PDA

View Full Version : Who does Boat checks?

QF3 MROCP
24-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Thought this was a good list and am wondering who many are done each time you go out? regardless the frequency...

Trip preparation checklist

Know your boat
It is your responsibility to make sure the boat is safe to use, you know how to use it properly and you have the right safety equipment (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Safety_equipment/). This is your general safety obligation (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/General_safety_obligation/).

Home or marina maintenance
boat, trailer, equipment and testing

Pre-departure
plan the trip and select suitable anchorage locations
establish an emergency plan
be sure the boat is suitable for the conditions
establish tidal predictions and range
estimate travel times
calculate adequate fuel plus reserve
charge batteries
load and check safety equipment
check tool kit and repair/replacement spares
replenish first aid supplies
obtain latest weather observations and future predictions
gather the latest bar crossing information
limit alcohol consumption - 0.05 on the water
tell someone where you are going

Launching and getting underway
use the rigging lane at the car park
check the bungs are screwed in firmly
secure all loose items in the boat
instruct all passengers on safety requirements
life jackets (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Lifejackets_personal_flotation_devices/) must be worn by all children under 12 years of age, in open boats under 4.8 m when underway
wait your turn to launch
log on with the local volunteer marine rescue group (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Marine_radios/)
put on life jackets before crossing designated coastal bars
listen to broadcast of up-to-date weather forecasts
choose the correct anchor for the location
take care of the environment (oil, chemical (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Environment/Oil_chemical_pollution/), sewage (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Environment/Sewage/))
radio the volunteer marine rescue group with any change of location or observed dangers
display correct navigation lights (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Navigation_lights/) (running and anchored)

Upon returning
log off with the local volunteer marine rescue group
wait your turn to retrieve your boat onto the trailer
use the rigging lane at the ramp to secure boat and gear
isolate all battery power sources
unscrew bungs to release water

Home or marina maintenance
clean and flush boat motor
inspect boat for wear and tear
boat, trailer, equipment care

BtotheM
24-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I do all of them, except plan my trip (for eg exact where im goin (spot not place), dont have an emergency plan, doent do time travel ect or dont log off volunteer marine groups. But i do all the rest. Except i fish for bream with lures 9 times out of 10, and fish canal and esturay ect so it doesnt really matter both doing the volunteer, travel times ect!!!!

Hornet Rider
24-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Good check list QF. I also have a few extras:
* Check grab contents & position on port aft break-away point
* Check for fuel leaks
* Brief all POB on boat, EPIRB & radio operation, deck & equipment layout & safety equipment
* Brief POB on scanning & observation technique to avoid collision
* Assign POB responsibilities for normal & emergency situations
* Ensure all POB have lifejacket fitted (manual inflate minimum) for duration of trip
* Final system check of steering prior to launching boat
* Keep VHF on Scan when underway to improve situational awareness

Jeremy
25-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Are you two trying to outdo yourselves in self righteousness, or have you just lost your minds? 99% of boaties on ausfish are trailerboat owners. Alot of the points mentioned are just common sense. You either have it or you don't. For example:

Jeremy
25-07-2008, 08:08 AM
this is most useful. I am so glad you posted the list. I will go home now and get to know my boat. Never thought about tides before or estimating fuel usage, and I would never have guessed I have to unscrew bungs to release water. Got any other gems out there guys?

Point I am making is stop being so bloody self righteous and keep it real.

Jeremy

Hornet Rider
25-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Are you two trying to outdo yourselves in self righteousness, or have you just lost your minds? 99% of boaties on ausfish are trailerboat owners. Alot of the points mentioned are just common sense. You either have it or you don't. For example:

No such thing as common sense Jeremy, it's a big myth that rolls on dangerously with a push or shove every now & then by those lacking wisdom. There's either good sense or bad sense. It makes good sense to create checklists & have them reviewed by a wide forum, especially a forum like this one that has thousands of years of boating experience. Could appear a bit pedestrian for jets like you, but very useful for those with less experience. What is 'common' for you, under cross examination, is often not know by others. Your terse comment is unwarranted.

TheRealAndy
25-07-2008, 08:54 AM
How about the best off all, use common sense? Seriously, no one can stick to a single list. Mine would change everytime I go out, based on where I am going and what I am doing. I chose not to vote in this poll.

scrubba01
25-07-2008, 11:48 AM

Jeremy sounds a bit like the guy of those ads "I know boats" .

There are a lot of younger members new to boating on this site and Boating Safety is one thing that can't be re-enforced enough. If you don't want to read it don't look at the thread.

trueblue
25-07-2008, 12:01 PM
There are plenty of inexperienced people who wouldn't know everything posted in the list.

You just wouldn't believe the number of people assisted by Coast Guard and VMR who didn't have all of the required equipment, or who made major blunders because of their inexperience.

"Safety by all Means" is the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard motto, and Public Education is a key factor in this.

There will be someone out there who doesn't have your experience, who will benefit from things being pointed out to them that they were not aware of.

Regards

Mick

Jeremy
25-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Never said I know everything by any means. Sure as hell don't. Maybe there are just some people who God never intended to go out in boats.

I acknowledge that my previous comment was a bit strongly worded.

Jeremy

garman1
25-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks Pete, I like the list because it jogs your memory, even if your sure you have checked everything.

Just a thought............What if the list can be printed and laminated, with all the items mentioned with a box next it, so you can tick them off etc and can be arranged for sale, with the proceeds to go to the VMR as a way of a donation etc, I'll buy one and put it up in the garage and check it off before a trip out.

What do others think ??, this is a way of supporting your local vmr..........

So if a checklist is made available for sale, I'll buy one.

PinHead
25-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Good check list QF. I also have a few extras:
* Check grab contents & position on port aft break-away point
* Check for fuel leaks
* Brief all POB on boat, EPIRB & radio operation, deck & equipment layout & safety equipment
* Brief POB on scanning & observation technique to avoid collision
* Assign POB responsibilities for normal & emergency situations
* Ensure all POB have lifejacket fitted (manual inflate minimum) for duration of trip
* Final system check of steering prior to launching boat
* Keep VHF on Scan when underway to improve situational awareness

do you really do these things ????

jtpython
25-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Mate a very precise list it is
I think we all take a certain level as a to do list
I always take everything out of the boat regarding fishing gear leaving all safety gear inside the boat this is to make cleaning and drying a lot easier(all gear is in bags or waterproof carry bag)
I always do a radio check before i leave home (30km from coast guard building) this always gives me a little piece of mind run motor check oils bungs straps and winch straps etc .......
Seeing most of our trips are leaving the harbour in early hours of he morning i'll listen for traffic on the way out and ask what the water is like in the recipients position (ie: outside the islands ...... This usually works for guys i know by there call sign when they talk to each other)
The Internet provides wind speed at certain locations in our vicinity giving us a little more assurance of knowing what we can expect
All in all making sure everything is in good order not much can go wrong and after countless trips i have worked out fuel consumptions on flat calm days and into head winds and strong winds knowing a safe working area gives us more self assurance
Good friends and family as crew members always makes matters safer too
JT

Hornet Rider
25-07-2008, 06:19 PM
do you really do these things ????

Nah, of course not PH. I just invented that list to get a rise out of Jeremy, & it worked:D Yes mate, I do, but I do it casually & inclusively. It's called cockpit resource management (CRM). Anyone who travels on my boat gets a soldiers five on all of the things that will hurt them, that will help save them, that will help them to enjoy the trip, & that which will help them to be as competent as possible to take over if I become disabled - either to call for help, activate the EPIRB or get the boat to a safe place. The wearing of lifejackets (manual inflatable minimum) is not negotiable. As the boat owner I have a shared responsibility for the life of anyone who travels with me, & others around me. Don't get me wrong, I'm am a very laid-back person, & enjoying the occasion to get out on the water is a key outcome, but not at the expense of not taking the opportunity to help train anyone who's also onboard. Many hands make light work, all eyes scanning reduces the risk of collision, & including all POB in the collective management of safety makes good sense to me. I've seen too many dead or maimed over the years where I reckon a bit of well aimed coaching &/or focused supervision would have saved a life or limb.8-)

tunaticer
25-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Possibly there should be two or three checklists created for different types of boats and thier destinations.
It is highly unlikely that a lot of the details in the checklists above pertain to a 3m calm water boat for a fishing trip down at the local river.
A 4.5m boat would be capable to fish within say 2 miles of the shore in good weather but not carry all the equipment that a 7m boat that would do trips out as far as its fuel supply will safely return them to home port will.

If there was 3 different lists that the members could print out that apply to thier boat size and destinations, the mods could make them sticky so anybody could print the checklist and do physical checks and get into the routine of it before each trip.

I check all things that pertain to my boat and safety on the water in the regions I fish. I do this when setting up for every single trip regardless of how long or short it is.

Safety is everybody's responsibility on land and in the water. It should never be requiring outside assistance for safety.

Being able to call for assistance is a mandatory requirement that is all too often overlooked.

Jack.

ifishcq1
25-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I guess I must just be slack because every thing I need is in the boat ready including spare batteries for torch and handhelds

On the way to the ramp we get bait and fuel up
I use at least 1 of the boats a couple of times a week so there isn't much that doesn't get checked

For the guys that have spent their whole lives going a long way out ..all the safety stuff (and comfort stuff) becomes ritual and second nature... like checking your tyres with a glance on the way down the shed.. even if it is done unconsciously

besides I am just about due for glasses and couldn't read a list anyway

SL

Roughasguts
26-07-2008, 02:44 PM
I use to check if I have more than enough smokes for the trip and also a spare pack if one gets wet. Then I would check if theres enough booze for the trip and also enough for clean up after I get back.

But no I don't use a check list, if I did the element of surprise and adventure would be gone and that's half the fun.

datamile
27-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Check you've put your electronics and beacon to beacon back in the boat before leaving for the dock ;)

mik01
27-07-2008, 11:00 PM
i brief all POB where the jackets, epirb etc are and ensure they can operate the boat in case I am incapacitated (in case they aren't boat savvy).
takes 2mins.
whenever I get on anyone else's boat one of the first things i ask is where are the lifejackets?

2manylures
28-07-2008, 12:06 AM
This is all little too perplexing for me. I’m sure many others would feel similar as some of the comments & responses posted under this thread are extremely condescending.

HORNET RAIDER: You say there's no such thing as common sense. This & other comments posted by the few, I unfortunately experience on an almost daily basis from beaurecrats who look upon others as intellectually inferior.

Who would have thought Ausfish would become a forum for evangelists.

Perhaps you would be better advised lobbying governments to ensure a better boating education was received by those wishing to obtain a license to enjoy the pleasure of aquatic activities.

Hornet Rider
28-07-2008, 07:50 PM
This is all little too perplexing for me. I’m sure many others would feel similar as some of the comments & responses posted under this thread are extremely condescending.

HORNET RAIDER: You say there's no such thing as common sense. This & other comments posted by the few, I unfortunately experience on an almost daily basis from beaurecrats who look upon others as intellectually inferior.

Who would have thought Ausfish would become a forum for evangelists.

Perhaps you would be better advised lobbying governments to ensure a better boating education was received by those wishing to obtain a license to enjoy the pleasure of aquatic activities.

2many - not exactly sure what you mean & you may be commenting a touch out of context, but it certainly wasn't my intent to appear condescending. In the first instance, I'm not sure that Jeremy's comment was totally fair, which he self-acknowledged, in that although he may be a very experienced boat operator, it doesn't automatically mean that every other boat operator is at his level of competence. In a boating sense, and equally applicable to other activities, it would be unlikely to find an entry level individual to hold that same level of 'common sense' you refer to, as a much more experienced individual would hold. My comment had no alignment with anyone's intellectual capacity. My point was simply that what may be 'common sense' to you or others, isn't automatically common to everyone else. Which is why I prefer to not use that difficult to quantify & qualify term of 'common sense', but rather prefer to describe something in terms of either being good sense or bad sense. Making & then using a check list, which was the topic under discussion, makes good sense as it will more than likely assist in a safe & enjoyable boat outing. To not use a check list leaves the door open to forget something that could result in an unsafe or less enjoyable boat outing.

For the beginner, a formal check list would be wise. For those with much more experience, then the mental check list probably works best. I know some people have made the comment they don't have a check list, but I take those comments with the humor intended. There wouldn't be an experienced person on here who doesn't have at least a mental check list they consciously or sub-consciously tick off in the preparation, launch, operation, & recover phases of their boating.

If you want to read something condescending, then read this: Who would have thought Ausfish would become a forum for evangelists.

Hope this helps.

foxx510
28-07-2008, 09:45 PM
I guess one just has to think about how bad you would feel every day for the rest of your life if your carelessness/lack of preparation caused the injury/death of someone else. I think the checklists presented here are warranted, be they mental or on paper.

mik01
28-07-2008, 10:00 PM
i gotta admit I don't do all the things in the original list.
I guess after you become accustomed to your own boat and regularly check between trips that all is well, you would not need specifically to check everything before launch.

those that leave their boats for months at a time under a tarp, then unwrap her and launch with a 'she'll be right attitude' are the ones that perhaps require a rigorous check list.

hornet's right about the mental checklist - half of the stuff I do before even hooking the trailer up to the car is all habit and probably covers most of the important basics. Whereas when I first got the boat, I wrote out a check list and stuck to each time (note that 'insert bungs' was first, second, fifth and last on the list!!!).

I do strongly think that a quick brief on where the safety gear is on the boat should really be the first thing you do when guests are on board - whether they are experienced or not. my mates get the line 'I don't know how much you know about boats, but I'm gonna run through a couple of things anyway just in case...'

that way I don't lecture, but they get the point that if all hell breaks loose this is what they should do. my boat - my rules. that way if the worst happens I can look their families in the face and tell them I did everything possible to ensure they came home safe.

so - you come out on my boat, I'm gonna tell you where the gear is, how to use it and what to do if we go down - particularly if I am incapacitated or dead - they need to know how to bring themselves home safely.

thanks for a good thread - many newby 'lookers' on this site will learn from this

Rabies
07-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Good list.

I have only been boating for about 8 years, but as I live on Macleay Island and fix computers on Russell, Karragarra and Lamb, as well as going to the mainland a couple of times per week, I have clocked up a lot of hours (and different boats).

I still remember how little I knew when I started boating. This list is excellent for new boaties. For myself, I pretty much check all the items (some are not applicable - for instance I don't call the VMR if I am nipping over to Russell).

What is scary is that I find so many boaties are casual about going out on the water. You know, they go out once a month maybe and never think twice about either their own safety, the safety of others, or just plain good manners. If I see someone fishing (like I did at Peel last weekend), I'll try not to drive too close to them, steering around in a wide arc. What do I see the cowboys doing? Blasting away at full speed right thru 4 or 5 boats .. idiots! I bet they don't have a checklist.

Gagga08
07-08-2008, 10:24 AM
The only regular check I do is to check how much fuel I've got in the tank before each trip. I only have a small boat so I'm never too far from the ramp anywy!

CB77
08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
I dont go to the point of writing lists, Just use comon sense! I allways have a ramp ritual of checking the boat over before it goes in, know that you have the equipment a fuel for where you are going and I regulary check safety gear & have your engine serviced regulary.

This wasnt a bad thread to post as hopefully some of the dangerous CLOWNS we all regulary see at the ramp or on the water with little or no common sense will have a read and take some notice of the things that need attention when heading out on the water. ( i doubt it though as most of them probably cant even read)

It is quite amazing to see how many people take unseaworthy boats out and dont think twice about it.