PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga & Monduran 17th - 20th July

JEKS
22-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi All,

Got the fishing bug in us again, so we decided to go fishing. Thursday afternoon we took off and got on the water at Awoonga at 5:15pm, we fished till 7:45pm, we got 4 barra. Dad got 2 96cm and 86cm on a shallow Viper. Mum got a 70cm shallow Ecogrear and i got a 98cm on tango dancer,

We came home, and decided that we had to go fishing again cause it was a awesome session, considering it is the middle of winter. So friday we packed up and left again at 3:30pm, headed off to Awoonga. On the water at 5:00pm, fished till 10pm for 1 fish. The weather and water was different to thursday night. But we enjoyed it. I got a 91cm on a Storm Shad 15cm long, neat looking plastic.
So we camped the night, next morning we were off to Monduran. Got on the water at about 11am, as we were waiting for the water to warm up. We sounded around looking for the warmer water. Got to a spot, 20 degrees, and just started fishing it, we found shallow bays, 1m - 4m. About 2:00pm mum got the first fish of 93cm and then we fished through to 10pm, got to cold. I landed another 4 fish in that time, and they were 92cm, 116cm, 113cm, 94cm. The 113cm was caught on a tango dancer. Awesome sight!!

Sunday Morning on the water at 9am, It was a different day again, come in really cloudy all morning, which didn't help the water temp to rise. We fished all morning for nothing, wasnt till 1:30pm that i got another fish. 104cm on a tango dancer. With this fish I picked it up but stumbled and the fish flipped, I managed to get it back on the floor, but in doing so, the fishes anal fin stabbed my fingers, went through 1 finger and into the other. But Still great fun. ;D ;D
We had to do some major first aid on the fingers, but they are ok.
We kept fishing till 3pm and then it was all over, we had to go home.:(

We had a Great Weekend and really enjoyed it.

At both dams we had a lot of hookups but didn't land them.

Cheers Katie

Heres a few photos.

Whitto
22-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Well done Mum Dad & Katie......what a weekend U guys definatedly had a ball apart from the anal fin fiasco:'(....Thanks for the Report and Photo's....Well done....Cheers Whitto:D

Steve B
22-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Katie,

what can I say, Your a freak fisho!! great fish. Look like you were stuggling a bit with the big night photo!! Fat fish hey!!! Now I wished I have of come out for a fish with you guys!!

All the best, talk soon. Did you use the new line???

Steve

JEKS
22-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks Whitto, yeah we had a great weekend. The Fingers are a bit sore now.

Cheers Katie

JEKS
22-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey Steve,

No, havent used the new line yet. Yeah they were very heavy fish, the 113cm was heavier then the 116cm, and fat too. You would have had a great time.

Cheers Katie

the_matrix
22-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Great report Katie, well done on some nice captures. Topwater fun is about as good as it gets hey.
Nothing like enjoying winter barra on a quiet lake without many about.
Cheers
Jas

JEKS
22-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks Jas,
Topwater is great fun. It was quiet on the Dams and the fish came on the chew.

Cheers Katie

kamiza
22-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Katie

What a great report, & gr8 pics as well got me itchin to go to lake prosepine now, I still have terrific memories of my first trip to Monduran and my first barra.

Thanks for the informative report hopefully I will reciprocate with a report on prossy.

Cheers

Mark

themissus
22-07-2008, 01:36 PM
OUCH!!!
Besides the finger, it's sounds like a great trip. Can't wait to get up there again.
Cheers Kim.

JEKS
22-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks Mark,

Faust is a good dam, We go there regularly. It would be good to get a report from you.

Cheers Katie

JEKS
22-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks Kim,

Same here, we can't wait to get back there again.

Cheers Katie

NAGG
22-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Looks like you had a great family trip Katie ( I see that the rumors of you being a barra magnet are well founded:P )......... Well done on those lovely barra!

Ouch on the fingers :'( .... Thanks for the great report

Cheers
Nagg

warrior
22-07-2008, 05:07 PM
hi katie AL and SHAZ here great stuff sounds like you had a top trip,shaz is keen to meet up again and learn a few more of your tricks ,we will be up at awoonga soon

JEKS
22-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Nagg, I never knew that i was a barra magnet.

JEKS
22-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi AL and SHAZ

How you going? Would like to meet up with you again. You'll have to send my a PM and let me know when you are fishing awoonga next and i might be able to catch up with you.

Thanks
Cheers Katie

darylive
22-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Katie,

Sounds like we should all be on tender hooks waiting for the 'Barra Magnet' to announce her next trip to turn the fish on :D;
but then again maybe the fish all go to you.

P.S. get some gloves :'(

JEKS
22-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. I love my fishing, mad keen, I try and get out and fish as much as i can, and i catch a few.

Cheers Katie

BR65
22-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Some great chrome fish there katie, wonderfully conditioned barra, no wonder the place is like a magnet to us IBD patients, well done and a good report

ouch on the fingers, thats gotta hurt
cheers
brian

JEKS
22-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks Brian,

The Monduran barra are well fed, they are really fat.
The IBD is bad once you get it.

Cheers Katie

Big_Ren
22-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Great going Katie. You are an inspiration to us all. And I thought the rest of us were keen. You redefine the word::)

Congratulations to you and your family on a top weekend out. That's what it is all about.

Cheers
Paul

BR65
22-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks Brian,

The Monduran barra are well fed, they are really fat.
The IBD is bad once you get it.

Cheers Katie

yup, some of those fish have been grazeing in a good paddock for sure
the IBD?, only known cure is repeated exposure to a barra dam;D

JEKS
22-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks for that Paul, appreicate it. Hopefully the fishing can only get better.

Cheers Katie

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
23-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Katie,
I hope your are documenting all of your fishing action. Writing your diary etc Taking more photos than ever. You can use that to your own advantage in the future. Congrats on the fish and the smiles with the family.
Keep it up.
Regards,
Johnny

JEKS
23-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi Johnny,
Thanks for the reply and advice. I will start doing that.

Cheers Katie