PDA

View Full Version : good night trip to the banks

lethal098
21-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Wednesday plans were put into place for friday, first night trip to the banks, would be a late start as we would not get on the water till 9pm. i finished up at a training course at 1.30 and proceeded to prepare boat and gear for the trip, crossed hornibrook bridge to see absolute glass out and nearly in tears i could not go straight out.

was itching all afternoon to get out there, finally deckie picks me up at 7 to head to the boat, got to the boat and we were straight on the road, ghost ship up the highway as major electrical issues with the trailer, not happy but ah well.

got to mooloolaba to see 8-10 boats sitting on trailers, got worried as was a little breezy, stuff it off we went, we were greeted with a stiff 15 knot n-nw wind and a little swell, ah well we just wanted to fish, was a reasonable trip out albeit a little rough, just before 11 we pulled up on our shallow ground for the night, out went the pick on a good show.

baits went donw and started getting picked off by small red throat and various other littlies, 30 minutes into it jason gets smashed and bricked, ah well unstoppable, it happened a few more times before he was able to raise it, good fish was the call and cleared the deck as it was playing up, 10 minutes in and we have it at the boat, cobia is the call yeah, i quickly gaffed the fish and into the boat comes a good 10kg cobia, yew beauty good start. baits back out and a few hits on the floater, just legal squire came over, we wanted bigger (should have kept em). constant fish coming aboard, a few rainbow runners and a couple of green job fish, started to go a little quiet but pushed on in hopes of some more good fish, tony had the bottom gear out and was sitting back, his rod doubles over and lines starts to peel, he dived got it out and proceeded to bring in the most arsy fish ever on the banks that i have ever seen, 65 cm 4 kg red emperor, i at first i thought this aint gonna be legal and told him if it went legal he was swimming home, all i want is a legal red on the end of my line, well 65 cm and a few words said and in the box he goes( he will never hear the end of it) bloody rod holder caught red emperor southern end of the banks, 30 minutes later and really went quiet,

up came the anchor and proceeded out to snapper marks in 90 metres, attempted to anchor and could not get it to hold bottom, still solid 15-20 knot wind and current, moved back in to shallow grounds mid way, out went the anchor on another good show, things were a little quiet with a few pearlies and undersize pearlies coming over, i missed 4 hits on the floater and was getting pretty pissed off at this stage, finally got a hook up and proceeded to get belted and nearly lost, up she came in hopes of big knobbie, even better 6kg spangled, yeah ha. things started to go quiet from here, up came the anchor and we started to have a few drifts about 530 ish at this stage and not 1 minute sleep between us, things went slow from here, moved back out to deeper grounds and it had all pretty well shut down, stuffed around for a while trying a few marks and nuthin, we made the plan to move south to wide cal and try a few marks i fished recently and bagged out, pulled up on first mark and out went the pick and burley started to flow, 20 minutes later a few snapper starteed to some aboard, thought yew beauty we should be right, should have shut up cause not long after it all shut down, moved out to ledge 5 km se and proceeded to put a few good pearlies in the box and a few more snapper, pulled the pin at 1pm and headed for home, 50 minutes later we were on the trailer, all 3 of us pretty tired but had accomplished something we had planned to do for a while. albeit no bag outs we finished up pretty pleased with our efforts. final tally 1 cobia, 1 red emperor, 1 spangled emperor, 3 rainbow runner, 2 greem job fish, 10 pearlies, 7 snapper and a few mixed reefies. sorry for such a long post but had to tell it all. photos are of the better fish the next day, was still pretty tired. cheers

Benno1
21-07-2008, 02:09 PM
excellent report thanks Lethal...primo feed as well...how do you eat your spanglies when theyre that big???...bake them whole or fillets???...how do you find the flesh???
(Mrs Benno1)

lethal098
21-07-2008, 02:12 PM
benno1, we fillet 95% of our catch, myself i dont eat em but deckie had it alst night and was happy with the way it was, i think he grilled it but not 100% my missus likes em steamed and she has never complained about em. cheers

Benno1
21-07-2008, 02:21 PM
ta for that Lethal...im yet to enjoy the feeling of skull dragging a legal sized emp up from the depths...i always seem to catch their younger brothers :(

wadeo
21-07-2008, 03:35 PM
good report mate ya got to be happy with that. Joining the small minority that have caught a legal red off moloolaba.
regards wadeo

jm82
21-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Well Done Lee,
Good To see you Gettin a Few

Cheers Josh

keenfishr
21-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Cheers for the report legal. Sounds like a long night,but still some quality fish caught. Great effort to you and your mates!!

lethal098
21-07-2008, 05:27 PM
josh, thanks mate havent seen you for a while whats been goin on?

wadeo, i wish it was me that had joined the club, words cant describe how me and jason felt about tony gettin it, bloody rod holder fish shouldnt count. cheers

skipalong
21-07-2008, 05:27 PM
good work mate

BtotheM
21-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Nice Work Mate

Vindicator
21-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Some good fish there lethal. Sounds like you did a few miles to get them but in the end you got some decent ones. Well done.

Cheers
Kezza

bballfisho
21-07-2008, 08:17 PM
nice fish there mate, there must be a few legal reds out there with the amount of undersize ones i manage to catch.

interesting to hear a few green jobbies caught. was there much size to them?

good on ya
connor

aerordauto
21-07-2008, 08:33 PM
gday lethal, great to c a few reds coming of the banks, what night where u out there.
cheers mark

lethal098
21-07-2008, 09:08 PM
mark we were out there friday night till 2pm saturday, was a prety blowy night with 15 to 20 nw blowin but once the pick was out it wasnt to bad, have been out in worse. cheers

connor, jobies went 50, no huge but still a good fight, first time for me out there. was good to get a red all be it not my rod. damn maybe next time

Clyde
21-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Great read, I know what it is like chasing your first red. I'm sure it's just around the corner......

Nice sweetlip, Cheers,
Clyde

dayoo
22-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Lethal, its a milestone to get a legal red off the Banks. Have caught plenty off Fraser but zilch from the Banks.

Cheers
Barry

lethal098
22-07-2008, 08:07 AM
BARRY, thanks for that have pulled plenty of undersize ones but a good catch none the less, did you guys fish over the weekend????

-spiro-
22-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Some very good quality there mate....well done

jarhead
22-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Top stuff, it's alway's nice coming in with a few quality fish.

Wal

Wax_head
22-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Nice catch. If only I had a bigger boat and wallet I'd be out at the banks too!!!
Fished the Neerings on Monday arvo for a feed. The wind was up by 5pm, when I got back to the ramp there were some huge snapper frames. Lucky buggers.

lethal098
23-07-2008, 11:39 AM
thanks guys for all your comments, wax_head wallet doesnt really matter that much as the weather half the time is crap, if the weather was good every weekend it might hurt a little more but between 3 of us its not that bad. cheers

littlemac
26-07-2008, 06:32 PM
nice fish and report lethal, but i still want to know if you are allowed to tow the trailer without any lights at night. ha ha lee

brett

littlemac
26-07-2008, 06:34 PM
hey lethal,

that is one nice red- even better that is out of the rod holder

brett

lethal098
28-07-2008, 01:25 PM
brett, yeah thanks mate, have been waiting for someone to mention the trailer lights, its all fixed now i rewired the whole trailer on saturday and replaced lights, all working now, dont mention the rod holder still a touchy subject. cheers