some if you can't seem to find someone that stocks them - they called 'news agencies'!

In your case, ignorance is no excuse - seeing you know so much about the topic and what a waste of time it is.

Keen ausfisher and Suntag member.

the gecko
31-07-2008, 02:27 PM
I can see both sides of this. My first reaction, was anger about removing tags, but.... if the info is being used against us to close down access to fishing, then thats not good either.

What evidence is there that tagging is actually being used against us? Can anyone tell me more....

jackextracter
31-07-2008, 04:07 PM
I would be happy if they used the info against us by putiing bigger size limits and a smaller bag and banning fishing in spots if thats what your referring to gecko cause in the end they do it for a reason and its only going to make fishing better i release 95% of my fish so its not a worry to me.

stickbender
31-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I have found the fish that have tags in them taste better. I have caught a number of barra with tags in them over the years. This is what I tell the members of the local tagging club

black_sheep
31-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I have found the fish that have tags in them taste better. I have caught a number of barra with tags in them over the years. This is what I tell the members of the local tagging club

No that's funny;D .

Gecko - definitely not mate. Fisheries (DPIF) who determine size and bag limits as well as green zones are totally separate to Suntag (Qld tagging assoc). Fisheries use a number of methods to gather data/stats on our fishery. Tagging is just one method.

As JE has mentioned, the decisions are not made 'against' anglers, they are to ensure we have a sustainable fishery. I for one can remember 'the good ol days'!!! Unfortunately, due to a lack of regulations, those days are long gone. We need to constantly review and assess our fishery and if so, make changes to ensure that you, me, your kids, your grand kids can enjoy the experience for years to come.

It's in the best interest of all Australians and Australia to maintain this valuable and irreplaceable resource.

That's my say and 'opinion' on this matter ;) .

samson
31-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Black sheep if i choose to take a tag out of a fish i catch its no business of yours and the only damage i see from tags is from the people putting them in causing a big black infection in the fillet but even if i have a pen on board which i do for logbook issues it's not worth the effort its easier to ignore the thing put it on ice or release it, if you don't like that stiff or even better just pull that pencil out of your ass and write down all the details you like.

the gecko
01-08-2008, 06:53 AM
HI guys. I dont have a problem with size and bag limit reviews, in fact I support them, and I also think they dont go far enough.

I have a problem with green zones being judged by politicians who give little thought to scientific research, and more thought to payback for those who helped vote them in.

I will continue to report tags and release the fish because I support research, and any info is good info.

cheers
Andrew

bundylundy
01-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I believe returning tagged fish information is going to help when Fisheries make decisions in the future. The more information that is available, then maybe right decisions can be made instead of the adhoc results we have had in the past. Changes to fisheries legislation should be based on sound scientific research and I hope that by my tagging fish and reporting any tagged fish I catch can help in some small way to this reasearch. Sitting back and putting your head in the sand just isn't going to help.

Jeff.

bennykenny
01-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Anyway back to the topic i once tagged a blue shark off greenwell point southern NSW and it was recaptured 3 months later 120km NorthEast of Fiji thats a long way to swim in 3 months

NAGG
01-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Nico most times pens aren't a normal item on boats and the only option is to take a length and the tag and tell the authorities, which gives them all the imformation they want that way you only have to remember the length but hey i've done more than my share of reporting this crap if people want to keep tagging every crappy fish that comes over the side thats not my problem.

Pens might not be ( I carry one) ..... but mobile phones are usually carried ....... Simply use the scratch pad:scholar:

why would anyone remove the tag ( unless the fish was kept) ...... Its a no brainer ? ..::)

Every fishoe should go to that little bit of effort (2 mins) to record the tag number , measurement ..... & GPS co-ordinates if available! ...... Then call it through! Someone else has gone to the effort to tag ( record) that fish & the data may just be important ! ........

On the tagged fish front ....... I've managed 1 barra ( Awoonga) in 25 years of serious fishing ........ so I haven't exactly lost too much fishing time recording & reporting details ::)

Nagg

NAGG
01-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I believe returning tagged fish information is going to help when Fisheries make decisions in the future. The more information that is available, then maybe right decisions can be made instead of the adhoc results we have had in the past. Changes to fisheries legislation should be based on sound scientific research and I hope that by my tagging fish and reporting any tagged fish I catch can help in some small way to this reasearch. Sitting back and putting your head in the sand just isn't going to help.

Jeff.

Just on that very point ....... The Tag return information was used down in NSW to help kill off Floating Fish traps ( Kingie Killers) - Now that has gotta be good!

Nagg

black_sheep
01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Samson, when you post on Ausfish, it's becomes eveyones business but what you do IS your business mate - you right. I hope and am fairly confident, you are a minority, so who cares.

You must do a bloody lot of fishing though - I've tagged about 60 barra in Awoonga and probably over 100 in Monduran and have not had a single recapture. In fact, out of the 1000+ fish I have tagged, I've only had about 25 returns of which most have been Flathead from the same location.

For you to catch 20 a trip (easily) and heaps at Awoonga, you must be a tag magnet.

Good luck to ya mate!

Still don't understand why it bothers you so much that other are doing it. As mentioned, you are not forced to participate.

As Nagg said - pulling tags out is a 'no brainer' unless you just like pulling things!

samson
01-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Black sheep i was advised by some authorities years ago that if it wasn't possible to take details to remove the tag but as i've said i've lucky to have caught half a dozen salt water tagged fish everywhere bar one spot that reef runner tags fish on and they are there every trip apart from that the awoonga fish were not tagged by amatures but by the ranges when the fish were stocked and netted later and were very tiny and barely noticeable.
As far as pullng things it all depends who's doing the pulling.

NAGG
01-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I cant imagine how you cannot get the tag details without removing the tag ...... the number is half way up the tag ...... just wipe it clean & presto!
That is unless there are other types of tags :-/ ( i know they have ones which get scanned ....)

Nagg

eotbmg
02-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Samson,
Your attitude to tagged fish is pretty disappointing, after we take so much care and time to tag fish and relay the info back to the authorities, so we ALL can have a great fishery, fresh and salt.
Must be tough to write a few numbers down!
Ben

Didley
02-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I've got to say its refreshing to see the overwhelming theme of this thread, after the reaction to green zones, I thought ausfish was full of self-interested cowboys, good on ya lads. I say bring in a one fish bag limit for Jacks. Its funny how it seams the guys that specifically target these fish are the ones that want them protected and those that get them as by-catch or don’t catch them at all want them on the dinner plate.

Cheers Dids

jackextracter
02-08-2008, 02:40 PM
I've got to say its refreshing to see the overwhelming theme of this thread, after the reaction to green zones, I thought ausfish was full of self-interested cowboys, good on ya lads. I say bring in a one fish bag limit for Jacks. Its funny how it seams the guys that specifically target these fish are the ones that want them protected and those that get them as by-catch or don’t catch them at all want them on the dinner plate.

Cheers DidsIt would be great to see a 1 max bag limit for jacks and a max size limit also these fish are a sort after fish these days and with the tackle we use these days i can see there numbers going down, also they need a size limit in nsw im pretty sure they still dont have one down there.>:( >:(

eotbmg
02-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Its a bit of a worry about the jack situation, is it a sustainable fishery? Or are we giving them a hiding??? Who knows, i am the first one to take a fish for a feed [ mostly offshore ] but feel a smidgen guilty about taking jack. I haven't killed one yet, and dont have a problem with those who do take them for a feed, as long as they stay within the guidelines and regulations. Same as the marlin situation, they are so hard to catch that its hard to fathom killing them. Just my opinion, neither right nor wrong, just my opinion!!!
Ben

black_sheep
04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Black sheep i was advised by some authorities years ago that if it wasn't possible to take details to remove the tag but as i've said i've lucky to have caught half a dozen salt water tagged fish everywhere bar one spot that reef runner tags fish on and they are there every trip apart from that the awoonga fish were not tagged by amatures but by the ranges when the fish were stocked and netted later and were very tiny and barely noticeable.
As far as pullng things it all depends who's doing the pulling.

Samson,

I'd like to know which 'authorities' told you that! They are misinformed. Obviously, if you keeping the fish that's fine but as NAgg mentioned, if the tag is a bit dirty, you can usually rub or scrap the crap off with you finger.

Anyway mate - each to their own. I can't stop that.

BTW - think you meant Baitrunner (run by Tony Stewart) - top bloke and been out with him a few times. He does a great service by tagging all reds, snapper and pearlies that are throw backs.

Thanks to all others who have shared 'their' opinions.

Pull more fish, NOT tags!

2manylures
04-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Samson,

I'd like to know which 'authorities' told you that! They are misinformed.

No not ,misinformed. It was the protocol many yrs ago.

If you caught a tagged fish and had no material to write down the info it was asked of anglers to pull & send the tags in.

This procedure was when tagging was in it's infancy in many areas.

Dunks
11-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I managed to land a tagged bass at Wivenhoe. I rang the number and the lady told me the details

Date of tagging - 25/04/97
Length was 25cm now 50cm (fork)
Originally tagged in Somerset

Very exciting!!!!!!

The bass had been on the run 4092 days without being recaptured (unless someone was too lazy to bother reporting it). Not a bad streak.

I didn't have a pen either as I was in my yak so I just texted the number to a mate, simple.

NAGG
11-08-2008, 07:46 PM
I managed to land a tagged bass at Wivenhoe. I rang the number and the lady told me the details

Date of tagging - 25/04/97
Length was 25cm now 50cm (fork)
Originally tagged in Somerset

Very exciting!!!!!!

The bass had been on the run 4092 days without being recaptured (unless someone was too lazy to bother reporting it). Not a bad streak.

I didn't have a pen either as I was in my yak so I just texted the number to a mate, simple.

Now there you go .......... What an awesome example!
over 11 years on the run ............ Obviously a wily old fish

How was the condition of the tag ???

:dankk2: Well done & thanks for sharing that story ....... very cool

Nagg

Viny
16-08-2008, 08:17 PM
If everyone did a share of tagging and reported tags then there might be enough data to draw some conclusions.

And in regard to the tag data being used to shut down your favourite spots.... thats not the aim its to make sure there are still fish in the sea for your grandkids to catch fish like you did.

Sometimes the government goes to fsr with closures but the information that is trying to be collected from tags is so that the right decisions can be made for our fish stocks.

Pridey
08-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Catching a fish for me is rather exciting. I love thinking about how it was done, all the variables etc. So I can replicate it later. The best thing about reporting a tagged fish for me is getting no nonsense info on the fish. You cant argue with those sorts of facts. Even on a totally selfish level you still get something out of it. Plus, its a 1800 number !