PDA

View Full Version : Topshotting mono with braid

iricangi
20-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Considering topshooting my current mono with braid for greater feel of bites and nibbles, currently can't feel much business with the lb of mono and depth we are fishing, so are favouring our braided rods atm, but considering topshotting our tlds with braid.

Anyone else topshot with braid or even bottom bash with braid and recommend it?

Horse
20-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Great idea. Obviously your reel has the mono line capacity you want so go for it. What class line are you using and what are you going to target?

iricangi
20-07-2008, 08:09 PM
30lb mono atm thinking of going 50lb braid with 50-70lb fluro leader

disorderly
20-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah as Horse states it's a good idea...either 50 or 80 lb braid...I have tried a few brands but am now using suffix performance braid...
In the deeper water you will gain much more "feel' plus when there is a bit of run you will find and hold bottom better with the smaller diameter braid....you will also be able to put more hurt on the fish than with 30 lb mono....important when the noah's are around.

BTW what species are you targeting and what depth?

Scott

Platitudinus
20-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi;
I used 30lb & 50lb 'dacron' since the early seventies and for the last 10 years modern braid in anything over 50 metres + of water over wrecks and reefs but have always ensured I have a long leader of stronger mono according to the bottom structure. Wrecks and reefs shred and chaff braid, hence the need to wind on flouro carbon leader of at least 5 metres. Check on the sounder how much the structure rises off the bottom and adjust accordingly. You will be amazed when you feel all the bites. I moved to the Gold Coast three years ago and regularly fish with the charters over the 36's and 50's. The main problem here is not the rough bottoms (and you should always use a 'rotten bottom' to tie on your lead) but the mess you can get on a crowded boat with others using mono. Get onto the corner of the boat and use a lighter lead and you should be ok.
Hope that helps.
Platitudinus

Horse
20-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Just be carefull about top shotting heavier braid over the mono. If you break off it will be at the weakest point. Most braid breakes well over stated B/S while mono is reasonably close to stated. I normally use mono backing at least as strong as the braid

Neil