PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Moreton and Straddie

Angla
20-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Planned a Overnight trip around the full moon. The weather was looking pretty perfect so the calls were made and a deckie was found. Gary just had to give up his weekend on call, with little resistance.

We left Manly at around 1.00pm saturday and cruised to the South passage bar for an easy crossing, We motored over to the bait grounds and could only pull 1/2 a dozen livies after much work. They just were not playing the game. Saw Timiboy go past and heard a little radio chatter.

We kept to our plan and looked at the 29's with no takers so we proceeded to the 35's and went straight into action. Losing the first really big hit with a spat hook sent us into a spin and it was on. Gary scored first with a few quick keeper squire while all I could get was a flattie. (I hate these starts) Then my rod took off and a steady battle resulted in a 62cm snapper. Gary was then into another good fish and pulled a 57cm fish up to the boat. Then a big bite hit and probably a 5 minute struggle to get it 10 metres off the bottom, (only 60 metres to go) before it chafed the line through. I'm calling it a Cobe or AJ but maybe it was a Grey suit.

At this point they went off the bite so we anchored near the start of our drift and set out all the rods and lit the fire for hot food and coffee as the moon rose and the water glassed out. We had planned to rise for a predicted midnight bite period but got up late to find most of the rigs bittin clean off. At this poin I decided to sit there and re-rig all the lines for a morning session.

Gary and I both found no action drifting over the same ground so we took off to Square patch with the same result. Figurung that off moreton was slow, we motored down to Straddie and the 50 metre line where I have had success with good squire numbers. No joy there so we pulled the pin for a quick trip back throught the middle crossing at the bar and a equally quick trip over the bay with what seemed to be square waves about a foot high at most.

TOP TRIP. Thanks Gary for the company.

Chris

Skusto
20-07-2008, 06:07 PM
hi nice catch they were very timid thats for sure ,great night but just nice being out there

TimiBoy
20-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Onya! It was hard work pulling in a feed, huh? Go figure...

Cheers,

Tim

marco
20-07-2008, 07:31 PM
hey angla,
pretty much the same deal for me just a bit earlier , and i just wanted to add about being blow flied on the 35's , it is getting beyond a joke with the lazy bastards that will not do there own work .

also thanks for your advice on the bow light , it works a treat

mark

tenzing
20-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey Chris, I took my oldest and one of his mates around the top to deep tempest about the same time,
Ended up with a bag of small mixed reefies. a bit of everything but nothing spectacular.
Brought them home for bed. A little over an hour back to scarborough, it was like driving on fresh hotmix. I actually had a beer sitting on the side of the boat for a while at deep, boat was so still it didnt spill a drop.

Good to see you brouht home a feed.
Cheers Brendan

Angla
20-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Brendan, Was a top night and like you said, not a ripple there for a while. The night did get a little lumpy but it was great to see it settle down to another perfect day. Fish or no fish.

Chris

tenzing
20-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Yes Chris. The full moon was rising over a dead calm sea. The boys were tired from hauling wildlife up from 70m and the world was at peace.
Would not matter if it was my last dollar, I would not have missed that scene for all the world.
Brendan

trueblue
22-07-2008, 03:19 PM
the flattie was an interesting start... looks like a good feed there though

cheers

Mick