PDA

View Full Version : Terrific Townsville

Alchemy
20-07-2008, 02:18 PM
A couple of fellas (Macca and Tim) from work joined me Saturday arvo for a fish out from Townsville. We launched after lunch and took our time heading to our mark, not starting to fish till about 630pm as the moon rose. As we cruised around our spot the sounder lit up like a Christmas tree, so out went the pick closely followed by our lines.

First drop and Maccas into a good fish, which turned out to be a solid nannygai in the 7kg range. Tim had a few tackle problems early on, so I was next to land a nanny. It didn't take Tim long to sort out his tackle and he too chimed in with a couple of nannies and a fat cod.

Within two hours the 130 litre Evakool was full, so we moved off to find a quiet spot to spend the night and have a feed. All of the fish in this session were caught on squid bait.

Next morning and we thought we'd go try our spot again. Macca was first over the side and to my surprise brought in a just legal red. This is the first red we've seen here. Another first from here were a couple of hussar. Macca also got another good nanny of around 7kg.

Tim and I concentrated this morning on the SPs. It didn't take long for the trevally to find the SPs, with a good six or so coming in quick time. Tim nailed a couple of school macs on his Gulp, then hooked into a really good fish. After a few minutes a great fingermark of 6.5kg was in the net. By far the best finger from this spot so far.

Given one esky was already full we decided we had more than enough and headed for home, arriving back at the ramp about 1030am.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Regards,
Dave.

Fisher4life
20-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Looks like you had another great fishing session again Dave. You definately have the fishing up here all sorted.

Well done
Josh

Nic
21-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Dear me, look how the photo quality decreases when I'm not there. ;)

Scott nthQld
21-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Great Session Dave, sounds like you slayed em once again. And near perfect weather for the weekend, how good was it.

revs57
21-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Good to see your enjoying it up there Dave, a very nice bag - those Scarlets are an exceptional fish and great eating too

Conditions dont look too bad either and no blowfly's!

jimbo 69
21-07-2008, 03:26 PM
what sort of cod is that?

Alchemy
21-07-2008, 06:39 PM
I reckon we've been lucky to stumble on to a couple of good spots Josh. Really need to get out and do some more exploring just so we have a few more options.

Thanks Scott, the conditions were good. I'd been away for the last three weekends so was keen for a fish and happy as when I saw that forecast.

Rhys, the scarlets are one of my favorite fish to both catch and eat! I used to get a few around Hervey Bay, but no where near the size we've been finding them up here.

Jim, I've been told they are a gold spot cod but am happy to be corrected if that is not correct.

Regards,
Dave.

Malcolm1976
21-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Mate, I love seeing quality fish caught off Townsville. I just wish I could get onto some!! How far did you have to go for these guys?

scrubba01
22-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Great catch, nothing beats an esky full of red fish. I must agree with Nic the photo quality isn't up to the usual high standard.
Keep putting up all these posts of great fish and Townsvilles population is going to boom with a heap of fisherpeople.

Scott nthQld
22-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Quick Dave...no more reports. If Townsville's fishing population booms anymore there won't be any room to park the car at the ramp! And council has no plans on making more parking available.

Alchemy
22-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Malcolm, we were out about 70km from Townsville.

Scrubba, hows the new boat going and motor? I think you're right about the pics. Nic certainly takes more effort to get good quality pics, as well as the underwater shots.

Scott, I know what you mean about parking. We launched after lunch on Saturday and there were cars and trailers on the road half way to town. We were lucky enough to jag one in the carpark though. What amazes me about Townsville is that there seems to be so many trailer boats, but stuff all parks with ordinary ramp facillities. Go to Cardwell and you get a good ramp with pontoon with space for a few boats at once. The Coastguard ramp at Mackay is better again. I thought those clowns in local government were going to do something about it?

Regards,
Dave.

jtpython
22-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Thats a stoker of a trip boys for some quality fillets
And a horsey finger mark youse would be more then happy with the quality
Grates guys
Excellent fish
JT

ronnien
22-07-2008, 08:38 PM
dave,

70km from t"ville but not 70km out, judging by the water colour the finger & the grunter you were not far out at all. very good catch mate, keep those reports coming please.

ron.

p.s its a greasy cod & they got a max of 100cm, very nice eating.

reel scream
23-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Great fish. Well done.

Cheers Scott

reel scream
23-07-2008, 01:00 AM
Great fish. Well done.

Cheers Scott.

scrubba01
23-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi Dave
Have just got through the run in period with the new motor went out off Brunswick Heads the other day did 100K's for 80 L. It was a glassed out run in and we were WOT for about 10K's so I was resonably happy with this. I think we should get about 1.4 K's to the litre under normal operating driving it right which is a lot better than 800m to the litre with the old 225 2 stroke.:D

Do you think the Nannies stay around all year or will they dissapear for a few months like they do down this way?

tuna boy
23-07-2008, 11:44 AM
hello dave...another top catch,well done to you and your crew......ive gotta kid nap mark and come visit......hows bob doing????????????....cheers johnno..

Alchemy
23-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks JT. We were very happy with that finger, particularly as it took an SP.

Ron, thanks for the cod ID.

Thanks Scott.

Scrubba, as a matter of interest I get around 0.8 litres per km, though at times it is as low as 0.75. So far as how long the nannies will hang about, not sure. We found this spot in December last year, and so far it has produced for us each time we've been there, so hopefully they'll hang about all year.

Johnno, HTFU mate ;D Actually I think Bob misses you :-* Yep, get Mark organised and you can compare the Rooneys nannies to the NQ specimens.

Regards,
Dave.

Scott nthQld
23-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Dave, the nannies hang around permanently, but in the summer months, they tend to like deeper water more, winter they come into shallow water for a bit of warmth, something I could do with right now, this bloody weather's like Melbourne!

tuna boy
23-07-2008, 08:00 PM
sounds good to me dave,rooneys was a blast mark and i still talk about it!!!!!!!!!would be great to catch up with you and bob again.,.........and HTFU rite back at ya.......

hookinin
23-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Great lookin nannies and the finger would have to go hard on a plastic outfit,have to put a smile on your face.
Cheers Gaven

3bagsfull
24-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Great catch...

I went out that weekend near the Cleveland weed beds and got nothing... :(
I've got to explore more!!