PDA

View Full Version : Yalta Craft 1600 & Force 75 Hp

Fish Lips
20-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi all,

looking at buying our first boat and have found this one, any thoughts on the boat and/or the motor would be appreciated.
Also what should i expect to pay for this type of set-up?

Cheers

Fitzy

Hull is Yalta Craft 1600
16ft long

Motor is 1996 Force 75 Hp in good cond.

This is the advert for the boat,

"16ft Yaltacraft Deep V Offshore 1/2 Cabin . 75hp Power Tilt Mercury Force only 210hrs in immaculate ''as new' condition. 25lt main tank plus 12lt reserve, fold down canopy plus full Storm covers, new front ''Springfield'' upholstered swivel chairs, Furuno GPS Navigator, Eagle Magna 2 Fishfinder, GME marine Transceiver radio, marine compass, large ''Bermuda'' fold down bait board, new elec bilge pump, Flares, V sheet, Sand and Reef anchors, brand new Trailer Hydraulic Brake System and new ''Bearing Buddies'', rod holders, battery isolation safety switch, 3 brand new adult life jackets, swing down aux motor transom. Boat is in excellent condition and is the ideal Family/Fishing/Ski Boat .

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31217&stc=1&d=1216546652

trev1
20-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Boats probably OK but I think I would dodge the outboard. They haven't been made for years and although you still can get parts for them, I dont think they had a very good reputation anyway.

Mtx
20-07-2008, 08:01 PM
you wont be upset with a yalta

BM
20-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Force outboards ceased production in 2000. Force was a new name for Chrysler outboards which (in my opinion) were the best outboard in their day. Chrysler's marine division was only closed as part of a US Government bailout for the parent companies main automotive activities.

Chrysler went to US Marine (Bayliner and other brands) in 1984 and then Brunswick (Mercs parent company) bought US Marine in about 1990 and inherited the Force brand. From then on Mercury slowly adapted the Force engines to have more and more Merc parts although they never opted to fit oil injection and develop the brand which is a shame.

Force are good engines and parts are available but the general public will shy away from the Force to some degree and as such have a lower value.

Cheers

Fish Lips
21-07-2008, 08:52 AM
thanks for your opinions guys.
i appreciate all the help i can get.

who would have thought buying a boat could be so stressful. :(

BM
21-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Buying a used boat is very stressful. Particularly if its an older boat. Much of what you get told is inaccurate, actual length is usually less than stated length and actual age is usually older than stated age. Typically around 10yrs age difference is not unusual.

Make sure you pay someone reputable to inspect it pre purchase. $200 for an inspection (assuming the guy you choose knows what he is doing) is money exceptionally well spent. Buy without an inspection if you like gambling. Boats are not like cars, there are many more pitfalls and they are all expensive.

Do you blokes up north have anyone who advertises specifically for boat inspections?

Cheers

Az
21-07-2008, 09:44 AM
only 25lt main fuel? seems too small for a boat that size. I would be looking at what provisions it has to upgrade to a bigger tank. I guess it depends what you intend on using it for.

Gagga08
21-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Fitzy

Just out of interest what is the price tag on the boat?

Gagga

Mtx
21-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I make the assumption that the 25ltr main tank is not underfloor.

Fish Lips
22-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Checked out the boat on Sunday.

Went back yesterday and bought it.

Seller was asking $9,750 we settled on $8,500.

Seemed like a fair price compared to the heaps of junk for the same price at commercial boatyards.
....but i'm not really sure as this is my first boat and i dont know much about boats... what do you guys think???

Boat is in immaculate condition for its age, just the sort of boat i was looking for, elderly fussy owner, very well maintained.

Hull is a 1985 model, engine is a 1996 model

Fuel tanks are plastic on the floor type, 25lt & 12lt backup.

The previous owner has completely rewired the boat and done a very good job, proper fuse box all wires labelled etc..

No sign of rot in the hull, no major cracks, no mildew or funny smells in the cab or under the seats.

Motor pumps plenty of water and runs well and has service history.

Gps and Sounder & Radio seem to work well. Came with all safety gear in near new condition.
All cables and linkages have been well lubricated.

2 brand new marine batteries (only one is wired up though, the other is a spare, i might look into getting them both wired up, anyone got any ideas on how to do it and costs etc...)

Full storm covers in great condition

Trailer is in near new condition and previous owner just fitted brakes (disc) about six months ago.

All in all it looks bloody fantastic sitting on the trailer in my shed, i guess the real test though will be how she handles the water.

It was a big risk buying it without having a "road test" but i went with my gut feeling and trusted the previous owner.

Got the boat home yesterday arvo and spent all night going over it with a fine tooth comb and cant fault it.
I was out in the shed till about 1am drinking beer and making boat noises ;D

Wife came out to shed about 12.30am and said "if you dont come to bed now, you can sleep in the bloody boat" LOL

Thanks all for your advice and comments

will keep ya posted

cheers

fitzy.

reelchippy
22-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Wife came out to shed about 12.30am and said "if you dont come to bed now, you can sleep in the bloody boat" LOL

If thats your wife in the avater i think you should go to bed :o:o;D;D
good pickup on the boat.cheers

Mite need to up size like 2x 50lt

Fuel tanks are plastic on the floor type, 25lt & 12lt backup.

Getout
22-07-2008, 12:35 PM

If thats your wife in the avater i think you should go to bed :o:o;D;D

Failing that, she is welcome at my place. I'd go to bed early.

thelump
22-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Looks great mate.:o And the new boat looks alright too;D .I'm glad I'm not the only one who sits in the boat drinking beer on dry land. I reckon beer tastes as good in a boat as it does on a deck or at the footy. (maybe keep the making of boat noises to yourself though mate or you may give us type a bad name;) )Welcome to "The strange people who own Yaltacraft" club.Member#02;D

Fish Lips
22-07-2008, 10:18 PM
OOPS!!!

seems like i have upset the powers that be.

my avatar has been pulled for being "innapropriate".

so i have substituted it with a nice photo the missus took of me in the sunset.

im sure those of you who saw my oringinal avatar will appreicate it;D