PDA

View Full Version : is fishing sport ?

bobbyb
27-07-2008, 01:06 PM
why do we have to put up with endless hours footy, car racing,etc on TV on the week end and if we are lucky enough to see et or river to reef you only get to see ten minutes of actual fishing anyway.>:( shats me.......

Scott nthQld
27-07-2008, 01:19 PM
because of the lack of viewers compared to the footy, etc, the sponsors demand they get their money's worth. If i had the dosh, or if someone else did I wouldn't mind seeing a show with no sponsors that would give a relatively unbiased review of tackle and everytime a fish was caught didn't go into a 5 minute speil on how good this or that brand of lure/rod/reel is, and how you couldn't do it on anything else.

banshee
27-07-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm a prety keen angler,give me a choice between the footy (NRL) and a fishing show and I'll pick the footy every time,likewise I'd rather watch the V8's than some clown with an oversized ego haming it up for the cameras.

Dick Pasfield
27-07-2008, 01:33 PM
My fishing vs sport weekend -

Watched Grant Denyer will race 2 over lunch

3.5 hours on the lake fishing yesterday arvo live and no commercials

Watched the Union this morning taped from last night, about a hour and a half.

Will watch the first half of the league this arvo from 2.00 to 3.00pm (WA time) and record the rest if it looks interesting.

Another 3.5 hours on the lake fishing this arvo and watch the rest of the footy after.

Sounds like a good mix to me ;)

Nic
27-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Aside from the tournament circuit, fishing is really more of a past-time than a sport. The large viewing base you get with sports just isn't there. If you watch another past-time/lifestyle show like the Garden Gurus, it's exactly the same as your typical fishing show – lots of product placement and adverts to try to scrape up enough $$ to pay for production. Bit of a shame that that's what they have to resort to, but it's a fact of life I guess!

nigelr
27-07-2008, 02:41 PM
If you are into competition fishing, I would assume it is a sport, or a profession for that matter.
For me, just plain fun, I don't look at it as a sport personally.
Cheers.

iricangi
27-07-2008, 02:57 PM
It's a lifestyle! to blow all your money on

Jeremy87
27-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Plenty of fishing magazines, personally i'd rather read about fishing than watch it on tv (i've also noticed in alot of the tv segments on fishing they don't catch much). Actually to be perfectly honest i'd much rather just fish. As for fishing being a sport well it depends really. If your idea of fishing is chugging down the river, anchoring up and simultaneously cracking a tinnie and plonking a bait then no it's not a sport. Chasing big pelagics seems pretty sporty similarly forms of luring that require casting skill. I do a lot of skinny water fishing where I’ll hike or canoe many kilometres a day, which I consider to be pretty sporty.

TimiBoy
27-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Of course it is, but some types of fishing are harder work than others. I know that if I didn't stay reasonably fit, I wouldn't handle a big day 15 k's offshore. It's bloody hard work!

I gave up cricket to focus on fishing, and I'm fitter now than I was then!

Cheers,

Tim

Reel Nauti
27-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Definately sport, and if it's not, what would that make lawn bowls?

Dave

BREEZE470
27-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I absolutely HATE football of any kind and whilst I don't mind motor racing but would prefer to watch a fishing show if I had the choice....

Scott nthQld
27-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Definately sport, and if it's not, what would that make lawn bowls?

Dave

Or bloody Poker for that matter. How the hell that was labelled as a sport I'll never know. It must be thirsty work though, a night of poker could see me downing a carton.

Tropicaltrout
27-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Nope general fishing is not a sport nor is it work far from it there,s no pay nor competition.

To me it's a life style, passion, obsession, and if I had to choose between a et, hook line and sinker, ifish etc show and a grand final/bathurst or anything I would much rather the fishing show.

I live for my family and strive to give a part of my passion to them, and being out in the bush, camping and fishin is a great way to spend time and worth far more to me then any sporting contract.

I guess one day my kids will play footy as I did but they as I will always want to go for a fish with dad.

Cheers Nath

RAT-KING
27-07-2008, 07:34 PM
I love all sport doesn't matter if its golf boxing racing cricket footy and of course fishing!
Cheers Simon

bobbyb
27-07-2008, 08:16 PM
thanks for your thoughts guys it,s all good.........

ifishcq1
27-07-2008, 08:42 PM
What do you call it when you play a fish, sport
you can play golf for fun, passion, pastime, obsession, and it is still a sport

the reason people do sport is the same reasons mentioned for fishing in all the posts above.

if synchronized swimming and figure skating can be a sport then fishing wins hands down

Cheers

SL

2manylures
27-07-2008, 08:49 PM
why do we have to put up with endless hours footy, car racing,etc on TV on the week end and if we are lucky enough to see et or river to reef you only get to see ten minutes of actual fishing anyway.>:( shats me.......

;) ;D Ever heard of Foxtel or Austar? Yes a little more expensive than whinging but at least ya won't get the "shats".;) ;D

Ausfish
28-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Fishing is not a sport. It is a recreational pastime.

If it was a sport the government would have to fund it and provide grants, etc. So they officially declared it a recreational pastime.

Reel Nauti
28-07-2008, 11:17 PM
I thought there was access to some community funding at times to conduct kids workshops, fun days etc?

Could be wrong though.

Dave

bushbeachboy
30-07-2008, 06:36 AM
If your idea of fishing is chugging down the river, anchoring up and simultaneously cracking a tinnie and plonking a bait then no it's not a sport.

Dammit, does that mean I'm not a sportsman?:P

aussiebasser
30-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Sport (noun)

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2.a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors. 3.diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime. 4.jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously. 5.mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him. 6.an object of derision; laughingstock. 7.something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything. 8.something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc. 9.a sportsman. 10.Informal. a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well. 11.Informal. a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler. 12.Informal. a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant. 13.Biology. an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation. 14.Obsolete. amorous dalliance. –adjective 15.of, pertaining to, or used in sports or a particular sport. 16.suitable for outdoor or informal wear: sport clothes. –verb (used without object) 17.to amuse oneself with some pleasant pastime or recreation. 18.to play, frolic, or gambol, as a child or an animal. 19.to engage in some open-air or athletic pastime or sport. 20.to trifle or treat lightly: to sport with another's emotions. 21.to mock, scoff, or tease: to sport at suburban life. 22.Botany. to mutate. –verb (used with object) 23.to pass (time) in amusement or sport. 24.to spend or squander lightly or recklessly (often fol. by away). 25.Informal. to wear, display, carry, etc., esp. with ostentation; show off: to sport a new mink coat. 26.Archaic. to amuse (esp. oneself). —Idiom 27.sport one's oak. oak (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oak) (def. 5)

Reel Nauti
30-07-2008, 02:39 PM
and now we know for sure. Thanks Aussie.

Dave

Matheson
30-07-2008, 05:53 PM
I hope it is a sport as it is probably the only one I do. After getting up at 4:30 in the morning to go out for 6 to 8 hours in a one and a half, two metre swell you feel like you have played a sport. I believe it is just as good for you as a two to three hour walk as you are constantly rocking about and hopefully working the arms pumping up fish

Matho

oldboot
30-07-2008, 10:24 PM
It most certainly isn't a sport..................its far more important than that.;D

How often do you see someone eat a cricket ball, or catch a foot ball then throw it back because it was too small.

cheers

cuzzamundi
31-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Most sports to me are absolutely boring to watch, and are far too money laden. I'll watch UFC or Thai boxing anytime though - people who really do earn whatever money they make.
As for fishing...sport is WAY too trivial a word to ascribe to it - I'd say more like something I can't live without.

cuzza

moater
01-08-2008, 12:02 AM
More a connection with nature and actively being part of same,without getting all airy-fairy.

To call our connection a mere sport is to downgrade our very existence in my opinion.

Darren

preso
02-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Of course fishing is a sport. I raise a sweat ever time I ask for a leave pass;D .

danny412
02-08-2008, 11:24 PM
If it cant kill you then its just a game!

CHAPPY
08-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Sport as a definition includes competing with or against others within a set of rules.
So, the way I see it is if you and your mates go fishing thats recreation.

If you enter a fishing contest, thats sport.

Chappy

spears
08-08-2008, 10:03 AM
If you were to ask 5 million people who fish in australia and 90% would say it’s a leisure activity.

Gagga08
08-08-2008, 10:24 AM
In my opinion fishing is not sport. Sports require high levels of physical activity and require the 'player' to train to become the best they can. Fishing does have the training aspect but not the high levels of physical activity. Fishing is a past time, a hobby. I do believe that there are plenty of so called 'sports' out there that are in the same boat as fishing, ie lawn bowls (definately not a sport).

Hot_Snappa
08-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Well maybe if its a sport, we should be watching smog fishing in Beijing over the next 2 weeks!:)

Nic
08-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Maybe this poll's 'Neither' category means Gulp? ;)

TLewis
08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I agree, what I would like to see is unbiased instructional shows. I recently borrowed one by Mad Dod Royter called Berkely Plastics or something. OK it was an hour or so of Berkely SP promo but in between were some really good tips etc.

I don't object to shows doing promo's for gear, I just want to see instructional stuff instead of ego stuff.

onerabbit
08-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Anyone who thinks fishing is not a sport can come with me to the shelf one day,

shelf fishing has all the requirements of "sport",

exertion, endurance, pitting yourself against another entity, trying to win.

If you can hold a 24kg game stick bent in half for at least 20 minutes you are half way there, then there's the winding action with the other hand that CANNOT stop
or you do the fish,

a bit like trying to wind a bucket full of rocks up the side of a 20 storey building,

but it's great fun all the same.

Muzz