PDA

View Full Version : Difference in upsizing

kind_cir
26-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Looking at cuddy cab boats at the moment and not sure what size to get. I could go a 4.7-5m with a 70-90hp or upsize to 5.2.-5.3m with a 115-135hp. How much more fuel would the bigger boat and motor combo chew, over the smaller ? Also would the tow car chew a noticable amount more fuel ?
I can tow 1500kg so would the bigger boat in glass be too heavy or not ?

wags on the water
26-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Not sure on the glass boat, but to give you some idea, a 5.2m Aluminium cuddy cab with a 100hp 4str is 1300kg.

Wags

Angla
26-07-2008, 07:18 PM
i would think a 5.2metre F/G half cab or cuddy would be less than 1500kg. I would not put more than a 115 injected 2 stroke on it. I have a 575 Outsider at the moment and I love the 135 Optimax which pushes me to 37 odd knotts in glass conditions and returns a pretty constant 1 nm to the litre (about 1.8km to the litre).
I did have a Coxcraft Rumrunner 5.2m Half cab with a 115 Evinrude carby 2 stroke and used to push it to 38 knotts in glass conditions but she liked to drink the fuel when being pushed hard. They are a great allround boat but roll quite alot when sitting in choppy conditions.
My $0.02

Chris

Getout
27-07-2008, 11:41 AM
My old 5m quintrex CC with a carby 2 stroke 90 used 1.5 times the amt of fuel my 175 Di 2 stroke uses on a 6.2m glass 1/2 cab.
Trouble is, I now travel much further.

Roughasguts
27-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Mate don't buy a boat if your worried about using fuel Cause you waste even more by not using it.

The fuel goes stale after a while just sitting in your tank and thats bad for the engine. And that's where the other costly thing about boats come in repairs, service costs but engine replacement costs you don't wan't to go .......Ouch!!!!!

So fuel basically is the cheapest part of owning a boat, mine would cost me $125.00 a week just by having the money invested in a boat and associated costs Reg, insurance, Etc.

When I am fully utilising my boat in summer I would be lucky to go through 50 bucks in fuel, but booze, food, bait, adds up as well.

All in all though it's cheaper than going to the movies and having a meal out.
So buy a boat and don't worry about the fuel costs, just enjoy them.

goldfish
27-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Mate don't buy a boat if your worried about using fuel Cause you waste even more by not using it.

The fuel goes stale after a while just sitting in your tank and thats bad for the engine. And that's where the other costly thing about boats come in repairs, service costs but engine replacement costs you don't wan't to go .......Ouch!!!!!

So fuel basically is the cheapest part of owning a boat, mine would cost me $125.00 a week just by having the money invested in a boat and associated costs Reg, insurance, Etc.

When I am fully utilising my boat in summer I would be lucky to go through 50 bucks in fuel, but booze, food, bait, adds up as well.

All in all though it's cheaper than going to the movies and having a meal out.
So buy a boat and don't worry about the fuel costs, just enjoy them.

This is the best advice I think I've heard in a long time. If you want a boat first figger out what you want it for. Then figger out if you can afford it (boat cost, fuel, repairs, insurance ect the list goes on & on) if not refigger or wait. there is nothing worse than haveing a boat sitting & not being used due to lack of money for fuel. you get dissapointed & the boat falls into dissrepair from not being used.

The difference between the 2 boats you mention might only be $20 or so per trip if your budget is that tight rethink the whole thing.. or just go bigger after all size does matter. (joking)