PDA

View Full Version : Fisheries

maztez
19-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Went down to the Grand Ramp at the broadwater around 9ish tonight to wait for Brett to come in with the Mistress .Man was it busy ...there would have been at least 8 boats return and each one had a real going over by a pair of fisho officers .Didnt hear any bad words said so I presume all was ok with no undersize catches.
cheers Terry

QuinnyII
19-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Good to hear about the fisheries being out and about, I would love for there to be a greater fisheries presence on the water around the Broadwater and Bay, especially at night to keep everyone honest.

As has been stated on this site too many times there are way to many boats not complying with the regs after the sun goes down, ie no nav and or anchor lights.

Cheers
Quinny

skippa
20-07-2008, 04:38 AM
Yeah Romeo that with the fisheries Terry,

But wot did Brett get ???? ;D

whynott
20-07-2008, 05:46 AM
It is so good to see Fisheries out and about.
I was stopped by them 2 weeks ago as I was leaving the beach after Tailor fishing. First time ever.
Lets hope that it is a sign of things to come.
Graham.

maztez
20-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I should have asked in the 1st thread as to who was the fisho at the ramp with a 4foot odd black jewfish.What a beaut catch I hope he was an ausfisher .
cheers Terry

Braddles
20-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Fisheries should get out to the sand pumping jetty! Last time I was there, I was disgusted by the number of certain people with buckets of tiny bream. I mentioned it to the dude that was watching TV in the shop at the base of the jetty, and he laughed it off....

No I have to be very P.C. here, but apparently "they" keep anything "they" catch, and then mince it up somehow (heads and all), and deep fry it as "fish balls".... I dont know if its through genuine ignorance or plain disregard, but it needs to be curbed or our precious fisheries will be ruined like "theirs".

I did call fisheries when I got back to the car, but they were pretty useless to be honest. They wanted me to take photos of the persons and their catch.... As if I was going to go back out there and start snapping off flash photos of these people and piss them off when knives and other sharp things abound and I am seriously out numbered! No thanks...... They female I spoke to said she would make a note of it - but that was it.. no word of commitment re/- someone doing anything about it...

Regards,

Brad.

Little grey men
21-07-2008, 01:03 PM
The answer unfortunately is plain disregard Braddles. This happens a lot where I fish as well. They do it because they know they won't be stopped.
When the fisheries tell you to do something about it yourself, that's a pretty good sign that they sure aren't very interested, part of the reason is because they are so drastically understaffed. There's a lot of water out there.
Fish are stocked in a nice clean lake to grow big and strong, anglers go out and have a blast catching and releasing them. Some take a feed of fish with in the law. Others get every fish they catch with no regards to size, with way too many rods and throw them in a big netted bag which is then thrown back into the dam on a rope. At the end of the day this bag is dragged out of the water and they hit the road. I've seen two people carry one of these bags because it was too heavy for one. And there's only a take limit of two bass.must have been bloody big bass hey ???
.......very very frustrating.

Dantren
21-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Brad,

I hear you, but have faith.

They know what is going on - especially in tailor season.

Fisheries officers do undercover operations on the sand pumping jetty quite often. Two officers will fish on the jetty, and two will wait in the carpark.

You would be surprised how quickly the word spreads out to the end of the jetty once someone is checked in the carpark.

It would be good to see more responsibility and honesty from all anglers.

Dan.

bondy99
21-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Fisheries should get out to the sand pumping jetty! Last time I was there, I was disgusted by the number of certain people with buckets of tiny bream. I mentioned it to the dude that was watching TV in the shop at the base of the jetty, and he laughed it off....

No I have to be very P.C. here, but apparently "they" keep anything "they" catch, and then mince it up somehow (heads and all), and deep fry it as "fish balls".... I dont know if its through genuine ignorance or plain disregard, but it needs to be curbed or our precious fisheries will be ruined like "theirs".

I did call fisheries when I got back to the car, but they were pretty useless to be honest. They wanted me to take photos of the persons and their catch.... As if I was going to go back out there and start snapping off flash photos of these people and piss them off when knives and other sharp things abound and I am seriously out numbered! No thanks...... They female I spoke to said she would make a note of it - but that was it.. no word of commitment re/- someone doing anything about it...

Regards,

Brad.

G'day Brad, mate I can tell you a story on this too, some time ago I dont know when but a couple of Aussie blokes got singled out by these fisheries people, and they walked straight passed the others and that includes asians that was on the sand pumping jetty. these guys said no to fisheries to cooperate unless they do the job proper and check the asians out as they come on the jetty instead of bypassing....the fisheries officers comments were.....they are visitors to our country.....unreal hey, they hassled these aussie blokes and got pissed off and demanded their names and addresses...cut a long story short, amongst these aussies was a barrister who produced a business card to fisheries, it might go to court but who knows....I was told about it....there was a blonde fisheries chick also...that may explain why they did not want to persue the sand pumping jetty and check the other nationalities, if you told them they were aussies, then the buggers might be out in a flash.

Thats my spin. Peter