PDA

View Full Version : Yeppoon Offshore - 19 July 08

Local_Guy
20-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Well what a beautiful day on the water, full throttle to all locations all day with barely a bump.

As for fishing. well thats another story.

we headed out to Barron & Child Is to make use of the perfect conditions and the fact that i have never fished there before. We anchored 20m off child Is over a good show of bait swimming below us. After about 10minutes my mate hooked onto something big.. As he is a very amature fisherman i thought he snagged the bottom and was just pulling drag against rock. That wasn't the case and this fish surfaced, made a heck of a splash then sat 1/2m below the water 20m away from the boat, it looked like a big shark and i got the knife out ready to cut the line. Fortunately for us the fish swam side on and i saw the old faithful white stripe which meant COBIA, Knife went away and gaff came out. After a 5 - 10m fight and my mate walking around the boat 1/2 dozin times we got him on board, Estimated weight of 16lbs. he maxed out my 6kg scales.

After that, everything went quiet, we didn't hear of many captures on the radio and the 30 boats around us seamed to be feeding the fish also.

We moved to several other locations to no avail, Man and wife, Outer rock and 40 acre all nothing. We trolled and bottom bashed, but the fish just didn't want to come out of their home.

Thats fishing i guess. All i can look forward to now is in 2 weeks i get to take 2 women out with me in the boat *** can't wait for that ***, then the week after is the Tight Lines Fishing Classic which i'm sure will be a cracker of an event.

jtpython
20-07-2008, 01:07 PM
HAHAHAHA
Two women mate:) ........ Haven't you taken your sister and mum out before?:P
Least you got a cobia mate ... Good to see the weather held out too for you
Waiting patiently for the tightlines as well or even just a fish would be good;D
Cheers Jase
JT

kaypee
20-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Hey fellas it was a lovely day although by the talk on the radio not many got alot... we went wide and went ok a few nice emperor and trout, red throat, blueys even a big stray cobe!!! Still theres nothing like kicking back back at high speed enjoying the ride home! now the mayhem at the ramp thats another story!!!31174

Local_Guy
20-07-2008, 05:01 PM
lol yeah, wasn't that something.... i remember seeing 5 boats landed inbetween ramps, 3 boats at a time being put onto trailers on both ramps, and about 7 boats waiting to come in.

jtpython
20-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Hey fellas it was a lovely day although by the talk on the radio not many got alot... we went wide and went ok a few nice emperor and trout, red throat, blueys even a big stray cobe!!! Still theres nothing like kicking back back at high speed enjoying the ride home! now the mayhem at the ramp thats another story!!!31174
Some nice fish Kaypee Grates
JT

rat_catcher
20-07-2008, 10:44 PM
lol yeah, wasn't that something.... i remember seeing 5 boats landed inbetween ramps, 3 boats at a time being put onto trailers on both ramps, and about 7 boats waiting to come in.
Yeah I can just imagine what it was lile...I was stuck at home working on the boat, but at least I wasn't waiting in traffic to launch and retrieve and it sounds like there wasn't much fish happening anyway. Well at least you guys got out and had a good time. That's what is important.