PDA

View Full Version : Facilities @ 1770?

rat_catcher
21-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Anybody familiar with 1770? Are there any locations a car and trailer can be left for a couple of days in a secure environment? What are the facilities like? Is there a public pontoon to tie up to after launching? Do tides need to be considered when leaving the creek/river/whatever it is? Is there a bar to worry about at the entrance?

Vitamin Sea
21-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi

Just spent a month up there,

No secure facilities for car and trailer, just general parking area
No public pontoon
On a low tide you do have to stick to the channel when leaving the ramp, don't blindly stick to the beacons, they are not accurate.
When you leave the ramp and enter the main channel, head towards the bank on the opposite side, deeper water runs along there.
Never found the bar to be much of a problem, even though there isn't much water there, as you go around the last green, head NNE, you will see the line.

Cheers

Bill

roz
21-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Anybody familiar with 1770? Are there any locations a car and trailer can be left for a couple of days in a secure environment? What are the facilities like? Is there a public pontoon to tie up to after launching? Do tides need to be considered when leaving the creek/river/whatever it is? Is there a bar to worry about at the entrance?

Hi,

I spend quite a lot of time at Agnes Water/1770, so I will be happy to give an opinion or help in anyway I can.

I would consider the parking area at the boat ramp to be secure. I've been fishing out of 1770 for almost 20 years and NEVER had a problem, I've never heard of anyone else having issues. Of course there is always the first time, we all know that.

The boat ramp(s) there are two along side one another, are good for any sized boat even at low tide.

There is a marina there, only a small one and is privately owned, however you can fuel your boat from the pontoon if need be. If you wish to anchor in the inlet, you will have to make your own arrangements. You will see where all the larger boats live.

If you are new to the area and have never gone out to sea from the inlet, I would suggest you use the making tide. I really wouldn't call it a 'bar', although some would disagree there. I take my boat out there on all tides... having said that it's a seafarer VC and wouldn't draft much on the plane, however the BIG cat that takes all the tourists out to Lady Musgrave goes on any tide.

There are chanel markers, which you will need to stick to at low tide. At high tide there is a quick way out straight across from the boat ramp (if you are heading up to Bustard) if heading out to the wides etc etc the front is quickest. Can get a bit joggley on the bottom of the back tide with a NE blowing, however if I can manage it anyone can.

The people at the Marina are very, very helpeful regarding local info.

PM me if you need more detail.

all the best & catch heaps
roz

MyWay
22-07-2008, 12:30 AM
I was there last Saturday mine channel it very shallow some parts go down to just 2 f . i sagest taking out on coming tide . Bar is very safe.
beacons don't have lights on so it is hard to navigate at night
locals are very friendly people
there is two driveways on rumps on low tide are very shallow and only one you can use
car park at ramp is very safe place to live car
caravan park not far from rump
can not wait to go back very nice place to visit

my way

rat_catcher
22-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. On the day I plan on leaving there it will be high tide at about 0930 so should be fine with departing on a flood tide. The boat is a Signature 702L with a Suzuki DF250 and we will be heading out wide and then to overnight at Lady Musgrave.

I was reading some old posts and the local tackleshop owner used to post online here a bit, does anybody know if he is still active?

The car and trailer will be left there for two nights.

Vitamin Sea
23-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. On the day I plan on leaving there it will be high tide at about 0930 so should be fine with departing on a flood tide. The boat is a Signature 702L with a Suzuki DF250 and we will be heading out wide and then to overnight at Lady Musgrave.

I was reading some old posts and the local tackleshop owner used to post online here a bit, does anybody know if he is still active?

The car and trailer will be left there for two nights.

Hi again

Tony is not active on this site for various reasons, however, drop in and see him, really nice bloke and family, will provide advice to you no problem, knows the area inside out.

Cheers

VS

whichway
23-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi

A related question - what is the best place to stop offshore from 1770 (ie the best anchorage) for a trailerboat.

WW

rat_catcher
24-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi

A related question - what is the best place to stop offshore from 1770 (ie the best anchorage) for a trailerboat.

WW
I haven't been there _yet_ but after looking all over the charts, reading Noel Patrick's Curtis Coast book and researching on Ausfish I would say Lady Musgrave or Fitzroy Reef.