PDA

View Full Version : Dam BP servos with ethnol & no regular unleaded

SummerTrance
24-07-2008, 03:18 PM
It happened again this morning. I dont know how many times now, that i've pulled into a BP Servo to get fuel for the car or boat, only to find out that their regular unleaded petrol is 10% ethnol blended. I refuse to purchase ethnol blended fuel. The thing that really ticks me off though, is that they do not offer another regular unleaded (without ethnol) and the only other option is premium unleaded which is 10-15 cents a litre more expensive. I will not cop that, and go to the next servo instead.

Some servos ive seen that have both, charge about 2 cents a litre less for the ethnol blended the the regular unleaded (hardly worth it IMO) but what ive noticed with these BP servos, is they are charging the same price for ethnol blend, as nearby servos are for normal unleaded. I think they just hope most people dont notice.

Now I dont have a problem with servos selling ethnol blended fuel, but I do have a problem when they do not offer a non ethnol regular unleaded alternative. Once I know a servo does not offer a normal regular unleaded fuel, I will no longer stop at that servo.

Servos I know that use this practice are:

BP Travel Centre Burpengary (northbound & southbound)

BP Forest Glen

BP Travel Centre Coomera (northbound)

BP M1 Motorway southbound at the Logan Motorway exit

BP Travel Centre M1 Motorway southbound near Jacobs Well exit

BP Travel Centre Pacific Highway southbound near Kingscliffe exit NSW

snapperbasher
24-07-2008, 03:35 PM
add to that the BP at Manly

whatscracken
24-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Mate I think you'll find it pretty much standard practice for BP.

10% ethnol, Premium 95% and Ultra 98% seems to be available across the board.

I tend to use the premium for the boat anyway

Dirtysanchez
24-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Sounds like you have solved the mystery yourself, buy from Shell or another company apart from BP
I guess if you copped a tank load in your car on the highway and used it within a week you would probably not notice or have any problems, but obviously in a boat is another issue

lethal098
24-07-2008, 03:44 PM
i have been to the bp servo at burpengary quite a few times and have always been able to get std ulp without ethanol, granted i have not been there for a few weeks but surely they must offer std ulp as some cars cannot run ethanol at all, have you asked them the question??? cheers lethal

stinky-stabi
24-07-2008, 03:54 PM
the ethanol will eat away the spark plug electrode away over time running to where it starts first go and as the electrode dissappears with use, it starts every second time(uno wat i mean hey) until it gets that worn that the engine cannot fire as there is nothing for the spark to arc to as the electrode is no more

ask your mechanic im sure he will back this up

tony

FNQCairns
24-07-2008, 04:05 PM
I also read somewhere, that when they say 10% ethanol it's not as if you then have the remaining 90% of the fuel as pure and unadulterated, the remainer must also hold a goodly quantity of useless volume to 'carry' the ethanol as the ethanol is not very liked by good fuel so they nees to be forced to cohabitate - ripped at every extreme with this stuff.

cheers fnq

Maggot1
24-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Was told by a machanic not to use ethonol in boats as it draws to much moisture from the air when boat is sitting around when we have bad whether or not useing it regular.Water in fuel, not a good mix.

Chimo
24-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Simple, do not buy any fuel from BP, in my case have not for years and never planning to.

How can you trade with a company that does not provide the appropriate fuel?

Chimo

Quaker
24-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Guys, brand names mean nothing, whether the servo is shell, b.p, caltex , mobil etc. you're buying the same fuel. There's only 2 or 3 refineries in Australia & they supply the same fuel to all brands.
Dunno if it's the same for the premium fuels, but if you're buying standard unleaded, it's all the same.
Also, get used to ethanol, it won't be long & all fuel will be e10.

rowanda
24-07-2008, 10:14 PM
have you ever thought that maybe the goverment has given the fuel companies an amount of ethanol they have to sell each year? (they have)
or that the service station doesn't have enough tanks to keep all products, eg if a servo only has 4 tanks they can keep diesel, ultimate (98), premium (95) and only 1 other, when the pressure is on from the govt to sell ethanol they don't have a choice for the other. Also you'll find you should receive a 3 cent/litre discount when you buy e-10 at BP, I do (for my car)
and yes, most major brand ULP/E-10 or premium will come from the same refinery, i think the 98 is the only one that is particular to the brand. Would rather put premium in from BP than normal ULP at some dodgy no name servos (they can sell imported sh%t from overseas if they want).
and BP do say not to use e-10 in boats due to the fact not that it will "attract" water, but water can seperate the fuel and ethanol in the mixture
i just use whatever major brand fuel is where i am BP/Shell/Caltex

BaitThrower
25-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Yeah I avoid BP on the point that they sell E10 at the same price as standard ULP at other stations. Personally, I have found that the Shell servo near me gives much better mileage per tank of gas on average than the Woolworths servo across the road from it. Not sure why, but I buy Shell now where I can.

marty+jojo
25-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I never get fuel from a B.P, although i stopped at one the other day so we could buy a drink, my wife wanted a can of coke...... wait for it $2.70.
I won't go back.
Marty.
As for the E10, i have herd way to many bad things about it to risk using it.

reelchippy
25-07-2008, 09:29 AM
It happened again this morning. I dont know how many times now, that i've pulled into a BP Servo to get fuel for the car or boat, only to find out that their regular unleaded petrol is 10% ethnol blended. I refuse to purchase ethnol blended fuel. The thing that really ticks me off though, is that they do not offer another regular unleaded (without ethnol) and the only other option is premium unleaded which is 10-15 cents a litre more expensive. I will not cop that, and go to the next servo instead.

Some servos ive seen that have both, charge about 2 cents a litre less for the ethnol blended the the regular unleaded (hardly worth it IMO) but what ive noticed with these BP servos, is they are charging the same price for ethnol blend, as nearby servos are for normal unleaded. I think they just hope most people dont notice.

Now I dont have a problem with servos selling ethnol blended fuel, but I do have a problem when they do not offer a non ethnol regular unleaded alternative. Once I know a servo does not offer a normal regular unleaded fuel, I will no longer stop at that servo.

Servos I know that use this practice are:

BP Travel Centre Burpengary (northbound & southbound)

BP Forest Glen

BP Travel Centre Coomera (northbound)

BP M1 Motorway southbound at the Logan Motorway exit

BP Travel Centre M1 Motorway southbound near Jacobs Well exit

BP Travel Centre Pacific Highway southbound near Kingscliffe exit NSW

Are you saying that these bps dont sell any startard unleaded without ethonol
:o:o:o I dont go to bps but i never new that cheers

mirage
25-07-2008, 02:34 PM
A friend manages a BP on the Sunny Coast. He told me over a year ago that BP std unleaded has had ethanol in it for years, they just don't advertise the fact.

dogsbody
25-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Strange that after i used e10 couple of days later my car would have no power going up a steep hill. Filter was full of crap change filter thinking that was the problem and it was. Then used std unleaded no worries then used e10 again and same thing happened.

Haven't used e10 since and had no worries.

There's no way in hell I'm ever gonna put that shit in my boat!

Dave.

Quaker
25-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Aren't you guys listening? Regardless of the brand of fuel you buy, if you're buying regular unleaded, it's all the same shit & chances are, it's got 10% ethanol.
If you don't want ethanol, buy premium.

TimiBoy
25-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Yeah I avoid BP on the point that they sell E10 at the same price as standard ULP at other stations. Personally, I have found that the Shell servo near me gives much better mileage per tank of gas on average than the Woolworths servo across the road from it. Not sure why, but I buy Shell now where I can.

Mechanic told me the other day NOT to buy fuel from Woolworths. He said it is crap, and explained it was the reason my Son's car has been experiencing poor fuel economy. Up to 10% degradation in mileage from their crap fuel.

Cheers,

Tim

SummerTrance
25-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Quaker I think its you thats not listerning. We realise that most of our fuel comes from the same refineries, but regular unleaded (91Ron) and ethnol blended (e10) are two different things. Ethnol blended fuel must be labled as such (which BP does) and there are very strict laws about that.

When I stop at a servo, I want a choice of normal regular unleaded (91Ron) and I am not going to pay premium prices to get non ethnol blended fuel.

plaztix
25-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Ahh, the wonders of that company fuel card.8-)

I run premium in everything, cause the boss told me too.;);D

marco
25-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Aren't you guys listening? Regardless of the brand of fuel you buy, if you're buying regular unleaded, it's all the same shit & chances are, it's got 10% ethanol.
If you don't want ethanol, buy premium.

no offense mate but you have no idea what you are on about .

Quaker
25-07-2008, 06:58 PM
no offense mate but you have no idea what you are on about .

None taken.::) Mate's owned a saff servo which used to be Shell. He's owned it for 7 years now. I'll tell him to contact you for fuel advice since you know more than him.

marco
25-07-2008, 07:26 PM
None taken.::) Mate's owned a saff servo which used to be Shell. He's owned it for 7 years now. I'll tell him to contact you for fuel advice since you know more than him.
yea no worries mate , been in the game a lot longer than 7 years . i will be able to tell him exactly what he is getting .

cobiaman
25-07-2008, 10:59 PM
add to that the BP at Manly

yeah, but they sell good pies...;D;D;D

SummerTrance
26-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Mate I think you'll find it pretty much standard practice for BP.

10% ethnol, Premium 95% and Ultra 98% seems to be available across the board.

Nah its not BPs, thats what catches me out. If I knew it was all BPs, then I would never stop at them. It seems it's mostly the bigger ones that do it.

BP servos I know of for sure that sell regular (91Ron) unleaded and dont have E10 are:

BP Ashgrove

BP Ferny Grove

BP Byron Bay

BP Suffolk Park

Black_Rat
26-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Never ran E10 through the outboard ;)

Never fill up at BP (way too expensive !)

Have a company car now & put a tank of E10 into it last stop :-/

It is E10 compliant as the sticker says on the fuel cap , still divided ::)

Shall see what happens in the new car ! :-/

Should cane farmers grow cane for sugar or supply the ethonal market for E10 ????

FNQCairns
26-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Never ran E10 through the outboard ;)

Never fill up at BP (way too expensive !)

Have a company car now & put a tank of E10 into it last stop :-/

It is E10 compliant as the sticker says on the fuel cap , still divided ::)

Shall see what happens in the new car ! :-/

Should cane farmers grow cane for sugar or supply the ethonal market for E10 ????

We have a fleet car, all fuel is free if it is used for that car, the fleet demands the use of regular unleaded only, although it is modern and typically compliant with ethanol fuel.

Suspect that when the number crunchers relate their previous experience and in house data that compares overall all costs associated with running a fleet on ethanol, the ethanol blend makes for bad business practice.

cheers fnq

tunaticer
26-07-2008, 03:55 PM
I wonder when the Outboard motor companies are going to start bringing out a range of turbo/supercharged diesels onto the market?

Surely they will be more fuel efficient and better for the environment than 2s/4s petrol engines?

As for E10 fuels being sold as regular unleaded I think you will find that is crap. Way too much legal barbed wire with misrepresentation or possible damages bills to risk the chance.

I do however acknowledge that several servos around will not have tanks available for all fuel types and stock E10 as the lower grade fuel available instead of regular unleaded.

I have also noticed that every tuesday several regular pumps at most service stations have do not use signs on them for cheap fuel days. That is a scam as I have filled with these hoses with the flags on them and got fuel no problems, they are forcing upmarketting to the patrons.

Jack.

Mindi
29-07-2008, 09:40 AM
I may be wrong but I think there is some muddy thinking here...

Ethanol blended fuel is just methyl alcohol ( metho, whatever..?) added to petrol to make what the Yanks used to call gasohol.

Alcohol is hydroscopic (attracts and dissolves water) which is why many of us add some metho to our boat fuel tanks to absorb any residual water and burn it thru the combustion process in small quantities....this thinking may now be argued against, but it has worked for me for 30 years at least.

The problem in some cars and boats (including my Audi) is that you must not use alcohol blends as the alcohol can potentially damage some rubber/synthetic seals in the fuel system and dislodge the goo from their breakdown into the fuel system. I have never heard of alcohol at 10% burning plugs and it sounds very unlikely.

I dont believe there is any problem with internal combustion engines actually burning alcohol...just that some modern fuel systems have components inclined to dissolve in it...not a good look.

TimiBoy
29-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Ethanol blended fuel is just methyl alcohol ( metho, whatever..?) added to petrol to make what the Yanks used to call gasohol.

It's Ethanol, Ethyl Alcohol, or C2H5OH. Methyl is CH3OH. There you go, year 12 Chemistry, 1981!!!

Tim

BtotheM
29-07-2008, 01:30 PM
i just get premium fuel, i have never put standed in my boat, is heap cleaner , no ethnol, longer lasting (not by much) etc

Quaker
29-07-2008, 02:58 PM
It's Ethanol, Ethyl Alcohol, or C2H5OH. Methyl is CH3OH. There you go, year 12 Chemistry, 1981!!!

Tim

Not be confused with isopropyc alcohol, which boaties have been adding to fuel for years as a fuel stabilizer.:)

bluefin59
29-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I just dont use B.P full stop ,i regularly fill up at the same independent servo and only use normal unleaded without that other rubbish in it the same goes for my car .... matt