PDA

View Full Version : Maggi Shoals Townsville

scorpionNQ
21-07-2008, 12:12 PM
A last minute decision on Saturday arvo to chase a few macks Early Sunday proved to be a good call. The coast guard boat ramp was chocka Saturday and still 90% full we we arrived at 5.30am Sunday. Headed to a mark I had at Maggi shoals (first time we fished it) in my new longboat. There were 3 boats there already, and as we mooched around for some bait schools, saw a couple of whales doing their thing. Threw the anchor out and there was continual bait and fish on the sounder the whole time we were anchored. There wasn't much of a run so we drifted pillies without floats. There was a constant reading of fish at 12m anyway, and sure enough within 10 minutes, the fun began. School Spanish around the 1m mark were on the chew. We boated 2, then lost the next 2, then I hooked a large trevor which stopped all other fishing for half an hour, but just couldn't get it to the surface. We were locked in under extreme load about mid water in a bit of a stale mate, when me 20yo tournament rod snapped just above the second guide, then the fish decided to do another run, and thankfully the line snapped. Just as well, my mate was starting to get a bit peeved off about me 'wasting time' and lets get back into the macks. Caught 2 more, lost 2 more, double hook ups, lines crossing and PING..... also I like to use heavy mono, but I will take some wire next time. About 9am, it went all quite, so we decided to do a troll, as we had been watching this cat trolling past us and picking up a few. 5 minutes into it and old mate hooks up, so I back off the throttle and start winding the blue Halco in, and then I am on as well. Old mate is busted off, and I am on to something big. 20 minutes later, again can't seem to get the fish to the surface, but told impatient old mate I want this lure back, finally saw it was a rather large shark, he saw the boat and bolted, then the line went limp, but luckily the lure was still attached, a bit worse for wear, bit still worked. Next 15 minutes got 2 more which was our bag limit of 3 each, and headed back to the ramp by midday. Best morning fishing I have had for a while, and I think this particular day you could have caught them all day long. This is my first fishing report, and hope to do many more (going to try to catch up to Alchamy)
Cheers
Lee

pilchardjones
21-07-2008, 01:07 PM
top report there lee. nice eating size macks.
steve

Scott nthQld
21-07-2008, 01:39 PM
nice fish mate, bet they were a ball of fun.

What sort of ground, is the Maggie shoals? I've got a few marks that have been given to me, but have'nt been yet, what anchor were you using?

lethal098
21-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Nice catch there guys well done
Cheer lethal

Nic
21-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Great report Scorpion, sounds like a great session... as soon as I'm back from Bris I'm going to have a go myself! I have scored some Laser Pro 190s in the new Fusilier colour and am keen to see how they go on the Spaniards. Which lures were you using?

scorpionNQ
22-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Scott -

Maggi shoals covers alot of ground behind the Island and over towards the Palms. We had 2 awsome marks closer to the Palms but they belong to the green zone now. However there is still lots of area left. Spoke to a fellow fisher not long ago and he showed me a pic of a 9kg Nanni his wife got about 6-8kms from the back of Maggi. Check out those marks!! There is soft coral and rubble patches. I usually use a sand anchor, but shackle the chain to the head of the anchor, and zip tie the chain link to the shank (where you nornally shackle the chain)

Nic-
I was wondering why big Carl Rackerman took his mates out.....while the cats away hey...
It was a hectic session, and I will be straight out there again as soon as the weather drops. There are alot of good lures out there, however halco's are one of my favorite, we were using the 190 blue pilchard and red/white RMG (another favorite) and we lost a flouro green bibliss Lively 120 lure first up. We came to the conclusion that they were that thick most lures would have worked. Dave can PM me if you want some directions.

Cheers
Lee

Alchemy
22-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Scott -

Nic-
I was wondering why big Carl Rackerman took his mates out.....while the cats away hey...
It was a hectic session, and I will be straight out there again as soon as the weather drops. There are alot of good lures out there, however halco's are one of my favorite, we were using the 190 blue pilchard and red/white RMG (another favorite) and we lost a flouro green bibliss Lively 120 lure first up. We came to the conclusion that they were that thick most lures would have worked. Dave can PM me if you want some directions.

Cheers
Lee

G'day Lee,

I'm keen to get out and do some more exploring around those shoals. The perfect way to do it is by dragging a few lures around with eyes glued to the sounder. Hopefully that way you find some bottom fish and nail a spaniard in the one trip.

Regards,
Dave.

ronnien
23-07-2008, 07:57 PM
thats a ripper of a report mate. going to be hard to match it & being your first report cant wait for the 2nd.

ron.

scorpionNQ
25-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks Ron. Just watching the weather closely now. Sunday morning looks reasonable, so will slip out there again. Have given most of the fish away to family, so hoping to catch another 3 spanish.
Cheers

ronnien
25-07-2008, 12:53 PM
sunday does look to be good & it should not take long to get your 3 spanards!
im heading over to westpoint & around that area if the weather holds, good luck mate.

ron.

leezor
25-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Lee, great sess there mate, well done. We ended up heading to a spot 4 miles or so the other side of Sally and picked up around 25 or so Spotties. Heaps of small Spans in amongst them but nothing worth keeping.
Will be heading out again early Sunday morning to give it another bash, though I have a heap of marks around Maggy shoals which I wouldn't mind trying. Next time I see you at the ramp will come over and say hello. Good luck over the weekend mate.
Cheers,

Lee

scorpionNQ
26-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Lee

Sounds like you had a good time yourself. Your spot is a heap closer as well.
Yes, I have seen you down the ramp twice now in the new striper.....boat looks good mate. I will be down at the ramp again Sunday morning, but might have to go a bit earlier than usual to avoid the rush. This spot I fish is about 45ks out, will fish for our bag limit of spanish, then find some good bottom and try for some reds. Will post the results. Good luck with your fish Sunday.
Cheers
Lee

Cobia Kid
28-07-2008, 04:43 PM
r u sure that shark u got the lure back from was a shark, i find the sharks have very tough mouths, just like there skin and there are very hard to drop. is there a chance it was a cobia?,
sounds like u had a ball anyways,
cheers,
jamie

scorpionNQ
29-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Jamie,
I got it to the side of the boat (just) so had a good view. I always double check the shark/cobia and I have missed out once before.
Cheers