PDA

View Full Version : Online VHF and 27Mhz Marine Radio Courses

Razgo-
25-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Because its difficult for me to attend any such classes like for radio courses I came across this site where you can do the course at home.

Thought this might be of interest for those who which to do the exam from home also.

site http://www.vhfradioonline.com/

ifishcq1
25-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks Razgo

you just gave me no options now and there are 6 of the test guys in Yeppoon
within 5mins drive

good thread

SL

Razgo-
25-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm halfway through he course now :) Its actually quite good. you get up to 15 goes at the quiz and do it in 30 days so no problems there.

PinHead
26-07-2008, 12:43 AM
from the site..you still have to attend somewhere to actually do the test:

"All candidates must sit a closed book 25 question exam in the presence of a registered Invigilator. An Invigilator is appointed by the Office of Maritime Communications, and there are many of them spread around the country. (See Links page). An Invigilator’s job is to organise the exam papers, ensure the exam is conducted in accordance with the guidelines, and send off the completed exam and fee.
The Invigilator does not mark the exam, but will seal it and send to the Office of Maritime Communications for marking. The pass mark is 70%. - 18 correct questions."

Razgo-
26-07-2008, 07:10 AM
yes thats right and that should be all of 30 mins. better than half a day :).

It should be only the actual exam you go to sit for.

The self assesment exam online i believe is the same exam you will sit for. so you do the self exam a few times and you will fly through the sit down exam.

Having said that i think this radio exam is pretty tough and much tougher than getting a boat license which is kind of ironic?

$220.00 on the spot fine if you have a working VHF on bard and no license and up to 2 year jail sentence if you don't pay the fine.

I can see the benifit of the radio course but when it comes down to it most people will forget most of it and probably rarely use the radio anyway. But its a good thing to have onboard for emergincies for sure.

Offshore i can understand perhaps the need to be up to date on radio proceedure.

Getting my boat license reqired no monitored sit down exam but did require a practical. When doing a practical thought th einstructer can easily judge your confidence and competence levels to a ceretain extent.

Its all good and i am happy to sit the exam and learn something new though but just not convinced on a few things.

Razgo-
26-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Oh and i do beleive aftger you do the exam you won't know if you passed! you have to wait for the results or certificate to come in the mail. whats that all about?

subzero
27-07-2008, 05:49 PM
This is my cut and paste of a question I received and replied to the other day. Saves typing it all again.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Gidday #######, I hadn’t heard of anyone doing the courses online before here in Australia until you pointed it out. It must be a fairly recent innovation on the ABC part.

I am not really sure what to think to be honest. I am sure for some people it will work out fine. For others they prefer the interaction and probably need things explained in some detail. When I run the Radio Courses I like to put real life examples and explain why things are the way they are on the important areas.

If someone is happy to learn online and can take the time to sit at a computer and is disciplined enough, then they could probably get away with just reading the handbook online at the OMC website which can be downloaded free. The Handbook covers both the MROCP and the MROVCP.

http://www.amc.edu.au/system/files/amc.omc_.mrohb_.08.pdf
__________________________________________________ ________________

Again my personal opinion only.

I did my Boat License online for a giggle in the US just to see how they differed a few years back. What I learned was nothing but flew through the test as the so called course was designed SPECIFICALLY to answer a known set of questions, it was not designed to educate or make you understand anything at all.

IT IS NOT MANDATORY TO DO ANY COURSE TO SIT YOUR RADIO LICENSE/CERTIFICATE. It just helps to learn and understand it better.

Since my wife became seriously ill, I no longer teach Marine Radio or anything else so I don't really have a vested interest in it at all. If you want to learn the bare basics, read a book or do an online course. If you want to UNDERSTAND the why, the where the how and the when, plus meet a few like minded people do a course in person at a Coastguard or VMR.

Once again, just my opinion, I have NOT done the online course so perhaps I am wrong and being unfair?

At the end of the day I have never given a fat rats arse whether people sit their Radio Licenses or not, just that they know how and when to use them if the need arises and not to make the situation worse nor be afraid to use them.

There are many radio operators out there far more skilled than I do and understand fully about all finer points but hopefully they have taken the time to back it up by reading the book online so they are aware of the silence periods, correct frequencies, channels and so on to monitor.

Cheers Lloyd

subzero
27-07-2008, 06:02 PM
By the way Razgo- in your situation I think it is good that they are available, at least you can attend an online course and at the end of the day you must get something out of it. All to often I forget that not everyone lives in Brisbane.

Regards Lloyd

dumbochickenhead
27-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I was told yesterday that you could have a VHF in your boat with no licence, listen only and not log on or log off or general chat, but be able to transmit only if in imminent danger eg. warranting a mayday call.......

Razgo-
27-07-2008, 07:05 PM
the online course has everything you will ever need to know. It is extremely informative and then some. 127 questions for the exam! only made 90% but i am sure i can go over a few more times to do better.

I think the course could be split in 2 so there is one for commercial and or offshore and one for just inshore local.

The way i have read things is if your VHF is operational you need a license or can be fined.

subzero
27-07-2008, 07:48 PM
OK, I have to be a little careful here as I am going to end up giving a radio course online here bit by bit and I don't want to end up doing that as I am a very slow typist with very little time. This is probably going to be my last post on the subject as this has the potential to grow as one question leads to another.

Theoretically you need an operators license/certificate if you have a VHF on your boat. (Note the part "must be under the control of a qualified operator at all times" below).

Having said that I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for having one on their boat. Nor have I ever heard of a non qualified person being prosecuted for using that radio in an emergency. When I was on roster, I used to ask the Water Police frequently what their personal opinion and likely policing outcome would be if used by non licensed operators in an emergency. In EACH and EVERY case the Police said that it would be counter productive to prosecute. They WANT people to call them, VMR's Coastguards whoever before a problem escalates. They have always said to me if used sensibly and that the user didn't complicate matters they would give him a pat on the back. Having said that, that is obviously the Officers choice.... you p him off and he may get you for anything. If the Gov tells them to start enforcing it they will enforce it. YOUR CALL, NOT MINE

__________________________________________________ _______________
Cut and pasted from the ACMA web site at

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_2749#5

Operator qualifications

VHF and MF/HF marine radio equipment and Inmarsat (A, B, C) Satellite communications equipment carried on board a vessel must be under the control of a qualified operator at all times.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Lastly Razgo, I am pleased that you are happy with the course and wish you all the best when you sit for your certificate :)

Cheers Lloyd

QF3 MROCP
29-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Lloyd,
Go and look after your wife, You have done more than the call of duty in explaining the situation with the certificate.

You are right about the "fat rats arse" - Our main job as trainers for the CG's and VMR's has been to educate those who are seriously wanting to learn and learn from those with experience. No web site will ever convey the local knowledge and interaction a radio course class room will produce. I'm sure your years of providing the course, like mine, has not been just for the sake of getting a 70% pass mark about using a radio and in turn satisfy a Fed Govt requirement. It is the wider range of safe boating information that is provided in conjunction with the exam syllabus.

One point everyone should remember is the certificate is an international one for all radio operators whether it be the Aust Navy, P&O Cruise Ship, BHP Coal Ship, 4.2 tinnie user in Moreton Bay, Auckland Harbour or the Arctic!!

For those wanting to just do the exam only, feel free to call QF3 on 32035522 and make a booking for just the exam day run each month - donation to Coast Guard is tax deductible... next exam on August 17th.

Peter