PDA

View Full Version : VMR Brisbane now monitoring new channels

TheRealAndy
21-07-2008, 06:57 PM
There has been a recent upgrade of the equipment at VMR Brisbane, or VMR401. The are now monitoring the following channels:

VHF

27MHz

Nothing has been stated about HF, so not sure if they are still monitoring it. Will follow up on this one.

charleville
21-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks for this info but which VMR is VMR Brisbane?

TheRealAndy
21-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Sorry, VMR Brisbane is the one located at Shorncliffe. Don't know why it is VMR Brisbane, but it is!

charleville
21-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Sorry, VMR Brisbane is the one located at Shorncliffe. Don't know why it is VMR Brisbane, but it is!

Many thanks for clarifying that.

Names are a bit confusing.

Currently, the Manly Coastguard calls themselves Brisbane Coast Guard and I am pretty sure that I remember Lloyd at VMR Viccy Point say in one of his radio courses that Viccy Point used to call themselves Brisbane Coast Guard or something very similar.

Until you mentioned it, I did not even know that there was a VMR at Shorncliffe. When I am out fishing on weekdays, I hear Coast Guard Redcliffe and I know of VMRs Victoria Point, Raby Bay and Redland Bay and Coast Guard Manly/Brisbane but I was unaware of Shornclifffe's existence. I mention all of this because it seems inappropriate for them to call themselves VMR Brisbane accordingly. It would be more helpful to boaties if they called themselves VMR Shorncliffe, I reckon.

Nonetheless, I am deviating off topic which is an evil thing to do and I should not do that. Your information is very appreciated. Many thanks.

QF3 MROCP
24-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Just remember, when all the others are closed... Redcliffe is there to listen.. :)))

Hornet Rider
24-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Many thanks for clarifying that.

Names are a bit confusing.

Currently, the Manly Coastguard calls themselves Brisbane Coast Guard and I am pretty sure that I remember Lloyd at VMR Viccy Point say in one of his radio courses that Viccy Point used to call themselves Brisbane Coast Guard or something very similar.

Until you mentioned it, I did not even know that there was a VMR at Shorncliffe. When I am out fishing on weekdays, I hear Coast Guard Redcliffe and I know of VMRs Victoria Point, Raby Bay and Redland Bay and Coast Guard Manly/Brisbane but I was unaware of Shornclifffe's existence. I mention all of this because it seems inappropriate for them to call themselves VMR Brisbane accordingly. It would be more helpful to boaties if they called themselves VMR Shorncliffe, I reckon.

Nonetheless, I am deviating off topic which is an evil thing to do and I should not do that. Your information is very appreciated. Many thanks.

I digress also QF & apologise in advance but I empathise with charleville on the CG & VMR use of 'Brisbane'. Was on the Bay last Saturday for Mud via the Brissy river. Put a departure call out to CG Brisbane thinking they would be the most relevant & closest but got no comms from Lytton until I was abeam Patricks, then comms was only about 2 x 2, very weak & barely readable. 3 mth old GME GX600 on hi power with AE50 aerial. Base of aerial is 2m above water line, tip is 3.2m. Poor old girl on the Rx end at CG Brissy was going spare trying to decipher my fractured calls & I was in the doubt zone about my VHF. Couldn't believe the VHF was at fault so I asked her to verify her location. Manly, of course, was the reply. Silly me! No wonder she thought I was useless on radio.

Might be a touchy subject for some in the VMR or CG but it's time the call signs were rationalised to reflect their actual location.

Thanks for your info on channels now monitored by VMR 'Shorncliffe' aka Brisbane.

Taroona
25-07-2008, 07:26 AM
The problem i have found is sometimes i get a bit confused about who is VMR and who is CG so when you make a mistake and call CG Location when it should be VMR Location nobody responds. So maybe not just sort out locations, that is Shorncliffe, Brisbane , Manly but maybe the prefix as well.

Les

Spaniard_King
25-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Might be handy if there was a sheet of SEQ rescue organisations and what they monitor.. does this exist?? anyone know?

Hornet Rider
25-07-2008, 08:03 AM
The problem i have found is sometimes i get a bit confused about who is VMR and who is CG so when you make a mistake and call CG Location when it should be VMR Location nobody responds. So maybe not just sort out locations, that is Shorncliffe, Brisbane , Manly but maybe the prefix as well.

Les

That's a very good lateral thought Les. They could all use the prefix for example 'Marine Rescue Oopdeedoop' or something like that, & at the same time they could retain their VMR or CG formal status names without having to go through the agony of a formal name change, new name tags, letter heads, signs etc etc etc

For any VMR or CG stalwarts on the side, I'm not attacking your organisations. You all do a sterling job & fill a huge gap, but your call sign naming process needs product improvement to reduce confusion.

Hornet Rider
25-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Might be handy if there was a sheet of SEQ rescue organisations and what they monitor.. does this exist?? anyone know?

Garry,

And that's a good idea too. Could also be made as a sticker for the console.

Marlin_Mike
25-07-2008, 02:18 PM

You will find the list here Spaniard King and abyone else interested

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Marine_radios/Marine_radio_contacts/

Mike

Spaniard_King
25-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks Mike.. I put it in a PDF for anyone else who might want a printable copy

;D

Kiwijohn
25-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for that.

Just to confirm the call sign for the VMR at Shorncliff which is VMR Brisbane is "VMR Sandgate" not "VMR Brisbane"????

Taroona
25-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks for that.

Just to confirm the call sign for the VMR at Shorncliff which is VRM Brisbane is "VMR Sandgate" not "VMR Brisbane"?

I'll have to take a bex I'm more confused now

TheRealAndy
26-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks for that.

Just to confirm the call sign for the VMR at Shorncliff which is VMR Brisbane is "VMR Sandgate" not "VMR Brisbane"????

IT is VMR Brisbane, but the will answer VMR Shorncliffe and VMR Sandgate. I always use the call sign, VMR401 so there is never any mistake.

ozscott
26-07-2008, 08:59 AM
I printed a list a while ago, laminated it and it sits on my dash, and it makes calling up the VMR/CG easy.

Cheers

whichway
26-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi

I hate to admit this, but I am a bit hazy of which channels to use.

16, 67 - emergency

For CG Brisbane - 81 for just logging on

Is that the same for VMR Sandgate

And is there radio silence on all channels every half hour, or is that just the emergency channels.

And what is the relay channel at cape moreton. Are there any other relay channels that you would use in SEQ.

Is that right? I know I really should know this, so please don't tell me that. (I have the license, but it was quite a few years ago).

Whichway

TheRealAndy
28-07-2008, 08:43 AM
16 is emergency, 67 is a backup. IF you call VMR or Coastgard on 16, they will normally tell you to go to 67. If you want to log in use 67.

Also, if you are calling a coastgard station, state the channel you are calling on. The radio operators are monitoring a lot of channels and it is much easier to answer a call when they know which channel you called on.

Cheech
28-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Just thought I would post a replacement PDF because a couple of them chopped off some of the channels. Mooloolaba was only showing 81 on the other pdf.

Cheech

QF3 MROCP
28-07-2008, 08:45 PM
It's great to see the information flow with the channels and "Who's Listening"

Just one recommendation if you're going to a new location is to phone ahead first and check the currency of the published information. All the VMR & Coast Guards are known as "Limited Coast Stations" and as you can see they operate at different hours and channels monitored may change - not often, but they do, so check first.

TheRealAndy
28-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Also worth noting that the orange 'tide guide' books also list Stations and call signs

QF3 MROCP
28-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi

I hate to admit this, but I am a bit hazy of which channels to use.

16, 67 - emergency

For CG Brisbane - 81 for just logging on

Is that the same for VMR Sandgate

And is there radio silence on all channels every half hour, or is that just the emergency channels.

And what is the relay channel at cape moreton. Are there any other relay channels that you would use in SEQ.

Is that right? I know I really should know this, so please don't tell me that. (I have the license, but it was quite a few years ago).

Whichway

Hi Whichway

Attached is a document with a few links to help you update your knowledge.

Radio silence is for the calling VHF channel 16 and 27Meg 88, plus a few MF/HF

For logging in - the local VMR or CG will direct you to their preferred channel in the area if you make the initial call on 16. CG Redcliffe will be 73. To save time, you can go straight to using the working channel 73

Cape Moreton: repeater channel 21