PDA

View Full Version : dangerous conditions

mik01
24-07-2008, 05:43 PM
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24069173-952,00.html

I hope they find the bloke safe.

anyone know any further info on the guys rescued at Peel?

iricangi
24-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Hope they find him ok!

Looking at buying an inflatable pfd so if i go overboard i have one on already :(

mik01
24-07-2008, 06:22 PM
here's a question - what the hell is anyone doing out in the bay or beyond in weather like this? madness..

Skusto
24-07-2008, 07:15 PM
some pros tryin to make a living?

mik01
24-07-2008, 07:41 PM
some pros tryin to make a living?

not the trawler, the other blokes

Poodroo
24-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I heard an update on the radio news on my way home from work and sadly they are calling off the search based on the conditions and the fact the missing man is believed to be a poor swimmer. Such a tragedy. The only question I have is if he knows he is a poor swimmer then why would he be out in dangerous conditions and not wearing a PFD? Seems like a senseless waste of life to me.

Poodroo

ozbee
24-07-2008, 09:17 PM
i think there's more to this

ozbee
24-07-2008, 09:20 PM
there's more to this i would say.

Ryan.S
24-07-2008, 10:58 PM
That was my first thought OZBEE, but not sure. Feel for the blokes family but. Doesnt sound like a happy ending is on its way.

Hornet Rider
25-07-2008, 01:41 AM
I heard an update on the radio news on my way home from work and sadly they are calling off the search based on the conditions and the fact the missing man is believed to be a poor swimmer. Such a tragedy. The only question I have is if he knows he is a poor swimmer then why would he be out in dangerous conditions and not wearing a PFD? Seems like a senseless waste of life to me.

Poodroo

Poodroo, I worked on cray boats & wet line boats in Geralton, Dongra, Port Gregory WA over a 5 year period between 81 & 86. I don't think I ever saw a lifejacket that was at arms reach or ever worn by any of the hundred's of skippers & deckies I saw working other boats. I never put one on. Too busy working issues onboard & too invincible (read 'stupid') to wear one. The cray boats in particular go out every day, regardless of the weather to pull, empty & rebait their pots. Frightening weather sometimes. It would be fair to say that most of the skippers & deckies couldn't swim to save themselves, drank & smoked too much for their own good, & would have had marginal endurance in cold water to keep their spirit to live up if they went over. I'm not knocking them, but go & watch the trawlers go out & return in bad weather & see how many of the crew are wearing lifejackets. Same applies to recreational boating. Too many people think that they will never go overboard, or if it does happen, they'll be able to get back on board quickly. Going over cleanly is one thing, but injuring yourself as you go over can take the shine of things very fast.
As for the comments by someone else about this event being a bit sus, well how knows. The coppers & Coroner will look at that issue.

Poodroo
25-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Poodroo, I worked on cray boats & wet line boats in Geralton, Dongra, Port Gregory WA over a 5 year period between 81 & 86. I don't think I ever saw a lifejacket that was at arms reach or ever worn by any of the hundred's of skippers & deckies I saw working other boats. I never put one on. Too busy working issues onboard & too invincible (read 'stupid') to wear one. The cray boats in particular go out every day, regardless of the weather to pull, empty & rebait their pots. Frightening weather sometimes. It would be fair to say that most of the skippers & deckies couldn't swim to save themselves, drank & smoked too much for their own good, & would have had marginal endurance in cold water to keep their spirit to live up if they went over. I'm not knocking them, but go & watch the trawlers go out & return in bad weather & see how many of the crew are wearing lifejackets. Same applies to recreational boating. Too many people think that they will never go overboard, or if it does happen, they'll be able to get back on board quickly. Going over cleanly is one thing, but injuring yourself as you go over can take the shine of things very fast.
As for the comments by someone else about this event being a bit sus, well how knows. The coppers & Coroner will look at that issue.

I have been aware of this happening but to what sort of degree I was unsure of. Perhaps legislation should target these guys on the trawlers to take more responsibility for all on board because it is crazy to think that life is so obviously so expendible. These unfortunate accidents can be lessened and the grieving families reduced clearly by what you are telling us. I once went on a fishing charter boat in NSW which was not in favourable conditions and once the boat was moving all of us including the skipper were made to wear our PFD's. It's called being responsible. It was rough and nobody fell overboard but if one of us did at least we had more chances of survival than this poor fellow in the latest incident.

Poodroo