PDA

View Full Version : Hot Snapper Bite

Willo
22-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Here's a bit of footage I took down the southern end Gold Coast. Had a good bite going for a couple of hours .All fish were taken on Plastics.
Due to my stupidity I accidently deleted the second tape :-[ which had the better fish as the morning progressed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wcbaQjghulA (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=wcbaQjghulA)

reddybayfisher
23-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Plenty of action Willo - awesome footage.....doesn't look like it took long to bag out....

Cobia Kid
23-07-2008, 06:21 AM
some great fish there willo, bit if a shame about the better footage being deleted,
keep em coming,
cheers,
jamie

TimiBoy
23-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Most enjoyable. Can we have a bit of detail, as in time/date/run?

Thanks, I was riveted!

Cheers,

Tim

thelump
23-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Awesome footage. Great fishing. I could just watch that stuff all day.

castlemaine
23-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Most enjoyable. Can we have a bit of detail, as in time/date/run?

Thanks, I was riveted!

Cheers,

Tim

Ditto ... rod, reel, line and rig combo details would be good too.
Great video photography, good fish, well fished and thanks for the entertainment. Keep it coming.

Cervinator
23-07-2008, 02:12 PM
nice fish there willo

love those double hook ups.
keep em comin.

cheers cervi

Willo
23-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Ditto ... rod, reel, line and rig combo details would be good too.
Great video photography, good fish, well fished and thanks for the entertainment. Keep it coming.

Yeh Guys
That session was on the 25-6-08 from around 6 am -8.30am and it was the bottom of a tide change and the start of the run in and the last quarter of the moon

The rod I was fishing is a G Loomis Mahogany L904 10-20lb Blank which I built up .
The reel is a Shimano Sustain 6000FE 08 model
At the Moment Im fishing 30lb Braid with a 30lb fluorcabon trace because I was sick of being busted up on the bottom by bigger fish (previuosly using 20lb braid and 20lb fluro leader) so moved up to 30lb to have a bit more stopping power
The second rod in the holder is a G Loomis Granite L905 12-25lb Blank which I also built. I'm running a 4500 Shimano Baitrunner on this with 25lb Platypus Super 100 with a 30lb fluor Trace . Use this set up to fish out of a rod holder.
That day was fishing 7" Gulps in Mango ripple and Sweet and sour colours and using Owner jig heads
Also was fishing NSW waters where bag limit is 10 on snapper

Cheers Willo

in2fishing
23-07-2008, 03:03 PM
As mentioned by others above, great footage, good fishing.

castlemaine
23-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeh Guys
That session was on the 25-6-08 from around 6 am -8.30am and it was the bottom of a tide change and the start of the run in and the last quarter of the moon

The rod I was fishing is a G Loomis Mahogany L904 10-20lb Blank which I built up .
The reel is a Shimano Sustain 6000FE 08 model
At the Moment Im fishing 30lb Braid with a 30lb fluorcabon trace because I was sick of being busted up on the bottom by bigger fish (previuosly using 20lb braid and 20lb fluro leader) so moved up to 30lb to have a bit more stopping power
The second rod in the holder is a G Loomis Granite L905 12-25lb Blank which I also built. I'm running a 4500 Shimano Baitrunner on this with 25lb Platypus Super 100 with a 30lb fluor Trace . Use this set up to fish out of a rod holder.
That day was fishing 7" Gulps in Mango ripple and Sweet and sour colours and using Owner jig heads
Also was fishing NSW waters where bag limit is 10 on snapper

Cheers Willo

Appreciate the info.. Happy fishing.:D 8-)

Roo
23-07-2008, 03:15 PM
thats awesome footage. real hot bite.
What depth were you finding them at?
Cheers Roo.

slyman
23-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Fantastic! Thanks for posting that up Willo, what was the biggest fish from that trip? They all looked like decent fish.

marty+jojo
23-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks for sharing Willo, that is the best Snapper fishing i have ever seen.....
Hope to see more of your vids soon.
Marty.

Willo
23-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Fantastic! Thanks for posting that up Willo, what was the biggest fish from that trip? They all looked like decent fish.

Yeh Slyman
Best fish on video was about 8kg then after that got a couple of 8kg and a 9kg

Yeh Roo
Was fishin in 80-90 ft of water

Pics of catch that day

Local_Guy
23-07-2008, 06:55 PM
awesome catch, and a great video.. watched this today at work with no sound, but i had to watch it again with sound at home.

Willo. did you know what depth the fish were sitting at, or did you just drop the jig to the bottom, wind up a metre and let the boat action do the trick with the plastics ????

love it.

BtotheM
23-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Awesome stuff, awesome footage

Well DOne

caliban
23-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Excellent video.

Just out of interest when the second rod goes off in the rod holder, I notice you do something with the reel - does this let the fish run with the lure until you get the first fish in and can then get to the second rod?

Just curious because I often have my second rod go off when I'm fighting a good fish on my first rod and have never been able to work out a good system to get both fish from a double hook-up.

Cheers,

Chris

MEGA'bite
23-07-2008, 08:40 PM
welldone willo better than watching the fishing shows on tele

Willo
23-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Excellent video.

Just out of interest when the second rod goes off in the rod holder, I notice you do something with the reel - does this let the fish run with the lure until you get the first fish in and can then get to the second rod?

Just curious because I often have my second rod go off when I'm fighting a good fish on my first rod and have never been able to work out a good system to get both fish from a double hook-up.

Cheers,

Chris

Yeh Cris
With the rod in the Holder I'm using a Shimano Baitrunner.On this rod I use a Heavier Jig Head than I am using while fishing the other rod. I cast this out about the distance of the depth of water I'm fishing and give it a little bit more line, then close the Bail arm and set the reel in Baitrunner mode When rod gets Hit I give the handle a couple of turns and it clicks into the Main drag setting which is set with a lot of drag on to stop the fish tacking too much line before I can get to it.
The reason I use a Heay jig head on this set up is to keep the Soft Plastic deep on the drift and it also keeps it clear of the rod I am fishing.

Willo

Dantren
24-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Great footage Willo,

I take it you are on the drift - no berley????

Good on you
Dan.

Outsider1
24-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks for sharing Willo and well done!.

That is some great footage, and your replies to questions have been first class!. I have learnt heaps. Your rod work is a pleasure to watch.

Cheers

Dave

reelchippy
24-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Mate best vid i have seen in a long time and thanks for the info.cheers
Ps i would be happy with just one of those fish

Benno1
24-07-2008, 12:30 PM
man...i should have taken my Travacalm before watching that :P
Primo catch and footage Willo...appreciate it :D

(Mrs Benno1)

Willo
24-07-2008, 12:51 PM
awesome catch, and a great video.. watched this today at work with no sound, but i had to watch it again with sound at home.

Willo. did you know what depth the fish were sitting at, or did you just drop the jig to the bottom, wind up a metre and let the boat action do the trick with the plastics ????

love it.
Yeh Local Guy
That Day good size Bait schools were reading up on the mark with a couple of fish reading up in the bottom third of water colum. So just kept drifting over and around that mark.As I was drifting was just casting letting sink to bottom the given line a few flicks every now and then and let a little line out as your moving away from Soft Plastic. then wind in and repeat And the boats movement was giving the the rod in the holder its action

Dan
Was on the drift and not using any burley

Willo

Chong
24-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Great Vid Willo,
you are a very efficient fish catching machine :) great work.
Cheers,
Chong
PS what was your camera set up??

Timfishin4fun
24-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Top work Willo!!!

Inspiring to say the least.

Tim

bluefin59
24-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Some great plastic fishing there mate appreciate the tips ...matt

Willo
24-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Great Vid Willo,
you are a very efficient fish catching machine :) great work.
Cheers,
Chong
PS what was your camera set up??

Hi Chong
I have a mount on the Bow rail of my boat which I attach a sony handy cam in a water proof housing
Willo

Chong
24-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Mate, your set up does a great job, and i see you know the frame set up, little close ups and all, i like it. look forward to seeing some more Willo Water Wonders8-) ;)
Cheers

SummerTrance
24-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Thats bloody fantastic Willo, the kind of sess most of us dream about! Thats a great video setup you've got there aswell. Like chong said, you are very aware of the frame window you have and keep all the action within. Not as easy as you make it look. Well done!

p.s I can see why you changed to using the gaff. That first fish was twice as big as the net!

For Steve
24-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Awesome Willo. Congratulations on such a hot session. Better than the fishing shows.

Also, thanks for sharing some techniques. It was very informative.

Look forward to your next production.

Cheers
Brad

jareyjareyjareyjarey
25-07-2008, 08:55 PM

love it.

you watched it with no sound, that was the best bit. i love that sound of the line whizzing of like that. what sort of boat you got?

slyman
25-07-2008, 09:23 PM
you watched it with no sound, that was the best bit. i love that sound of the line whizzing of like that. what sort of boat you got?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;D ;D

love it!

WyldFisher
27-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Nice footage and nice fish Willo!

What brand/model was the boat you were fishing from?

Willo
27-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Nice footage and nice fish Willo!

What brand/model was the boat you were fishing from?

Boat is a Quintrex 4.2 Wide Body Dory

cobiaman
27-07-2008, 03:50 PM
wow, what a great morning, well done willo

whatscracken
27-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Great footage there Willo, couldn't ask for a better session by the looks of that!

Kleyny
28-07-2008, 07:24 PM
WOW what a video.
I've been watching/ downloading the years of AFC and your video was better than them.

What brand of rod hold are you using? there is no way i would do that to my old mans holder, I would lose the rod for sure.

neil

Willo
28-07-2008, 10:16 PM
WOW what a video.
I've been watching/ downloading the years of AFC and your video was better than them.

What brand of rod hold are you using? there is no way i would do that to my old mans holder, I would lose the rod for sure.

neil

Thanks Neil
The Rod Holders are-- Scotty Striker Rod Holder--,the extended arms are spring loaded to absorb load

Willo

murf
29-07-2008, 04:41 PM
top stuff Willo

thanks for the vid :)

I gotta say my snapper catchin has been very poor of late ( shut up chong and others :) ) and this vid has spured me on

the gecko
11-08-2008, 04:10 PM
So whos the cameraman? How could he resist not grabbing a rod when theres a double hookup? Obviously someone who doesnt fish.....

Thanks for the detailed info, very interesting.

Andrew

BigE
11-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Nice work willo ...... superb gaff work you could teach some of the deckies i've take a thing or two. gotta love those scotty rod holders, got scotty sidewinders myself very similar in action.

BigE

RUSSO
12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Well Done.... Top Video Keep Up The Good Work......play!

Cheers Russo

Willo
12-08-2008, 05:13 PM
So whos the cameraman? How could he resist not grabbing a rod when theres a double hookup? Obviously someone who doesnt fish.....

Thanks for the detailed info, very interesting.

Andrew

Hi Andrew
The Cam is in a waterproof housing mounted on the Bow rail of me Tinnie.
Just leave it running all the time and keep changing the tape every 90 mins
Cheers Willo

Dean1
17-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Mate excellent footage and nice snap there, pity about the 2nd video doesnt that just give ya the shits!! Looked like a walk in the park for you, great fishing keep it up ;)

RayB
23-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Excellent footage mate! Can't wait for next one.

cheers
Raymond

tsea
23-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Wow just amazing stuff. Good to read about your rod holders.
Gee you really do have some of the best video footage. I love the palmy bait school and the jumping shark.
Thanks for sharing so much info about gear.

Cheers
TC

gillogs
31-08-2008, 07:02 AM
awesome stuff willow,just traded my 420 dory its done a good job but 3 years of beach launching in soft sided boat starting to ding up a bit.great footage on ya vid takes the shine off a slow session when ya get em on the chew like that.....if only half ya trips onto the ocean would produce the goods like that!!!!magic

gillogs
31-08-2008, 07:03 AM
awesome stuff willow,just traded my 420 dory its done a good job but 3 years of beach launching in soft sided boat starting to ding up a bit.great footage on ya vid takes the shine off a slow session when ya get em on the chew like that.....if only half ya trips onto the ocean would produce the goods like that!!!!magic stuff

boodo
03-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Wilo, that was the best I have seen :D Keep them coming, and thanks for the tips.

Really enjoyed it Nick.

moorie86
03-09-2008, 10:17 PM
What a guy.

You post a great video, and then answer everyones questions giving full detail. I a learnt a lot from watching and reading this post and i am very thankfull.
Well done.

Cheers, Cam.

metaloid
04-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Very nice!!! I want that mark! ;D;D;D

gawby
11-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Willo,
I watched your video with amazement.
I must congratulate you on sharing so much info
with others on your fishing techniques.
It is people like you who share this information that
help other make fishing more enjoyable and loose
the frustration of not really knowing what to do.
TOP SHELF.
Graeme

wayno60
14-09-2008, 05:44 PM
talk about being in the right place at the right time......we're you late for work that morning??

good stuff..

fish-n-dive
14-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Geez, I'm glad I live in the tropics and don't have to wear all that cold/wet weather gear.......... well done anyway and thanks for sharing mate!!!

brute898
03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Great catches mate. I caught my first snapper last year their great fun. I am going to try using plastics late this year. What do you do with the plastics, did you just let them sit on the bottom or were you jigging them? Some tips would be great.
Anyway goodluck for next time mate.

Willo
03-02-2009, 06:57 PM
hi brute 898
On page one and two I give a brief description of how i fish plastics .and I always drift fish
Cheers Willo

brute898
03-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the tips Willo, hopefully I can get out there and catch my first snapper on a plastic. Once again thanks for sharing all your tips.
Keep up the great fishing