PDA

View Full Version : slider poppers

Nico.d.R
25-07-2008, 07:41 PM
yesterday at work i had a go at making some poppers , i am making them like a slider slug so if you get busted up they will float to the top . i use a bit off broom stick and shaped it on the bench sander and then drilled a hole threw them . i have made a small one for bream and a bigger one for taylor tuna or what eva will take it , they are not painted yet but let me know what you think .

cheers nico

Nico.d.R
27-07-2008, 02:15 PM
well i tested out the little "slider pop" this morning and it works well , i have never been able to get a bream on a popper yet and this morning i got about 15 atleast , there average size was around 30cm and there were a few monsters down a bit lower in the water .

ok so it might have had something to do with the spot 8-) under the shipping terminal , i have never seen so many bream on the surface before we would have up to 10 bream chasing all the way back to the boat most casts , they were even flicking half out of the water chasing bait and swimming with there fins out of the water , it really got the blood pumping seeing so many fish then port security had to spoil our fun ::) .

i can not wait till i have some free time to make some more .

cheers nico

WyldFisher
27-07-2008, 02:42 PM
How long is that popper that you got the Bream on?

Nico.d.R
27-07-2008, 03:02 PM
about 4cm i have not mesured it yet and about 1cm wide .

marty+jojo
27-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Nice popper, and well done on getting into em on your own lure.
So did port security give you a warning or did you see them and move on?
Marty.

Nico.d.R
27-07-2008, 07:26 PM
thats the weird thing he didnt mention fines or warnings he pretty much said there are signs that say you can not fish there , and when he said 50m i asked him for his guess as to how far from where we were 50m is and he said about the width of the ships so i said thanks and left . i have been given a warning once with my unckle when we were to close to a petrol tanker near the pipe line and they said 100m from dangerous goods ships and said we have you and the boat rego on camera and if we see you here again we will give you a $3000 fine .
i didnt know they can take your boat .

cheers nico

Nico.d.R
01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
heres another one that is painted and one that needs the hole drilled and painting i am going to paint them black and then wrap them in fish net stockings and respray them silver so it will have black scale lines and silver scales . i am also going to try and make a few bigger ones for the trevs up at noosa . any thoughts on good colours i want to try and keep them fairly natural looking .

cheers nico

Nico.d.R
04-08-2008, 08:01 PM
this is the same 2 but painted

nuggstar
05-08-2008, 10:44 PM
they look awsome mate. id be keen to give one a try

Nico.d.R
05-08-2008, 11:25 PM
i have been out on site the last few days , so hopfully im in the shed thursday and friday and ill make a few more . any colour preferances nuggs ?

nuggstar
06-08-2008, 01:53 AM
pink or orange will be sweet. are you going to put any eyes on the ones you have made. i like the scale finnish ya did, it looks cool. im trying to find a paint or nail polish that looks just like the pearl watermelon the berkly minnows come in, so i can paint my jig heads the same colour and add eyes to them, but i recon that colour on a poper would go awsome.

Nico.d.R
06-08-2008, 06:55 PM
have a look at a car shop like super cheap and get the spray cans that are factory colours there should be a pearl there , yeah i will just use a marking pen to draw the eyes on . i havent had a chance to make any more yet but i will try to do a few before the weekend .

cheers nico

2manylures
06-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Nico, get creative and try some props on them.

Nico.d.R
06-08-2008, 07:48 PM
mate i dont really like them props , they probly work but i think its just some thing else the line can get caught in , and i dont think it would work the way the line goes threw the centre off these poppers . i was thinking about drilling some side holes like a bubble pop .

cheers nico

Viny
16-08-2008, 11:04 PM
nico,
they look really good. i turn up big dumbell popperes and stickbaits on the lathe. how'd you do the finish i'd love to try it on mine?

barra_mauler001
17-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Yea that finish looks great! Well done mate :P

Cheers barra

jayvee
17-08-2008, 05:08 PM
nice work NICO they look awsome. be sweet feeling catching fish on lures you made yourself to!!

BrandonH
18-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Viny, Pertty sure he used an onion bag to get the scaled effect;)

Would love the space to be able to setup my dad's lathe and make a few new lures:(

Cheers
Brandon...