PDA

View Full Version : Honda 4 stroke 40HP 2005 - Impeller replacement?

3bagsfull
25-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi there,

I have a 2005 Honda 4 stroke outboard motor and I got it serviced about 1 year ago at about 45 hours on the clock. They replaced the Impeller and a few other things. (As motor had not been started for over a year)

What I noticed when I got it back was that there was no tail spray coming out the back, only like glop's of water, slowing leaking out.

I knew nothing about boats & motors at that time, so I did not think much of it.

The motor has run really well and never overheated. I think it has heat sensor alarms on it or so I have been told anyway.

My concern is, after reading, reading and more reading on these forums etc. It sounds like it could be blocked? or it's not good anyway?

I just want to clear up my understanding of it all.

Is it bad if I don't have the nice little tail wash coming out of it?
Is the pump stuffed or blocked?
Are you able to get a service manual (like a car) for this motor?

Thanks for any information.

Cheers,

foxx510
25-07-2008, 05:04 PM
It is bad if the telltale is not squirting out water, it needs to be looked at. You can get a manual on cd from this ebay seller http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/sports_outboards/ . Only thing with it is you have to change the computer date to make it work, apart from that it's fine.

disorderly
25-07-2008, 05:33 PM
mate it sounds like it must be blocked in the telltale somewhere.
The impellor must be working and water must be getting through the motor or you would have overheated or worse.
Could be wasp nest, ant nest or some crap in there...try poking some wire down there and see if anything is dislodged.
But certainly fix it ..the telltale's function is to visually indicate that your water pump is pumping water and cooling the motor...before it overheats.

Scott

Tazmaniac
25-07-2008, 06:22 PM
I've had the same thing occur on my old 40 hp Mariner, blew compressed air back down through the tell tale. Problem solved. However this was done as soon as the problem occured.

Taz

Spaniard_King
25-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Could be your not using the correct flushing technique:o ????

do you tape up the 3rd water inlet when using muffs::)

I would have to say none of the people who replied above have any clue on how to flush a 50 Honda Properly8-)

FNQCairns
25-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Could be your not using the correct flushing technique:o ????

do you tape up the 3rd water inlet when using muffs::)

I would have to say none of the people who replied above have any clue on how to flush a 50 Honda Properly8-)

Garry that would be true! I doubt 99% of all people would remember ever seeing one;D;D;D;D

cheers fnq

disorderly
25-07-2008, 09:26 PM
or maybe they are just so damn good they can run without water.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

Spaniard_King
25-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks FNQ... I think:-/

Heres a pic.. see if yas can work it out:-*

Spaniard_King
25-07-2008, 09:32 PM
or maybe they are just so damn good they can run without water.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif
No Scott, They only have 1 model that does that.. but its a 2HP... would you like me to send you a brochure8-)

disorderly
25-07-2008, 09:49 PM
No Scott, They only have 1 model that does that.. but its a 2HP... would you like me to send you a brochure8-)

yeah..no worries Garry...might be able to strap it to my surfboard when I'm feeling lazy.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

FNQCairns
25-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks FNQ... I think:-/

Heres a pic.. see if yas can work it out:-*

Thanks for the pic, nah just having a useless jab at those Honda things because it's been a year or more since I can last remember seeing one in real life. Possibly they are not sold up here in the boonies.

cheers fnq

disorderly
25-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the pic, nah just having a useless jab at those Honda things because it's been a year or more since I can last remember seeing one in real life. Possibly they are not sold up here in the boonies.

cheers fnq

Dont know anything about them either but a local trout fisher has one on the back of his dory... man.. you can barely hear it at idle...incredibly quiet and the local formosa /razerline agent seems to be fitting up a few lately.

foxx510
26-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I didn't realise he was talking about the telltale not working during flushing, I thought he meant during use on water. Ours flushes fine without the third hole being blocked if you hold the muffs on tight.

3bagsfull
28-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi Guy's,

I have fixed the problem.
Thanks heaps everyone for your ideas & help :-)

I blew compressed air into telltail and used a really thin guage wire to unblock it. As soon as I did that a nice beautiful telltail was spewing out the back.

It's unusual that when I got it first serviced I can never remember the telltail out the back when flushing or even driving the boat (I use a flush bag, never the muffs)

Lucky I did not overheat the motor and it seems to startup and just run better after taking it for a spin on the weekend.

Thanks heaps for your help again everyone :-)

foxx510 - I brought that manual from the link you gave me. Thanks heaps for that!!!