PDA

View Full Version : VMR Logging in.

Ryan.S
24-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Hello all, due to recent sad events in my life, the death of my kid brother (and first mate) and my wifes sister in a car accident that i watched unfold, also an explosion that left me 45% burnt, I have decided to post this just incase it saves one life. I have come to realise accidents happen! As i have mentioned before i have been volunteering for the VMR466 Hervey Bay for about 9 months now, first in the office and now in the Radio tower. Over this period several people have come in too ask a few question and throughout the conversation realised that VMR does NOT require you to be a member to log on with them. I realise this will be common knowledge for most of you but after having so many people not know this i thought i would post it anyway. Any vessell leaving any area monitored by a coast gaurd or VMR is welcome to logon, just give your Boat Rego, when you are expected back and number of people on board. And any other info you wish to, Mobile etc. This is very cheap insuranc and gives you piece of mind. If your clinging to your esky one afternoon it would be nice to know someone will come looking soon. Just remember to log of at the end of the day or you will get a call from the water police when you are tucked into your warm bed to see where you are. Once again i apologise if this is common knowledge to you.

sleepygreg
24-07-2008, 11:03 PM
I feel for you Ryan, and back up your post on logging in to VMR. You guys do a fantastic job and I can commend ANYONE that goes offshore, no matter how experienced you are, log on to a VMR or Coastguard base and log off when you get back.....Its bluddy cheap insurance if you have an 'accident'...and not that hard. Even better still...join one of said organisations.....every cent helps...they are "Volounteers" with no government fundings. I have seen posts on here about near misses, just one of these could have been converted into an 'accident' that required VMR or Coastguard assistance. Nearly everytime I am on the water I see and hear situations that could easily become one of the 'statistics'. Never underestimate the sea....or peoples stupidity....it might not be your fault..but you may still require help.

jumping off my soapbox now

Greg

Benno1
24-07-2008, 11:39 PM
our most heartfelt condolances to you and your family on your loss Ryan S...and im with Sleepygreg as well...the mere pittance that you pay for membership is nothing in regards for to what you get back in return...for me its just the "knowing" that if we ever need help...we can call for it...peace of mind...nuff said :D
(Mrs Benno1)

blackjack
25-07-2008, 06:18 AM
i am so sorry to read of your losses Ryan and your own terrible burns. our thoughts are with you in such difficult circumstances. thank you for being a volunteer. my daddy was one also. they do an amazing job through pure dedication to keeping us all safe.

blackjenny (and blackjack)

tinman42
25-07-2008, 09:57 AM
I completely agree with you Ryan. I was an active member of VMR for 10 years and it is amazing how many people do not log on as they think you have to be a member.
From VMR/Coast Guard perspective the more info you can give the easier it is if they have to come looking for you if you are overdue or in trouble. It is amazing how many people log on saying they are "just going out into the Bay (Moreton Bay, Brisbane)"or "we are going over to Straddie"
Moreton Bay is an enormous piece of water if you have to mount a search. Where do you start? Or you get the person who does log on and gives a destination, but decides to move during the day without notifying anyone.
I strongly urge all Ausfish members to log on with their local VMR/Coast Guard/Coastal Patrol before venturing out, not only for you sake but for peace of mind for your loved ones.

Little grey men
25-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Damn sorry to hear of you and your wifes tragic loss Ryan. Life can certainly spring some nasty surprises on you. Try to keep your chin up mate and may your healing be quick and easy.
Thanks for the advice re the VMR....makes sense.

lunar_c
25-07-2008, 06:21 PM
What is the go if your planned departure/return is outside of normal monitoring hours?

Ryan.S
25-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Mate you can ring ahead of your departure and they will put you on the books before they leave, let them know when your ETA/ETR. If its a couple days you will be put on the Extended stay log. Also if you get back to late the day you are expected, just call the the base and ask for the radio tower first thing in the morning. That will be no drama's. Just as long as you log off on the day they expect you or at least the morning after. Has to be pretty soon after they open but in order to avoid being reported lost.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Nice to be a part of a great site of decent blokes. Cheers

tim2
25-07-2008, 07:48 PM
THanks for the info,
I was definitely one of the uninformed masses, but have been planning to go in to talk to the VMR for a few weeks now(new boat).
I am going to join anyway, but couldnt find a lot of info on the website. I will go ask the locals some questions this weekend.
Great work Ryan.

Hornet Rider
25-07-2008, 08:04 PM
My sincere condolences Ryan. You have great spirit & the right attitude. I hope your healing, physically & emotionally, is uncomplicated, swift & much less painful then the tragedy you, your wife & your family have experienced. Thanks also for your willingness to volunteer your time with the VMR.

Oh Gee
25-07-2008, 09:40 PM
And remember you don't need a radio to log on or off either. A phone call is also handy.