PDA

View Full Version : Question for south oz fishermen

spears
23-07-2008, 05:43 PM
I wanted to put this question to the south oz fishermen:

With the variety of fish that we have in the local metro area the biggest species that we can catch would have to be:
Shark,mulloway,snapper.

I can’t really think of any thing else that has large runs and heaps of pulling power except for port Lincoln Tuna..
Mainly talking local metro fishing.

The question is regarding reels for the above mentioned fish.
Using reels like the penn spinfishers, ABU overheads or shimano bait runners is all that should be required.

“Am I right in what I’m suggesting”.
I can’t see any advantage buying top end expensive reels when a basic reel will bring these fish in ..
Tell me what your thoughts are..

Alex The Angler
23-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I guess I see it the same way, I like to use decent gear that won't break down but you don't need the absolute top of the range stuff.
On my GP rod for instance, I have a Shimano Alivio 4000FA, it's not top of the range but it's a good little reel. It pulls the fish in fine. It has a 10 year warranty so it aint gonna break any time soon.

But that's just my 2 cents. Theres' probably a lot of people who insist on using the absolute best everything.

Atriplex
23-07-2008, 07:46 PM
There are lots of sharks and big fish down our way as well. But you'd probably be wasting your money paying the big bucks if you were only fishing the Metro areas. The fishing around Melbourne is pretty hopeless but massive sharks, Mulloway, and Snapper have all been taken this century.