PDA

View Full Version : Fishing and Fuss Pots

Scalem
20-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I was wondering how many other fishos have developed the same attention to detail as I have when it comes to fishing, and whether, collectively, all the things I habitually do, increase my success as a fisherman. From an outsiders' perspective, I could be considered to have become overly fussy, but I think there are areas where I could still learn from the experiences of other fishermen and tighten up on other aspects of the fishing game. What am I on about?

Here's some examples

If my leader material is less than 1 meter in length, I tie on a new piece.
If there are any abbrasions on the leader, which I look for every time I wind in, I cut out the abbrasion, and re- Tie
I must change the colours/ patterns of plastics I am using at least 20 times in a session, seldom being satisfied that the one I am using is working the best - same goes for the weight of jighead, but to a lesser extreeme.
If the jighead has lost its sharpness, I throw it away. I used to sit there with a little sharpening stone and try to get the tip sharp again, but if there is any doubt, I don't bother any more.
I split 60 litres of fuel between 3 fuel containers, to evenly distribute the weight in the boat
I ALWAYS fire the motor on the earmuffs the night before a trip, just to make sure it will work . Nothing worse than getting to the ramp only to find the batteries are flat.
My premix 2S oil is mixed to the mililitre ratio. If the oil is not right on the measure line, I am not happy
If the motor is not running properly, I can't relax while fishing, I am better off turning around and going home.Too fussy? Anyone else like me?::)

Scalem

jtpython
20-07-2008, 01:01 PM
WOW
Mate i think most of us are the same
Down to the last part of the rigs i check the rig each fish for weakness any abrasions i have rigs made up ready to replace even down to a point of the hook has to be right
Hmmmmmmm fussiness???? Maybe perfectionists
JT

TonyM
20-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't say fussy - sounds like you're just paying attention to detail which is what seems to make the biggest difference between catching and not catching fish.

Cheers
Tony

gaintsquid
20-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I replace my jighead and plastic after every 2 or 3 casts, same with my leader, replace my spool of braid after every trip aswell.

TonyM
20-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I replace my jighead and plastic after every 2 or 3 casts, same with my leader, replace my spool of braid after every trip aswell.

Now that's obsessive! ;D

At least for me it would be - ouch that's gotta get expensive!

bluefin59
20-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Scalem i am very similar it all has to be right , i dont think i am as pedantic as that but the night before i go i usually change leaders on mine and the wifes gear and if it gets scuffed while i am fishing i change it . The same with my jighead i put a new one on every time i go out [i usually give the misses my rejects i'v got to get the ball on my side of the court somehow] i also swap my placcies around a fair bit until i find something that is working . I also have a bad habit of checking my drag a couple of times a trip and i always fill my fuel tank even if we are only going on a short run . I find that consistantly looking at these things seems to get us the goods especially when i go on my placcie charter once a month i double check my terminal tackle and if i see a knot that is the least bit wrong or untidy i do it again until its right ...matt

Scalem
20-07-2008, 03:39 PM

After every trip?????:o

Geez, let me introduce you to my favourite tackle store , they will give me even more discounts for introducing you!!;D ;D

I thought of another that costs me money. If a plastic is not perfectly straight, I tend not to use them.

And .... I get wet each time I wash the trailer down, forcing fresh water up into the drain holes, particularly at the transom end.

Scalem

johno r
20-07-2008, 04:17 PM
gaintsquid can i have your old braid that you replace after every trip ? I have braid that is still in use and over 2 years old and still goeing strong dont through it away

tunaticer
20-07-2008, 06:58 PM
I simply make sure my leaders and knots are good, I change plastics seldom as I know the range that I have rigged up for a run will work if presented right. I take 3 rods with 3 different plastics, thats my range. I do have a few dozen others in the tackle box but never seem to need to reach for them.

My old dunger 2st outboard will and does happily convert almost any mixture of fuel into some form of disgusting smog and noise and still run happily so im not overly fussed with the mixture ratio as long as it is within 5% of the mixture ratio my motor and i am happy.

Biggest thing I have learned above anything else is the right presentation and controlling the drift. Unless that is worked out for the day buckleys has a better chance than me.

Some of my braids are 5 yrs old and still keeping good knot strenght and holding about the same breaking strains. I have cycled through a lot of "advised" brands and discarded them as they were not to my preferences tho.

Being pedantic or taking the extra initiative to get your target is worthwhile, but for me, my systems work and I do not put a great deal of effort into being perfect apart from knots leaders and lines.

Jack.

RAT-KING
20-07-2008, 07:09 PM

Changing ur jig head every few casts ud spend more time tying knots than fishing!!!

Scalem most of wat ur saying is wat u should! do fishing with a fray in ur line is not on why spend all that time and money to hookup only to lose a good fish from lazyness!!!
But it sounds like a little bit of OCD ;) but wat ever floats ur boat hey!!!!
Cheers Simon

Horse
20-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty relaxed about most things but get stressed about bait quality and presentation, boat position and a host of other on water factors. My gear does the job I expect it to but there is certainly no TLC apart from a quick rinse most times
Obviously frayed leaders are changed but I can go the whole day with the same leader and only change it when its too short. Jigs and placs are changed on a needs basis most times and I stick with stuff I have confidence in

Scalem
20-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm pretty relaxed about most things but get stressed about bait quality and presentation, boat position and a host of other on water factors. My gear does the job I expect it to but there is certainly no TLC apart from a quick rinse most times

Until I found a good grease, I was taking the line guide bearing out after every trip, dowsing with Inox, repacking......

wilcara
20-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Have you heard the word O-B-S-E-S-S-I-V-E ?

So, so many fishermen and their families suffer.... then go to FLY FISHERMEN - they are even SICKER!!!!!

Ahahahahahh hhhehehehh hahahhhhaaa....

:o::);D

ronnien
20-07-2008, 08:47 PM
clean my reels every 6 months,like to have the boat so that i"m fishing onto the mark, the boat always gets washed down good, braid well......... a couple of my reels have braid that is 4yrs old & nothing wrong with it, leaders about every 5th trip they get changed if no nicks in them, hooks get me goin always making sure they are sharp,always wash & never leave the reels on the rods & every day as i walk past the boat i have to shake the fuel & make sure that there is no oil coming from behind the prop.

ron.

BREEZE470
20-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I was recently diagnosed (sp) with Chronic Depression and Obessive Compulsive Disorder ...

FINALLY I have found an activity that allows me to both RELAX and feed my OCD ;D ;D

I too ensure everything (boat - inside & out, rods, reels, lifejackets etc.) are all washed down and dried out before packing it away. I make my hubby ensure the fuel mixtures are all ok, fuel is divided evenly to both tanks, the engine is started the night before and the morning of our boat outings.

Cammy
20-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I check my line everytime i go fishin,, dont use braid only mono. I change the tackle everytime, change all knots and leaders everytime. I wash my reels out when im in a good mood or not tired lol. I look at the line after i have reeled it in only when i can feel it has been going over rocks,mangroves,,,,etc.
I have also been using the same line for a number of years, i usually get mor eline when my spool is half full.

Cam

loophole
20-07-2008, 09:20 PM
I check my line everytime i go fishin,, dont use braid only mono. I change the tackle everytime, change all knots and leaders everytime. I wash my reels out when im in a good mood or not tired lol. I look at the line after i have reeled it in only when i can feel it has been going over rocks,mangroves,,,,etc.
I have also been using the same line for a number of years, i usually get mor eline when my spool is half full.

Cam

and cammo has his gear stored away very very neat.:P

Cammy
20-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Yer well when we sell the lounge i can store it properly lol, if anyone wants a very comfy brown module couch/lounge, gimme a pm. Need to make room for a pool table :)

Cam

loophole
20-07-2008, 09:44 PM
hahah told ya do a trip to the dump in my ute.

and to get back on topic im preety obsesive about my fishing it has to be just rite otherwise im not happy.

bushbeachboy
21-07-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm similar except I use bait. Dead bait only, putting something live on a hook makes me want to puke, so I don't do it. I just make sure my bait is as fresh as possible, and routinely throw out bait I don't think is quite right. I'm so fussy I only buy prawn I can cook and eat if I feel like it. (Right there on the boat with a little portable gas stove I take most trips)

Scott nthQld
21-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm not fussy at all. I only check the leader after being bricked or snagged up, give the gear a once over with the hose after a trip, any left over bait gets kept for the burley bucket next outing.

Boat gets a good clean out, I never start the motor until the boat is in the water or is being flushed. I made myself a rod rack to keep everything tidy in the shed, but that lasted all of 2 days, next trip, my rods are spread from arsehole to breakfast time again. Al my gear goes into one neat pile in the shed too, so I know where everything is.....in THE pile.

The only thing I check before a trip is wind and then maybe tide, don't care what the tide is doing really, as long as the wind is bearable.

anthony72
21-07-2008, 04:26 PM
yep, I also suffer this disasterous disease of wanting everything to be just right, even when I am planning a trip the night before I have a check list of what to take- which is sad because I take everything in my boat, I even have different rods rigged up incase I come across tuna or queenies etc on the way, so I take four spin rods ready to go just in case, all leaders are done the night before
four rods rigged up:
1. soft plastic
2. metal 20g
3. popper ( always the favourite)
4. sammy 100mm

I know probably over kill- but that way I am prepared, and I always have a better day when I do this, when ever I rush or not do this I have a shocker.
After each trip I fill up at the end of each day, on busier days I take the faded braid off that has had a fair go and replace,

I check and recheck everything possible before and when I return I always go over everything again, rods/reels boat tackle used everything gets cleaned, reels pulled apart if fully cleaned every second trip, and hen I re-order everything I lost that day or anything I thought of I might be able to use next time.

It never ends..

For Steve
21-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Yeah I suffer a similar affliction – likely OCD. A couple of the more “unusual” things I do is to replace the leaders the day before a trip during the daylight so I can see the knots better, and talk to my plastics to encourage them to perform at their best and get the big fish to eat them.

Scalem
21-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm similar except I use bait. Dead bait only, putting something live on a hook makes me want to puke, so I don't do it. I just make sure my bait is as fresh as possible, and routinely throw out bait I don't think is quite right. I'm so fussy I only buy prawn I can cook and eat if I feel like it. (Right there on the boat with a little portable gas stove I take most trips)
That would drive me crazy - wondering If I deserve the biggest and juicyest Prawn, or whether my selfishness cost me a good fish!!;D ;D

I'm not fussy at all. I only check the leader after being bricked or snagged up, give the gear a once over with the hose after a trip, any left over bait gets kept for the burley bucket next outing.

Boat gets a good clean out, I never start the motor until the boat is in the water or is being flushed. I made myself a rod rack to keep everything tidy in the shed, but that lasted all of 2 days, next trip, my rods are spread from arsehole to breakfast time again. Al my gear goes into one neat pile in the shed too, so I know where everything is.....in THE pile.

The only thing I check before a trip is wind and then maybe tide, don't care what the tide is doing really, as long as the wind is bearable.
It's no wonder you've been thanked as many times as you have Scott that's hilarious!!! Thanks for the reply, you need to teach me how to be a little more laxidaisy about the rods and gear, I might need some councelling from you!!!;D ;D

yep, I also suffer this disasterous disease of wanting everything to be just right, even when I am planning a trip the night before I have a check list of what to take- which is sad because I take everything in my boat, I even have different rods rigged up incase I come across tuna or queenies etc on the way, so I take four spin rods ready to go just in case, all leaders are done the night before
four rods rigged up:
1. soft plastic
2. metal 20g
3. popper ( always the favourite)
4. sammy 100mm

I know probably over kill- but that way I am prepared, and I always have a better day when I do this, when ever I rush or not do this I have a shocker.
After each trip I fill up at the end of each day, on busier days I take the faded braid off that has had a fair go and replace,

I check and recheck everything possible before and when I return I always go over everything again, rods/reels boat tackle used everything gets cleaned, reels pulled apart if fully cleaned every second trip, and hen I re-order everything I lost that day or anything I thought of I might be able to use next time.

It never ends..

Anthony,
We have a few things in common, I also like to rig up the night before, mainly because I can tie a better knot in full light under a 60watt light globe, compared to arriving at spot X 5am in the morning, and being under pressure because the sounder is showing lots of fish, and the deckie catches one while I am still farting around with leader tying!!>:( ;D

Thanks for the replies!!
Scalem

nufin_flash
21-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Changing ur jig head every few casts ud spend more time tying knots than fishing!!!

Scalem most of wat ur saying is wat u should! do fishing with a fray in ur line is not on why spend all that time and money to hookup only to lose a good fish from lazyness!!!
But it sounds like a little bit of OCD ;) but wat ever floats ur boat hey!!!!
Cheers Simon

i think most of what you guys do everbody should do to make sure its a good trip out , changing jig head and line is the only thing i cant agree with.

PinHead
22-07-2008, 05:15 AM

wow..I thought I was the only one with one of those piles..they are a brilliant organisation tool..everything is in the pile..the pile occassionally get rearranged but everything still remains in the pile. It works a treat.

CHAPPY
22-07-2008, 06:51 AM
I have a computer generated check list for the boat. Everything is allocated a place in my boat shed and a visual check is made and the check list ticked off. Why? because I hate getting out there and realizing the charts or compass or something else is at home in the shed. It ruins the day.
I am not so obsessive about terminal tackle because I am only estuary fishing. But my gear is well maintained and I can not remember the last time tackle has let me down. The main things I check is the drag setting. and hook sharpness.

Chappy

Poodroo
22-07-2008, 07:48 AM
As far as the boat is concerned I run a double checking system. Bungs go in the night before when I am loading the boat up and getting it ready and then when I get to the ramp I recheck. There is no way I want to be sinking the boat after I launch it so I figure I can never be too careful. I am very similar when it comes to my leader and plastics but I guess that may be an in bred thing or I have just simply picked up the same habits from my brother. ::)
One thing you didn't mention is "STEALTH!" No LOUD talking or banging the sides of the boat with jigheads or sinkers whilst fishing. All loud deckies must sign a written contract that highlights quietness in the boat or swim home. ::) ;D (Yeah I am kidding but you get the general idea)

Poodroo

reel scream
24-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm obsessive when it comes to anchoring for floatlining. If i'm 10mtr or more off where i want to be the pick gets pulled.

Cheers Scott.

Scalem
25-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm obsessive when it comes to anchoring for floatlining. If i'm 10mtr or more off where i want to be the pick gets pulled.

Cheers Scott.

I hate that too.>:( Sometimes very hard to predict how your boat is going to straighten up in the current/wind and if you don't get it 100% right, and not get any fish, you'll get cranky wondering why....... It's not a good way of winning favour with deckies, or make sure you have an electric winch. ;)

Scalem

reel scream
25-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I hate that too.>:( Sometimes very hard to predict how your boat is going to straighten up in the current/wind and if you don't get it 100% right, and not get any fish, you'll get cranky wondering why....... It's not a good way of winning favour with deckies, or make sure you have an electric winch. ;)

Scalem

Too true. As much as variable winds are great for travelling........they give me the shites when anchoring or doing a drift over a one car body sized mark in 70mtr of water when there is minimal current. Never the same bloody drift.::)

As for Deckies- thats why God invented big orange floats and big stainless rings;) .

If there is a newby on board it does make you feel a bit shite/not competant when you get them to pull the pick 4 times in half an hour::) .

Cheers Scott

GBC
26-07-2008, 11:07 AM
We have a friend who might fit the criteria.

Some say that GANT sent the 685 as a frequent flyer gift.
Some say that his trailer is worth as much as a small country's gdp.
Some say he's caught a thousand fish - but hasn't touched one.
Some say he doesn't use flurocarbon leader - he just uses flurocarbon.
Some say he showed up in 1770 for 7 day's fishing with 7 columbia outfits in the plastic bags - and went home with none.All we know is that he is our mild mannered fussy fishing mate, and that he's called - The Bomber.

Personally - if it can't be drenched in salt spray all night, hosed off then brought back to life with a hit of INOX - let it rot.

Scalem
28-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Too true. As much as variable winds are great for travelling........they give me the shites when anchoring or doing a drift over a one car body sized mark in 70mtr of water when there is minimal current. Never the same bloody drift.::)

As for Deckies- thats why God invented big orange floats and big stainless rings;) .

If there is a newby on board it does make you feel a bit shite/not competant when you get them to pull the pick 4 times in half an hour::) .

Cheers Scott

I plumb forgot about that method of anchor retreival - I don't anchor up these days, preferring to drift my plastics. But still, if I was your deckie and have had to manhandle anchor rope half a dozen times before we actually settled over a bommie, trust me, the expression on my face would reflect my mood after having to do that much farting around trying to get the right hang. Besides, with that much noise over a chosen spot, you may as well move anyhow, the fish would have bugged out by then::) Or wait another hour for them to come back.

Scalem