PDA

View Full Version : Evans Head Fishing Classic 2008 Our week that was

stonecold
21-07-2008, 02:07 PM
In the lead up to this years Evans Head Fishing Classic I was more than a little dubious about our chances of getting much fishing in. The last 3 classics have yielded only a handful of fishable days due to deep low systems making the bar impossible to cross. Given the weather over the past 6 months I thought our chances of fishing more than a couple of days were slim. A week out and I was pleasantly suprised by the large stable high pressure system covering most of the country. As it turned out this year was the only classic in its history where you could cross the bar and fish outside each and every day...glorious!8-)

So I arrived at Evans on Friday arv and set up camp had a quick look at the bar...flat as, slight NW breeze beautiful...now comes the hard part. I had to head back to camp and head off for a mates wedding on the Saturday and not look at the sea for another 2 days:'( I left my 2 deckies at camp, they kindly sent me SMS updates with the bar conditions for the full 2 days. One txt in particular of a 6.5m sailfish crossing a flat bar full stick with a comment along the lines of this should be us! where are you?

Finally made it back to Evans at 9.00am on Sunday morning still seedy from a late wedding night and way to many xxxx's. I was on the water and fishing the coffee rock close in at south reef by 10 and had a 75cm snap in the box by 10.15am...there is a god!
Finished the Sunday with 13 squire/snapper for the day. My best wasnt huge but a nice fish none the less. Deckie no 2 managed one of his own going nearly 60cm..he was now satisfied that the capt new what he was doing.

Monday was catch and release day for snapper and given the biggest snapper for the comp to the Monday was a 9+kg brute I thought I'd push a little wider and chase some trag and pearlies. About 3 n mile east of south reef at Evans the sounder screen lit up red...yehaa. Drop em over boys. Expecting more snapper and having discounted any nasties I was a little perplexed when all 3 lines went limp half way to the bottom..nothing...its like on Sienfeld when Jerry has a an encounter with "NEWMAN"........I muttered under my breath with the utmost of distain..."LEATHERJACKETS" It didnt matter where we went..any deeper than 30 m and..."LEATHERJACKETS". So with a dozen "LEATHERJACKETS" in the box and missing a full box of 7/0's we motored in closer and managed to pic up a dozen trag in a last ditched effort to salvage some pride, the young fella (deckie no 1) managed 3-4 squire on S.P one of which was scoffed by what I can only imagine was a cod. By the time the cod let it go he was a mess. Muzz if you read this I now know exactly how you feel about..."LEATHERJACKETS"!

I had to work Tuesday and grudgingly left camp at 7 for the office. Again the bar was flat and again I fielded a dozen txt msgs asking where the heck was I. It became to much at 2pm and by 3.30 I was sounding around a ledge that has produced the odd jew for me in the past. A good show of fish and couple of drifts to get the lie right and the baits went over the side. A couple of tailor slabs hit the bottom soon after. At 4.05 the young bloke picked up a mowie that went hard and then went back over the side. At 4.10 I had my first solid bump and at 4.15 a 14kg jew hit the deck. That was followed not long after by a solid double hookup one of which pulled the hooks, the other was my young blokes first jew. A respectable 12kg model..do you reckon he was happy in the pic, He's only 43kg ringing wet so it was a laugh to watch with 50lb braid. It was about that time that a mate back in Cassino txt me to say there was a big storm heading straight for Evans Head. I'd been watching it on the horizon for a while and it was filthy looking. Deckie No 2 argued the case that it was going around, and for a while you know I believe him. It was coming quick so we decided to pack it in and make a run for it. Just as I picked up the last rod it registered a solid thump. I handed the outfit to deckie no 2 so I could get ready to pull the pick. Well he hooked up and 5 minutes later a twin of the last 12kg fish was flapping in the box.
I looked back at the headland and it had disappeared in a white sheet of water..oops to late. We got the anchor up and the rain was pelting down and wind blowing at 35knts...It rained that hard that the dry bag up the front had water in it and it stung your face as it hit. Still 3 nice jew and it was beter than work.

We had a further 2 full days fishing but things went down hill on the fishing front for us after the jew trip. I spent a fair bit of time looking but with little success. I couldn't see any point bringing any more squire or trag back in so concentrated on bigger fish with little success.

Friday... the final day brought the only negative for the week and I suppose if you get that many people in the one place your bound to find some uneducated ignorant p#/*k. I found a nice little bit of country with some fish showing on the sounder. Had 3 drifts over it to find the lie then anchored up. After 25 minutes with little reward I decided we were hangin to far off the back of the mark and needed to move up a little. About that time I noticed a small half cab heading straight for us. He came right in within 30m at times and sounded around and around. Obviously I was on "HIS" spot. after 10 more minutes and him heading further seaward I said the the boys come on pull em in we'll go back up over the mark and make another drift and get better positioned. Well old mate heard the motor fire up and swung straight around. We got the anchor up and headed back up over our mark and had just cleared the ledge when ignoramous dropped the pick directly on our drift line. After a few choice words to my deckies the decision was made to leave this ignorant p#*k to it. I motored past said ignoramous but he wasnt game to look. One of his 3 deckies copped my abuse (he's the one in the red jumper in said picture of the ignoramous). Mr Rego 11 I'd be more than happy to discuss boating manners and etiquette with you at a later date if your reading. On a brighter note the highlight of the day was my youngest blokes (6y.o) first real fishing trip to sea and his first legal squire.

All in all a great week with the boys and looking forward to next year already.
A big thanks to Evans Head Coast Guard for their coverage all week and also all the organisers for a great week

Benno1
21-07-2008, 02:17 PM
quality report and pics Stonecold...glad the young fella picked up a goodun...would have made both your days :D...and as for the tools in the other boat...pay it no mind...not worth it...
(Mrs Benno1)

lethal098
21-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Nice catch there guys well done, pity about the clowns that manage to ruin it for everyone else, i think the majority of fisherman are pretty good its only the minority that spoil it for everyone else.
Cheers lethal

skipalong
21-07-2008, 05:34 PM
there was some good fish there caught again this year

samsy
22-07-2008, 06:18 AM
excellant report

mono
22-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Great report Stonecold, glad to see you got some great fish, particulary them Jewfish, well done.Shame about the hassles. Thats the reason Nugget and I gave it a miss this year after going in every comp since it started. We experienced that sort of behaviour the last couple of years but last year we had an extremely dangerous situation put on us by a couple of idiots. I'm not going to go into detail but if we had of pressed charges with the authorities (they wanted us to) these idiots would still be doing time! It really turned us off competing at that comp. We missed the other aspects of the comp so next year we might make a return and just chase whiting or flathead!
Anyway well done and next year take a video camera and look forward to sharing a beer with you.
Cheers

stonecold
22-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks Guys...and gals. Yes it was a great week. Some mighty fish caught. Biggest snap went over 11kg cleaned, biggest jew 25+kg, biggest trag 4+kg all class fish and tough to beat. Mono we did miss you this year the young bloke asked where you were. Unfortunately some people just cant help themselves. There was at least one other boat who had the same idea as ignoramous, only he was a little more thoughtful. He actually saw me cleaning jew at the ramp on Wednesday morning. He came in pinged me on the gps had a quick drop then shot through. At the end of the day he's still got to be good enough to catch the fish doesnt matter where your fishing.
Mono competitions tough for whiting and flathead Rod Blake took out the biggest lizzard again with a 6.9kg live fish...he also took the 2nd place prize with a 6.5ish kg fish. Maybe blackfish for next year, that look like a leasurely pasttime.

There was talk of cheats again this year and someone suggested Blakey was one of them. I've go the feeling that the 90%ers think that this guy keeps em in a tank. They must be blind cause I've seen Rod fishing his corner there for a week solid prior to the classic to get a feel for where the fish are.
The winner of last years biggest snap (a10kg+fish cleaned) scored 2nd prize this year (with a 9+kg fish), coincidence? cheats? I think not....I guess the doubters failed to see the boys on their mark for a week solid prior to the comp laying berly.
As for ignoramous...Im over it. I can still hear the thrilled laugh of my young bloke as he was dragged across the floor of the boat by a jew. Apprentice No 2 is still giving me a tough time because he caught all the fish on the last day. Memories that will last forever. Ignoramous can have the spot I've got all I need out of it besides most people know a good capt will alway find fish...by himself!

coucho
22-07-2008, 02:20 PM
stone cold some idiots around I agree I was fishin up the south of evans but not in the comp last thursday I anchored 5mile 40m with out anyone within a half mile of me ten minutes later there where 4 bouts within ahundred meters I am an Iluka local and I picked up to head home one of these sad b@#$$S went straight over and anchored where I was one of my fav spots that I have never seen anyone else in is now in this sad b's gps:-(

stonecold
23-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Coucho it doesnt matter where you go in life there's alway some wa#*nker trying to take a short cut to success! He may have it in his GPS but he still needs to kow how to fish......its amazing when you look at how other ppl fish. I was fueling up at Evans on the Thursday and a pair of older blokes pulled in to do the same. They still had their rods rigged ready to fish. Their standard rig was 3 4/0's ganged on a wire trace connected to a swivel which was then connected to what looked like a curtain ring or key ring. The ring is used to slip your finger into and help lift the fish aboard. Above the ring was a ball sinker the size of a house brick to take the whole lot to the bottom, (good rig for catching red harries I reckon). I remember seeing similar rigs for catching hairtail in Sydney in the 70's. Now these blokes may be smart enough to ping you on his GPS but they aren't going to catch many of the snapper or jew on your mark!