PDA

View Full Version : Safest positioning of a console

Brooker410
26-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi ya, I realise that there are many reasons for and against installing a centre/side/front console into open tinnies. Many of them very good reasons especially the safety/bouyancy and space arguments. But if someone was to take the plunge and install one anyway where would be the best position. Is there a calculation you can use to position these things or is it trial and error. The boat I have is a 2000 Brooker 410 Sportsman open tinnie(same model came out in forward control) I think it's actually 4.19metres. The outboard is a 1999 30hp 2stroke Mariner pull start. I'm a fairly large bloke about 105kg. I fish mainly by myself so space isn't a huge issue as consoles can store a fair bit in and around them.
If anyone has any ideas or has done the same and can give me some info that will save some hair loss that would be great. Any pictures or designs if you don't mind sharing would be useful to.
Cheers.

Brooker410
26-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Just to add to this I am leaning more towards a centre or side console not forward controls. Cheers.

FNQCairns
26-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Is your brooker wide bodied? A forward centre console works in these of that length so long as it has good enough buoyancy up front, best visibility, very bumpy but dry, can be hard to fish 2 over the same side comfortably due to one open deck space not partitioned.

A mid CC, works well as the decky/trip partner can have the front area when fishing (just so happens that is where the anchor is:))and you can have the back section, when traveling you then have the best weight holding position with enough room behind to sit the passenger without lots of complains (because their ride will be better than yours now) certainly wetter but less less bumpy than a forward CC and a passenger can even stand next to you while underway. Lines can be fished the greatest distance apart and easily from the one side.

A rear CC is the wettest, smoothest ride, less visibility, but passengers also know where the smart spot while traveling is, it might be wetter but it's just so comfortable to stand next to the console. Here lies the problem in a 4.2 the possiblity of2- 3 big blokes + the outboard and other stuffall in the last 1/4 to 1/3 of the boat can make for a lack of seaworthyness.

Personally I would go for a mid CC in a 4.2, I have owned a forward CC, far too bumpy and now own a rear CC which suits me to the ground because the boat can handle 3 blokes down the back at any time being 6m in length. Noone wants to sit on the esky in front of the CC (about where I would be standing if it were a mid CC) as the ride is just that much worse.

good luck

cheers fnq

Brooker410
26-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info. Yes it is a wide bodied Brooker. The Mid cc seems to be the best option for my boat. I'm guessing that it would be located in the dead centre of the boat or is that wrong.

FNQCairns
26-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Mine is a rear CC and I have 900mm of clear space down the centre line between steering wheel before the back of the boat, I am a little heavier than you and I still move freely and comfortably.

Firstly I would work from the rear forward, ensure enough space in the rear to accommodate those times when both need to position themselves to fish from the rear half (like on anchor in current), then an allowance for the CC then see what is left over up front as this will be the deckies home when at rest.

Although I dunno your internal dimensions, from the rear, 2m forward, then a CC of 400mm then hopefully still enough room to fit the Decky with a 500mm esky the same width as the CC and hard up against the CC in front for a seat/whatever, 850mm centreline is enough for just about anyone to fish comfortably.

It tood me absolutly ages when I set out the boat I own now with the tape measure eskys and lots of mock senarios to ensure I had enough room at the rear.

Still at the end of the day it's an individuals choice just what appeals them and it's your boat, listen to no-one but what you believe suits you, you will probably be proven right.

cheers fnq

Brooker410
26-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Cheers, thanks alot for you time and info. When I start I'll post progress updates. Looking forward to setting up the Brooker just for me.

ifishcq1
26-07-2008, 05:30 PM
B410

FNQ is dead right in positioning so I think the best all round set up is 2/3rds from front and 1/3rd from the back with a screen that protects the skipper

cheers

SL