PDA

View Full Version : surely this is dodgy??

mik01
22-07-2008, 07:44 PM
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2959923

darkside
22-07-2008, 07:46 PM
you have to work on the principle " if it sounds too good to be true it is" you would assume that would have to be some sort of dodgy scam , or the bargain of the century !

soggy1
22-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Something funny about it the way the rego numbers are covered.Maybe an angry wife who's hubby spends to much time fishing.;D ;D Is there any such thing spending to much time fishing i think not.

spears
22-07-2008, 07:51 PM
could be deceased estate

timddo
22-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Could be a special price. You would need to check the hull number and trailer to see if it was stolen first. Never know The husband mite have told the wife,, Ummm i only brought the boat for $12 000 new. Maybe divorce, widow selling the boat.

Outsider1
22-07-2008, 07:56 PM
There are a few clues there that this is a hijacked ad;

1) the following seller comments;

"Please contact me HERE : s.atkinson01@yahoo.com ... Do NOT contact me by BOATPOINT SYSTEM because your email will go in work email and I will access that email next week."

2) The contact Phone number has been XXXxx out

3) all identifying numbers have been blanked out in the photos i.e. boat rego and trailer rego plate.

Definitely a shonky ad. Has anyone alerted Boatpoint yet?.

Cheers

Dave

FNQCairns
22-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Certainly dodgy, lets all email his Yahoo address and act VERY interested:)

cheers fnq

fez
22-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Not dodgy in fact I am acting as the "agent" just make out a cash cheque to.........:-X ;D ;D

Just hurry with the cheque I have a plane to catch;D ;D 8-)

datamile
22-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Email address last used to sell a car in Canada

Reel Nauti
22-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Email sent, waiting on a response.

Dave

HH565L
22-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Last week there was a Haines advertised on Boatpoint with "Do NOT contact me by BOATPOINT SYSTEM because your email will go in work email and I will access that email next week" in the opening line of the description.

The URL for that one was http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2959760 . It hs now been removed.

Same scam, possibly same scam artist.

Regards,
Spiro

bigjimg
22-07-2008, 08:56 PM
I would be careful sending anything to that email address.If they can hijack someones ad imagine what they could do with your email details possibly hack into your computer etc etc etc.Curiosity killed the cat you know!Jim

Reel Nauti
22-07-2008, 09:10 PM
I'll be surprised if the ad has been hijacked. It might certainly be bogus, from a bogus poster, but I doubt it is someone else's ad which has then been hijacked. Sometimes fact can be stranger than fiction, as we all know. Let's see what sort of a response I get, if any, and I'll let you all know.

Cheers

Dave
Ps: There have been genuine boats for sale on Ausfish which have had identifying numbers whited out. Reason: some people are concerned that an undesirable might locate the address.

CB77
22-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi,

You do have to be carefull on boatpoint, when I was looking for my new boat in the last few months I found a heap of fraudulent ads on Boatpoint.

Usually they list an australian address but there numbers & email are from indonesia, and they hope to at least get a deposit from you.

When I came across the ads i reported them to Boat point who quickly removes the ads. Most of the ads where for Searays, Bayliners etc, I have seen a few aussie runabouts latley.

I had a bit of fun with one clown from indonesia, using an anonymous email and name, I kept the little bugger hanging on for weeks telling him I was paying the deposit & told him I had 3 mates who wanted boats and had big deposits, he got all excited & as was going to throw in all this extra gear every time he emailed. When I told him to get F#@%% he went off his nut.

levinge
23-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Reminds me of a situation back in the mid 80's when a mate was looking through the newspaper down in Sydney and spied an add for a Jaguar XJS for $100. Nah can't be true, but to his credit he rang the number and the bloke on the other end said yes it was true.

Divorces are such a bitch, his money and she wanted half of everything, so I guess her $50 went along way at Gucci.

But as for this one, all I can say is "Buyer Beware" do the checks

Reel Nauti
23-07-2008, 08:21 AM
No word yet.

Dave

Hornet Rider
23-07-2008, 08:45 AM
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2959923

mik01 & all - yes this a scam. This is the original add posted on eBay by the owners mate last week. I was talking to owner last week. He's south of Nowra & it's a genuine sale for offers starting from about $32K. Boat regularly serviced in Nowra etc etc

Has anyone reported it to Boat Point? I'll give the owner a call just so he knows.

Good pick up mik01

wags on the water
23-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Interesting ad. Being the stirrer I am, I've sent an email too.

Wags

the gecko
23-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Be careful guys. Most of these scams are run by professional crims with whiz kids at the keyboards. They have new trojans and malware that your antivirus software hasnt even heard of yet.

Just because theres no attachement in their email, doesnt mean they dont have your ip and do a port scan looking for a backdoor. Then they can put a keystroke recorder in.

Playing with scammers is dangerous. Theyre better at it than you are.

Stay safe.

Andrew

Local_Guy
23-07-2008, 01:26 PM
all i can say for those who are sending your e-mails.... bring on the spam.

hope you've used a fake account.

DR
23-07-2008, 01:31 PM
i have posted it before, but if you want to play with these 'people' go here & read some funny stuff & get some ideas..
http://www.thescambaiter.com/

mik01
23-07-2008, 02:48 PM
yeah thats a funny website - gets the scammers right where it hurts!

Reel Nauti
23-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the well wishes Local Guy. I am sure any member of the public who has responded to the ad also appreciates your comment.

There is no indication the ad was run by a scammer. There is every indication it has been run by someone looking to make a quick buck.

If a response is forthcoming to my email, I can assure you it will be looked at closely, with an authority.

Security measures have been taken, in the event of risk.

Cheers

Dave

mitch92
23-07-2008, 04:20 PM
i love the fact the add says it is a multi-hull boat :D

Outsider1
23-07-2008, 05:45 PM
The ad has now been removed.

Cheers

Dave

Reel Nauti
24-07-2008, 11:02 AM
A reply to my email has not been forthcoming.

Cheers all

Dave

Reel Nauti
24-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I received a response to my email at 1500hrs today. The owner alleges she is in the UK, pay 5k into an account first up blah blah blah.

It is now being investigated, and I'll keep you informed.

Cheers

Dave