PDA

View Full Version : NZ Salmon

Jim_Tait
22-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Just spent a couple weeks in NZ on a family winter holiday - managed to find time to target a few fish including the local salmon population which I found responded well to soft plastics on a heavy jig head counted down to get them to the depth the salmon were holding at - Jim

Ryan.S
22-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Nice work mate. I never leave home without a light fishing rod in the Hilux just in case. My wife just loves stopping on out holidays for a fish. NOT! Good to See

NAGG
22-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Good Stuff Jim ....... I'd love to have a crack at those South Island Salmon ....... They grow pretty big:P

Nagg

2manylures
22-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Well done mate!

Don't salmon's fighting abilities make trout look rather ordinary?

bdowdy
23-07-2008, 07:30 AM
great stuff jim always good to catch a new species and in anew country. cheers bdowdy..brett

Jim_Tait
23-07-2008, 09:20 AM
The one in the picture gave a good account of himself - generally though they were not far removed from browns - lost a big rainbow in another part of the country which hit like a freight train (thought I'd been broken off at first) - did see some humungous dead post spawn salmon around 30 - 40 lbs - rekon they'd go all right on light gear! - Jim

murrayscod
23-07-2008, 10:13 AM
hi Jim,

heading over to both islands in a few weeks. just wondering where you got that one and what sort of plastics work. any other spots would be great.

cheers Luke

Jim_Tait
23-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Luke,

it would be giving away a 'honey hole' site a local provided to me, to give you the exact site I got the salmon but check out the great info in the nzfishing.com web site specifically at http://www.nzfishing.com/AboutFishingInNZ/BestPlacestoFish.htm

regards - Jim