PDA

View Full Version : The Age Old Question

BtotheM
26-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi,

This has prob been done before, but with lures and techniques to fish them,
Contently change and with the introduction of new sp's, hb's and blades ect. How many people still fish bait and how many fish lures?

(if you fish over 50 % with bait, choose bait. If you fish over 50 % with lures choose lures and if fish 50 / 50 bait and lures choose both. If you dont fish neither chose neither - just in case)

Note - lures can be of any type

BtotheM
26-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm a lure fisho though and though, (i've had my new boat for two months now, fished every week and not one piece of bait has been in it)

I fish for bream (majority) and snapper (when i get a chance inshore on a smooth day/ or in the bay)

MeePee_99
26-07-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm a bream lure fisho too, i cant use bait anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark-P
26-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I would say 70% ( Lure ) & 30% ( Bait ) i make sure its fresh not
frozen..... Meaning caught myself if possible !!

Mark

Ozie_3
26-07-2008, 10:25 AM
wonder what using neither would result in ????
although i saw malcolm douglas recon the gt's were biting on bare hooks up in torres strait...

mik01
26-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I voted bait.
have bought a heap of sp's, jigheads etc and never had a hookup or even a decent bite.
i dunno what you guys are doing different to me but I can't raise a fish on plastic!

2manylures
26-07-2008, 12:07 PM
No FLY?

I voted both.

In my humble opinion if you want to consistantly catch your targetted species you have to use both plus fly.

This basically eliminates the age old theory/saying of fish shutting down.

I go by the adage that if I'm not catching, then I'm doing something wrong.

Can't remember the last time I went fishless.

ALL forms are an art in themselves.

Cammy
26-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Im 50 -50, im just getitng into saltwater sp's but i have fished bait for many many years, i always have sp's when i go fishing without a doubt.

Cam

BtotheM
26-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Soz, i meant (but didnt say) fly as a lures, thats y i put lures and be any type (prob should of explaned better)

Oh Gee
26-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I walk past all the bright shinny things on the wall and straight to the bait fridge. A lure has two jobs to do, once the fisherperson buyes it it only has one left.;D

fishnbum
26-07-2008, 08:55 PM
hi all yep i would have to say soft plastics here after going offshore fishing with a friend catching big snapper and sweetlip he is slowly converting me into soft plastics me still like the baits probly 60 %baitand 40%softplastics but my mate uses soft plastics all the time with good results

plaztix
26-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Haven't touched the stinky stuff for a looong time.:P and don't plan on going back.;)

Jeremy87
27-07-2008, 07:21 PM
i'm about 95% lures 5% bait. In saying that i do still enjoy fishing with bait

haggis
27-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I try both when I go fishing but catch most fish on bait .
might try a trip using sps only .
cheers haggis

Dirtysanchez
29-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I like both too, I am learning all I can about SPs and HBs, coz it is a bit more of an adventure to go out and target fish with these techniques, but I still love the serenity of a slow drift with a white bait or hardy head bumping along the bottom for a flatty, or working a surf gutter with worms I caught at the low tide 4 hours earlier.. for tasty whiting or bream.

NAGG
29-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Haven't touched the stinky stuff for a looong time.:P and don't plan on going back.;)

GULPs ;D ;D

kevvie
30-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Like most i came from a bait fishin background....slowly i have become a lure fishin snob... 90% now i fish with artificials....

I still use live bait occasionally when targeting XOS jew and unweighted crabs for bream in the hbury river...These are the only two bait scenarios where bait will outfish my lure in the areas i fish.

Gagga08
30-07-2008, 12:02 PM
All bait is good for is stinkin' up your boat and hands. Bring on lures!

Cammy
30-07-2008, 09:27 PM
wonder what using neither would result in ????
although i saw malcolm douglas recon the gt's were biting on bare hooks up in torres strait...

I once met this guy while i was fishing at shorncliffe pier and he was using crab nets, i think he had a cast net there and i asked him y he only uses nets, and he said That he catches more fish and crabs by netting and not using rod and reel, and he goes everywhere fishing/netting. But i didnt see him catch a thing while he was there;D He Wasnt a pro or anything incase it crossed your mind.

Cam

Little grey men
31-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Almost all of my fishing is with artificials...but occasionally I like to take my little boy down to Redcliffe and set up on the rocks in a pretty little spot, with a bit of chicken or some peeled prawns.
The rod jammed in between the rocks ( an old dodgy rod ) A thermos of coffee and something good to eat...my boy exploring and playing on the sand and me just kicking back with the early morning sun warming my face...not my serious fishing but something I really enjoy :) Those days are not about catching fish !!!

I also use crays out west to bob for yellowbelly. Once again, very relaxing and almost meditative.
So its a bit of both for me.

Nicko
05-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Using bait excites me.
Too many people are using soft plastics for my liking, it just reminds me too much of technology and computers and what not... All this high tech wizz-bang gear when at the time when I'm fishing, all I want is to be living in a wooden hut with no electricity so to speak.

I like to carve spears out of wooden branches to hunt for crabs while snorkling and love to fish with baits; I know what you're thinking, 'He must be an old man who sticks to tradition or an aboriginal', but actually I'm in my early 20's and am European.

Tangles
06-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Started with bait,, recently tangled with plastics for 6 months, all that hard work flicking etc, went back to mono and bait last year and having a ball, like an old friend, sit back drift and relax, and not worry, saying that I do like the prawnstars ;D

Volvo
08-08-2008, 06:00 AM
Bait, bait , bait n always bait nowadays..catch the fish i get a feed, lose the Fish :( , Fish gets a feed and so forth..
Also hate ta think of a Fish with a lure stuck halfeway down its gullet or a gutfull of plastic!!!..
Know i wouldnt like it....

Nicko
08-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Bait, bait , bait n always bait nowadays..catch the fish i get a feed, lose the Fish :( , Fish gets a feed and so forth..
Also hate ta think of a Fish with a lure stuck halfeway down its gullet or a gutfull of plastic!!!..
Know i wouldnt like it....
Good point! I didn't think about the fact that they'll have plastic in their guts, also... Like you said, one or two 3 prong lure hooks wouldn't be that nice for them, triple or sixtuple the pain!

Peter4
08-08-2008, 01:16 PM
but I still love the serenity of a slow drift with a white bait or hardy head bumping along the bottom for a flatty

Haven't used bait for over a year now.....

You can still slow drift with a 'deadstick' while plastics fishing.

I usually work one rod and have the other just sitting in the rodholder trailing a gulp or an atomic prong along the bottom. Both catch fish!!;) ;D

alphas
11-08-2008, 03:51 PM
I only use lures...Feels like an accomplishment to catch a fish on them,I grew up with bait but now really enjoy just using lures

reidy
13-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Good day all,
lures/sp keepin busy
bait ill just sit back for a while
fly nice dun rise that one
Horses for coarses
oppatunistic (back to school David)
Cheers
Reidy

BigE
14-08-2008, 06:07 PM
do a bit of both ....... bait seems to work better for me just can't seem to get a handle on them SP's except for flatties.

BigE