PDA

View Full Version : fallen overboard

hunge
24-07-2008, 09:49 PM
how many of you have fallen overboard while the boat is still traveling along it has happened to my dad once and the boat just kept going till for a mile or so before they had realised he was gone. just come to mind again after the poor guy at mooloolaba

Ryan.S
24-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Havent yet mate, i watched my uncle and a mate fall out of a tinny one day. He had a place on the maroochy river and was trying to untangle a tiger shark from the crab pot. Some how the shark was pulled into the boat and they were knocked out. Wasnt real funny at the time but hilarious now. Sorry a bit of track, the boat wasn't running i guess.

disorderly
24-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Not exactly fallen but a japanese guy I took out fishing several times ended up slipping over at the end of the ramp twice and upon returning in the evening I tried to explain that when I nudged the boat onto the ramp he should get over the side and hold the boat steady...
Well I heard a splash when I was still 20-30 feet from the ramp and when I nosed up on the ramp and looked back there he was just coming up for air....guess he must have misunderstood....http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

bushbeachboy
25-07-2008, 06:32 AM
Not while still travelling along, but while not yet anchored. In prime croc country too. And I hadn't had even one beer yet!!!!

Dirtysanchez
25-07-2008, 10:33 AM
:) LoL, I had a similar one to disorderly down at Rudy Maas a few years back, had a bloke fish an over nighter with me and he polished off a bottle of Bundy overnight while I fished / slept.
Got back to the ramp in the morning and the boat was a bit crooked on the trailer as we were putting it on, so he walked to the back of the ramp to push the boat and he stepped off the end of the ramp ;D

He went down like a pencil and I reckon coz he was 9/10ths pissed he came back up again and then realised he'd gone under and started coughing and sputtering, then throwing up water etc.

Still had his smoke in his mouth too ::)

Gagga08
25-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Never fallen overboard yet...touch wood. I'm actually worry about it though as I fish from a 4m open tinny, and I often fish alone. I don't always attach the cut off device around my wrist so if it happens i'd be screwed. Maybe I should start wearing it more often!

Az
25-07-2008, 12:40 PM
funniest one I experienced was a mate of mine trying to hold his 5.5m haines to the jetty at straddie - pissed as a fart (wasn't skipper) ... he was well above oyster covererd rocks.. needless to say the boat drifted further away from the jetty than he could hold and he went straight down in between boat and jetty onto the rocks and got nicely sliced...

a little offtopic but worth sharing!

TheRealAndy
25-07-2008, 01:23 PM
how many of you have fallen overboard while the boat is still traveling along it has happened to my dad once and the boat just kept going till for a mile or so before they had realised he was gone. just come to mind again after the poor guy at mooloolaba

this is why you use the deadmans lanyard. I always use it when I am solo. Its there for a reason, use it.

I have fallen out of a boat, but it was a sailing boat when I was hiking (hanging out the side of the boat to keep it level) during a race.. I was a two man boat, so I was never in danger. A sail boat will always turn into the wind if no one is at the helm, so even if I was solo would have been ok.

Lancair
25-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Not yet.
I did stumble and loose balance whilst standing on my forward casting deck, luckily I fell towards the rear and managed to not go overboard.

Disorderly, I had a similar thing happen. Asked my mate to jump over the bow to stop the boat from hitting bottom on the ramp when we stopped, he lept over about 20 foot from the ramp into 2m of water.

I fish solo a lot and often wonder what my chances are if I were to hit my head on the side of the boat whilst falling into the water,(esp from a raised casting deck) whilst NOT wearing a lifejacket. The block PFD1 are no good for fishing in and not very user friendly once on and in the water, so I bought a jacket style but it's also bulky and uncomfortable to wear while fishing. But a good jacket if you were going to be in the water for more than a few minutes.
To be safe and comfortable for fishing Im considering the jacket style for bar crossing and solo offshore travelling and maybe an auto inflatable for wearing while fishing solo, offshore or inshore. Call me paranoid but Ive got a young family that want me home after every fishing trip.

Andrew

pedrodepacus
25-07-2008, 03:42 PM
yep beach launch down near third headland midlle of winter freezin cold boat got picked up by a shore dumper after we jumped in as the moter stalled skipper couldnt get it going second one picked the boat right up on its side me and the other guy bailed out eventually got her going it was the coldest run out ive ever been on but first drop got a real nice sambo made everything better

Chong
25-07-2008, 04:36 PM
never, and hope to keep it that way. I have had a deckie go over twice in one trip::) we where on the condamine river in 10ft tinnie, winter, dark night, checking the lines. my deckie,Old mate from NZ had a few home brew beers under his belt but seemed in control.
Any way got 300m up river and i says to old mate, hang on to this log as i check this line, all is good and im talking away, few swear words as line is snagged and i can feel a fish on other end8-) , no response (probable only 60 sec) look up and no Old mate, no noise, no movment nothing:o so i wait 10..15...20seconds and i'm now standing with gaff, tourch and getting ready to jump in...very cold....last option:-X another 10...15....then swosh, splash,splutter::)

I said what the f&%# are you doing, old mate says its to dark didnt know which was up and kept swiming to the bottom:-/ (maybe 3-4m) bloody hell is it that different in NZ::) , so i get him back on board and he turns blue in about 3 seconds,;D and wants to keep checking the other lines.

i says well hang on 5 let me get this fish, which i did nice yellow belly and we'll see how you feel. He is now purple and shivering so much my rum was spilling my rum>:( so i says no way back to camp and to the fire for you.

get down stream and just before we are about to touch the bank, 3-4m off, i turn to lift the motor, turn back and guess what...no old mate::) he's gone again, didnt take as long this time to resurface but still i was pissed off.

Its a good laugh now but i was really worried the first time he was under, could have been caught up on a snag or anything. He didnt get in the boat at night for the rest of the trip.

Cheers

Hornet Rider
25-07-2008, 06:52 PM

No, but have practiced deliberate man-over-board drills in Kleppers, 5 & 10 man Zods, 10 man ally assault boats, by day & night. Anyone who's never tried to get back into a tinny or small glass boat should try it under controlled conditions. Not as easy as you might think. Not so bad with bigger boats that have aft access or steps / ladders. Not attaching the kill switch lanyard when your solo is tempting fate unreasonably.

wilcara
25-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Lancair you are far from paranoid.

I was out on a dead flat lake with no wind etc and a mate and his 12 yo boy, who of course I let be at the helm and I stood behind him... anyway he slammed the throttle forward and the boat took off like a greyhound. I went stumbling a$se over head backwards and nearly went over the top of the motor. Always wear a vest, even in the dead calm, the unexpected can happen.

One other time I was trying to climb from a 10' tender into the 34' proper boat with a car battery in my hands - p&ssed as. I remember putting the battery on the transom as I lost balance, and looking at the mooring rope all the way down, and the anchor on the sandy bottom, and swimming back up.... my mate was cacking himself of course.

Don't drink on boats guys.

Reminds me of another thing - I read once that 30% of drowned fishers are found with their pants fly open. Obviously overbalancing? Since then I bought one of those pee bottles from a chemist (actually I stole one) and I use it if peeing on the boat. Feel much comfortabler now.

batten
25-07-2008, 08:50 PM
yeh mate did it the other day actually 4.3m tinnie standin on the front casting deck, old mates driving, having 2 check our pots early to make sure no one else does it 4 us anyway looking 4 sand bars cause it was real shallo.we had to go tite 2 the mangroves 2 get a chanel but the mangroves ended putting a shadoy on the water so i couldnt c anything even a foot deep. hit a lone rock just big enough 2 stop the boat goiang slo as then plop i was straite over the front, cut feet and in croc water tell ya old mate was caking himself and i was bloody cold cause it had 2 b winter.got back in that boat quick i tell ya

in2fishing
26-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Lancair, Also agree with you. I recently bought a GME 406 mhz PLB that is GPS equipped. When I go offshore by myself I will be wearing it on a belt, along with an inflatable jacket I have. The PLB cost about $500, but if ever I need it I will be thinking it's money well spent. I went for GPS equipped as the lat and long is sent within a minute or so after activation. I have a "safety grab bag" kit too, but you may not get a chance to grab it.
Cheers,

Don

wilcara
26-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah the "safety grab bag" always intrigues me.... yeah OK for flares etc I suppose but its a bit like having the life jackets up in the bow isn't it?

No with the epirbs we are all playing with, are you supposed to go up front and get it too just before the big blue one hits or you tip over? If it is mounted on the boat, and it tips, how will it activate under water? What good is it then? How can you attach one in the boat so that it can release and activate if you suddenly flip or something, or say you hit a whale or a submerged log at 60k's and rip your bottom out? How can you rig it so an ordinary ol' bit of lumpy water doesn't activate it too?

I bought a little one and have it in the pocket of my vest figuring that if I go overboard at least I still have it with me, but it is heavy and a nuisance. I'd love to see if anybody has addressed the above issues.

pursuit001
29-07-2008, 05:23 PM
hi guys i havent myself but i took a mate out on one of my boats i was scooting along at a great pace and old mate was on the rear seat i looked back and said ill show you how she performs he said ok no worries so i opened her up and put her in to a hook and on its side she went my mate bein a big bloke slid to the side of the boat and bang over he went funny thing was it was in the middle of winter phone and all in his pocket and steam coming of his shirt from the cool meeting the warm i couldn say sorry enuff then i get hit with its ok mate its not the first time ive falling out of a boat couldn believe it i still laugh to this day

upstart
29-07-2008, 05:48 PM
I've got a mate called Stuart who fell out of a canoe, pissed as, in the middle of the Paluma Dam one cold winters night. He and his mate couldn't right it so they had to swim it back to shore. Stu was a bit panicky, thought he was going to drown but they made it back ok. We now call him Stuey Canoey!

cooky
29-07-2008, 06:44 PM
upstart has been drinking again!

lunchcutter
30-07-2008, 07:40 PM
well getting a tow back in from the coast guard 1 of the blokes standing up on the front just as we were pulling into the ramp he went a-se up it was so funny but not for him i suppose

Go Gecko
30-07-2008, 09:00 PM
One of the funniest sights I have seen happened years ago when I was a young teenager just starting to take notice of girls. A runabout of about 16ft was coming into the beach with this beautiful goddess sitting on the bow, as the boat approached the shore she slid forward right up to the bow and when she thought it was shallow enough she pushed herself over the front. Unfortunately for her, but not all the lookers on, her bikini bottom got caught on the anchor bollard and gave her the biggest wedgie - both front and back! Aahh boating such great memories....

upstart
30-07-2008, 09:13 PM
upstart has been drinking again!

Hey Cooky, how come you don't have a picture of your boat up there with your name?

mik01
30-07-2008, 10:01 PM
One of the funniest sights I have seen happened years ago when I was a young teenager just starting to take notice of girls. A runabout of about 16ft was coming into the beach with this beautiful goddess sitting on the bow, as the boat approached the shore she slid forward right up to the bow and when she thought it was shallow enough she pushed herself over the front. Unfortunately for her, but not all the lookers on, her bikini bottom got caught on the anchor bollard and gave her the biggest wedgie - both front and back! Aahh boating such great memories....

hahahaha - now thats gold!

ahem.... was she, erm, you know..... ummm :-[ (tidy down there?):o

Apollo
31-07-2008, 07:14 AM
I have gone over the side about 5m off Norah Head at 2am in a 30knot blow. It was from a racing yacht and I got bounced over the windward side by not paying enough care to what I was doing. Had a safety harness on and was tethered to a strongpoint. Problem was - there was no way I could pull myself back aboard from the side in that seaway, so the boys had to hook on another tether to mine, unhook mine from the deck and ease me to the stern so I could drag my sorry carcass back aboard. They had to keep some way on the boat as to stop it would have been dangerous for the boat and crew. I was probably in the water for less than a couple of minutes (felt like 15) and with the getting dragged along and bashed against the side of the hull, I was completely stuffed and barely able to get back over the stern which has a large swim type step. Scare the shit out of me and when the boys released my lifeline to the boat to ease me back, it certainly rams home why I only race with people I can trust.

nigelr
31-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Learn't a good lesson on my last bar crossing. Got too cocky, crossed this bar dozens of times without incident.
WRONG, should have paid more attention to the swell conditions before I left.
First light, a very cool morning, solo, 4.2m open tinny, tiller steer. Obviously needs to be flat, swell was dying by not sufficiently. Confronted with a 4ft wave with no where/time to run.
Old surfie trick, if confronted with a close-out, paddle towards wave as fast as possible and try and go under the corner of the lip of the oncoming wave. Fine on a board.............
Actually worked ok with the boat, but I'm certainly not advocating it.
Accelerated flat out at the 'pocket', trying to clip the corner of the lip.
Worked a treat, boat flew over the wave and landed perfectly.
Problem was, I wasn't in it!
As the corner of the lip hit the boat, she flipped sideways and threw me and my 240lt esky overboard at a rate of knots. Esky connected with my forehead, instant 20 stitch gash.
Now the thing that has always annoyed me about my motor is that it won't idle in gear for more than 3-4 minutes......................man thats my favourite thing about it these days, believe me!
Swam around after her for a few minutes, and with the help of adrenaline, was able to climb up the motor and back aboard. I've never previously been able to do this, I'm 52 yo so I'll use that as an excuse.........::)
Wet as a shag, pissing blood, bu$$ered me shoulder, hope the motor starts........she does, first go!
Lay on the floor as a wave breaks in front, no problems, slips underneath without much drama, flatten the bugger out past the break, take stock for a minute, then back to the ramp ASAP.
My tiller arm extension has gone overboard, so I'm driving from the transom seat, hardly able to see........pass my big, beaut esky in the break unable to salvage her, then had to load the poor old girl with a bu$$ered shoulder.
Marvelous stuff, that adrenaline.
AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!
The boat goes in for mods on Saturday, wavebreaker on the front, step on the transom, and I will be purchasing a Stormy jacket before I cross the bar again.
Not to mention checking the swell more thoroughly next time.......................
After some thought, I will be sticking with the tiller steer............
Ah, you live and if your lucky, very very lucky, you learn............
Cheers.

wilcara
31-07-2008, 10:45 AM
What can I say, but nice to have you with us.

Sometimes we are lucky to have the opportunity to learn. Hope that doesn't sound cocky, it is not meant to be. I learned from many mistakes that thankfully left me alive and well, and wiser. Sadly a couple of my friends have not had that second chance.

It is amazing isn't it how "familiarity breeds contempt" in so many ways.

Anyway thanks for your story mate.

thelump
31-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Never fallen overboard yet...touch wood. I'm actually worry about it though as I fish from a 4m open tinny, and I often fish alone. I don't always attach the cut off device around my wrist so if it happens i'd be screwed. Maybe I should start wearing it more often!

Same in my old tinny. About 10k's out to sea and nearly rolled off the back doing about 40 kph. Needless to say I had the killswitch on when solo every trip after that.